Cinematic Questions of Great Importance

Tools    

Did Final Destination 2 make any sense plotwise?

Do you belive it was a real banana Spacey chewed on in K-Pax?

Who would you prefer to direct a Superman film; Brett Ratner, McG, or Richard Donner (again)?

Do you belive Disney was an evil jew hating bastard?

Do you like animated films as much as you like "real" films?

Did Donnie Darko rip of the big-evil-bunny from Sexy Beast?

Would True Romance have been a better film if it had been directed by Ridley and not Tony?

Is Evil Dead 2 really a good film, or just an enjoyable one?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by jrs

Answers: Donnie darko was made before sexy beast, so no.

Evil Dead 2 is an AWESOME film.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

No....Should I?
No
No
Would True Romance have been a better film if it had been directed by Ridley and not Tony?
NO
It's was a flipping awesome film

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by jrs

Who would you prefer to direct a Superman film; Brett Ratner, McG, or Richard Donner (again)?

Take another hit.

Originally Posted by jrs
Sure. I don't know. I didn't watch it.

Probably. He's one of those overrated method actors. But eating a banana with the peel isn't even close to Nic Cage chowing down on a cockroach. Spacey's kind of overrated, don't you think?

None of them are any good. I want a Spike Lee superman movie.

I don't know. Has this been argued before? I thought Hollywood in those days was run by jews. Is there a book about it or something?

Yes.

Nah, I doubt it. Donnie Darko's one of those movies that the director probably dreamed of making when he was 14. The script was probably written 10 years before the movie was made.

No way. That movie was hopeless from the start. And Ridley Scott NEVER is an asset.

It's actually a very good movie.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums

No, but kids these days don't care about things as trivial as plot.

Probably...maybe a better question would be what happened to the end of the otherwise good K-Pax?

Donner easily. Ratner has done some good stuff, so I may be willing to give it to him. McG shouldn't be allowed to direct anything with a budget until he can prove himself.

No way. Why do you even ask?

It depends on the quality of the film, but generally no. Maybe I say this because the vast majority of the masterpieces of cinema are live action.

Still need to see Sexy Beast, but I highly doubt it. It probably was more of a reference to the movie Harvey.

I'm guessing no. Ridley is by far the better of the pair, but I think that Tony's overall talents are more suited for a film of this nature. What if Quentin Tarantino made True Romance? What if he made Natural Born Killers?

Awesome. I like Army of Darkness better though.

Originally Posted by jrs

I'll answer these questions in order.
1.Not really, I do love the first one though.

2.I'd say so, but who knows?

3.Why did you even ask? Since when was Micky Mouse a nazi?

4.No, not really. Don't get me wrong I love animated movies, I just like live-action better.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Originally Posted by Steve
I don't know. Has this been argued before? I thought Hollywood in those days was run by jews. Is there a book about it or something?
It has been argued before. Took place in the VERY FIRST THREAD I ever took part in. I was doing a lot of reading on the topic at the time, and was quite frankly a bit of a conspiracy junky. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
I think it also fitting to point out that Walt Disney himself was a fascist . . . [H]istorial references in his parks are centered around the ahcivments of white Europeans. In [regards to] American history he conviniently leaves out any trace of black slavery, because the fact [that Americans] once imprisoned blacks does not matter [to him]. A theme park is, in fact, simply a controled environment in which a propetier can basically mould the sensual stimuli that makes you feel and think what he wants you to feel and think. . .
I remind you again that I was young and, well, just a little nutty. At the time I thought Chris was being a conservative "square". In retrospect, he was probably right:
Originally Posted by Yoda
I honestly don't believe it. I can buy that Walt Disney had some whacked out beliefs (despite the fact that he was quite the visionary), but I can't buy that there's racism in The Lion King. . .
Yes, it does indeed seem somewhat bizarre.

Anyway, here are a whole heap of random quotes that support the whole Disney being evil thing. I have no personal opinion regarding this matter anymore, so do with them what you will.

. . . Walt Disney had Benito Mussolini's dedicated portrait on the wall of his office until war was declared.

from GERMANY: Leni Riefenstahl and the Nazis
An interesting case in point is Mark Elliott's book, Walt Disney: Hollywood's Dark Prince, in which Elliott reveals Walt Disney's antisemitic attitudes and activities as an informant for the FBI during Hollywood's red scare in which many [screenwriters] and actors were black listed. Bantam was supposed to publish the book, but in 1991 abandoned the project. Soon after that, Bantam released the Disney Library, a popular series of books which were sold in supermarkets. Obviously, this latter book project was a lot more lucrative than Elliott's work would have been and their advertising campaigns might have been hampered by Elliott's work.

from Today's Media Conglomerates
"He was allegedly not a pleasant person, and he had a lot of decided opinions about race, he was anti-gay, he had bizarre rules about Disneyland - he would not allow facial hair, even though he had a moustache. You had to be white-bred, very clean cut, so it was a magic kingdom on the surface and a fascist kingdom on the underground."

from BBC News
In the racially intolerant era of the Casa de Fritos, another unique food concession was operated in the old Pirate Ship. Located in the area of Fantasyland now occupied by the new Dumbo ride, Skull Rock overlooked the decks of the Pirate Ship where good, god-fearing Catholics could order an odious Chicken of the Sea tuna sandwich each and every Friday and on any Holy Day of Obligation as defined by the liturgical calendar or when the restaurant manager deemed the tuna fish was starting to turn.

While this concession was hailed as an example of religious sensitivity in an L.A. Times Op-Ed article written by then Cardinal McIntyre, in truth Walt had an ulterior motive. Noting that the vast majority of Catholic guests visiting Disneyland were from the immigrant underclasses, he made certain the tuna sandwiches were heavily laden with saltpeter in an effort to severely reduce the birthrate of this sub-population.

Admittedly a ham-handed and ultimately unsuccessful attempt at social engineering, nevertheless Walt continued to donate vast sums of money each year to the University of California, Berkeley to support the research of Dr. William Shockley and other like-minded social engineers working on the problems of over population.

from Disneyland: "The Happiest Place on Earth"
[P]erhaps the best insight into Walt's serious flirtation with fascism and neo-Nazism was his singular preoccupation with railroads. Putting aside the phallic Freudian symbolism of a pulsing, turgid locomotive as it might relate to Walt's own uncircumsized behemoth, is there a baby boomer alive today who can ever forget the putrid, sulphurous stench of the old Mineral Springs Railroad nightmare through the fetid bowels of Frontierland?

One can only speculate on the motive to herd thousands of innocent, wide-eyed guests into the cattle cars of the Disneyland Railroads and transport them to phantom destinations proclaimed in the dulcet tones of an authoritarian disembodied voice over blaring loudspeakers strategically placed in each rail car. Wisely, numerous holocaust survivors vehemently and vociferously refused to board the trains on their first, and assuredly last, visit to Disneyland.

from Disneyland: "The Happiest Place on Earth"
In the hands of the Disney Company history is flexible. A happy face takes the place of real issues, and the policy comes down from above with an iron fist to back it up. In the grand tradition of American corporate power the Disney conglomerate makes full use of the police of the republic, and the power and authority of the republic, to protect and advance its interests. We take it for granted that a clean street is a value all by itself, even if to attain that value we have to give up our freedom. We lose sight of the Faustian overtones that color our transactions with the republic. We begin to believe that working and drudgery is the normal lot of individuals, and we lose the will to dream and aspire. It is ironic that the Magic Kingdom has come to symbolize the concentration camp and the penal code.

from The Wonderful Fascist World of Disney
Of course, some of the best links from 2001 are defunct now [there was even a hilarious piece the length of a thesis somewhere that examined even further Disney's love for trains and the manner in which that "proved" he was a Nazi], so you'll have to dig a little deeper yourself if you're interested in reading more.

It's all crazy, sure, but it's fun crazy, and probably why I got so very into it in the first place.

Enjoy.

Sure, it sucked, but it kinda made sense.

It was, at least according to the commentary on the DVD

ummmm none of em..how about Carpenter or Raimi

No idea

Not usually, but Nemo was a recent film I enjoyed alot.

Click Here

No, I doubt it

Great movie

I am giving this a bump.

Not because of the thread itself, which I think is stupid, but because I want to discuss Disney fascism.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I am giving this a bump.

Not because of the thread itself, which I think is stupid, but because I want to discuss Disney fascism.
Cool - coz it looks like there are some dubious connections that haven't been mentioned

I really don't know at all if Disney followed Nazi idelogies (tho if the stuff about him supporting Berkeley academics pursuing Euthanasia are true - that's very far from good.)

He certainly wasn't a "good" man in my book on a few core issues:
-he pioneered kiddie-advertising along with mcdonalds (and indeed the idea of synergistically linking brands and formats to hit 'em from lots of angles)
-he definitely used the red-fear to advance his ambitions - including removing his competition and keeping his own animators in line. (and what a unloveable little Ford-ist conveyor-belt line it was. Talk about sucking the fun out of fun - the scum )

But anyway, here' a nice little "fascist" link. He employed two highly dubious charcters from the old Nazi regime:

-Werner von Braun cohosted and helped produce his "Man in Space" series and other "Tommorwland" episodes. Altho then serving in the US army's rocket science division, previously he had been an early member of the Nazi party and a member of the SS. At least 20,000 slave-labourers died at the rocket manufacturing plant which built the rockets he worked on (Dora-Nordhausen). Lovely lad eh?

-Heinz Haber, another Tomorrowland collaborator, and eventually chief scientific consultant for Disney, previously worked testing high-altitude flight for the Luftwaffe. To check safety he and others performed tests on hundreds of inmates of the Dachau concentration camp near Munich. The inmates who survived were normally killed then dissected. He co-hosted the Man in Space show with Braun.

As for the visual "grammar" he used to express any sentiments that were in line with these charcters, i'll leave that to you Silv. But personally i don't like the way he sucked the hard-hitting truths out of the original stories like Snow White and turned them into Fordistic/worker-bee-work-ethic hymns or what have you. Not impressed. And the people that live in those little disney-villages that have been developed over recent decades, are just nuts. Disney homogenous sterile morality made-real. Bler. Guess they all bought the dream as kids (or had it synergistically sowed into their flabby little brains )

I am giving this a bump.

What about racism?

Did you see Haunted Mansion?

Without giving anything away, we have a successful white european plantation owner who falls in love with a slave girl.

WARNING: "Haunted Mansion" spoilers below
...of course at the end they ascend together to the same heaven... so all is jiggy...so to speak.

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
What about racism?

Did you see Haunted Mansion?

Without giving anything away, we have a successful white european plantation owner who falls in love with a slave girl.

...of course at the end they ascend together to the same heaven... so all is jiggy...so to speak.
When was it made? I've never heard of it.

A system of cells interlinked
No Clue, didn't see it.

Do you believe it was a real banana Spacey chewed on in K-Pax?
I thinks so, and Spacey is a great actor.

Brian Singer, because he direct actors AND has an eye for scenes...

Jew Hating? No Clue, but I have a few issues with the man and the corporation, mostly having to do with marketing methods and "Our friend the Atom"

Sometimes even more...

No

Lose Slater, get Quinton....

Raimi is the real deal homey EDII rocks.

SO, I am having issues with using text functions on these forums (Italics etc.), any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Bruce Campbell Groupie
I only wanna answer one question-the Evil Dead one-EVIL DEAD 2 ROCKS!!!!-WHY? CUZ BRUCE CAMPBELL IS IN IT.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Jew Hating? No Clue, but I have a few issues with the man and the corporation, mostly having to do with marketing methods and "Our friend the Atom"
Oh, btw, "our friend the atom" was pioneered by the nazi Heinz Haber, mentioned above, at Disney's request.

A system of cells interlinked
Spot on Gol, as usual.

This spot featured a cute little atom character, joyfully telling children how bright the atomic future was for the USA. Meanwhile we are melting people with this same technology half a globe away.

I read some interesting facts about Heinz and Walt in the book:

"Fast Food Nation:The Dark Side of the All American Meal"

I went into this book thinking I would be reading about food content and came out with knowledge about econimics, marketing and how the automated business paradigm (brought to full use by GM corp. and then modified for the food industry by McDonald Bros.) was also a subject that fascinated Walt Disney immensely. He and to some extreme McDonalds were the pioneers of kiddie marketing; where a company wants a child to recognize their logo before the recognize their own name.

I am not a fan of this theory, or Disney

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Sir Toose
Why can't I see the text "below"?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Why can't I see the text "below"?
Whaaa? You have'nt learnt the secrets of the magic box? You've lived here longer than i have

(in case this isn't some obscure Swedish joke - you have to highlight it to see the text)

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Golgot
Whaaa? You have'nt learnt the secrets of the magic box? You've lived here longer than i have

(in case this isn't some obscure Swedish joke - you have to highlight it to see the text)
Oh really? I didn't have a clue. Ok, thanks!