What Is The Most Disturbing Film?

Tools    

I guess it depends on what you call disturbing. Personally, none of those films you mentioned disturbed me either, a couple of them barely made any impression at all, but the most disturbing films I've ever seen are Pinoccio and The Entity. I saw both of them over 25 years ago and they both are still the most disturbing films I've ever seen. After a certain point, it's all about the person and their mentality/psychology and nothing much to do with the film.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I try to avoid movies I think will disturb me and often turn off the ones that do.

The trailer for The Dark Knight disturbed me. Makeup applied crookedly is just a really disturbing thing to me, seriously. I therefore decided not to watch it. Then my husband brought the DVD home one day and began watching it non stop. ( I don't understand that at all, watching a movie over and over and over in a week.) Finally I agreed to see it but in my heart I prefer Cesar Romero with his make up on straight, thank you very much.

The box and promos for Jesus Camp made me angry to see. I therefore didn't watch it.

I was worried Big Love would trigger negative history and put me either in a funk or rage but I was persuaded to see it. It's been good.

Blue Velvet was disturbing to me. Ugh.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
I just watched Last House on the Left the other day and I think that's for sure my pick. The whole movie I was just thinking "I can't believe I'm actually seeing this." It's violating on every possible level. The very definition of disturbing. Although nothing even compares to Last House on the Left, for some reason Hostel II kind of got to me too. Also, nobody can do disturbing like asians. Audition and The Tale of Two Sisters leap to mind.

Has Addicted Dvd Sydrom - ADS
House of wax ... i cannot watch it ... i watch like 5 mins off it and then have to turn it off because its scary ... Tamara is the movie in which distrubs me most .. i have on dvd and i dont think i can watch it again ...

Spoilers below.

No one can create a mood like David Lynch. Eraserhead is without a single seconds hesitation the most disturbing film I've laid my eyes on. The depressing aura carries on throughout the film. So strange it got to the point in which I didnt enjoy it. Another notably disturbing Lynch film would be The Elephant Man. A Sad, Horrific, Heartbreaking tale of a horribly disfigured man.

The wood chipper scene in Fargo took me quite by surprise as well. Mixing dark comedy with blood to conjure up a very memorable scene involving a mans foot in wood chipper.

Peter Lorre's whistling, wide eyed stare, and little speech at the end of "M" got under my skin. His speech at the end of the film was nothing short of brilliant. It helped make a psychotic character look almost forgivable. One of the greatest villains ever put on film.

The original unmasking scene in The Phantom of the Opera unleashed a face that haunted my childhood dreams for years. Not only the make-up, but the facial expressions that Chaney used were what made The Phantom one of the most harrowing characters in cinema history.

I also find most of Deliverance fairly disturbing. Even not including the infamous "Squeal like a pig" scene, Deliverance is tense, frightening, and poignant to watch until the very end.

...and who could forget this guy:

Nothing has ever disturbed me quite like...

Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom
(Pasolini, 1974)

The Ring, The Hills Have Eyes, and any exorcism movie!!!

(the rape scene in the hills have eyes is very disturbing.)

THE JAPANESE fILM OLD BOY....I DIDNT SEE THE ENDING TO THAT COMING AT ALL.

Blue Velvet was disturbing to me. Ugh.
I think Blue Velvet is disturbing to everyone. Off hand, I can't think of any I've ever met who's seen that film and hadn't found it disturbing, whether they liked it or not.

Oh yes, The Ring made me sleep with my lights on for a few nights. Demonic children who, when you fix what's wrong STILL keep killing and who don't fix their hair, well that just does me IN!

Is that the US The Ring? Or the Japanese original? The first time I saw The Ring (Ringu) I watched it in bed and my tv is about 2 feet away. As I turned everything off and went to sleep I thought about the end of that film.

Has Addicted Dvd Sydrom - ADS
A House Of A 1000 Corpse .. I Must Say I Forgot I Watched This Movie .. It Was Not Till SomeOne Said The Hill Has Eyes That I Thought Of This Movie ... I Say The Most Distrubing Movie Ever ... I Advise Not To Watch ...

US version. Although I saw both of The Grunge which didn't freak me out and still didn't make any sense to me after seeing the Japanese original. I suspect cultural differences are the blame for that.

Is that the US The Ring? Or the Japanese original? The first time I saw The Ring (Ringu) I watched it in bed and my tv is about 2 feet away. As I turned everything off and went to sleep I thought about the end of that film.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
THE JAPANESE fILM OLD BOY....I DIDNT SEE THE ENDING TO THAT COMING AT ALL.
Korean.

Anyway, the most disturbing movie I've seen is probably Visitor Q and only for one scene. There's one part where a guy is raping this chicks dead body, but the chick is way to skinny and her entire hip-bone-area sticks out and the guy is holding on to it like a handle. Gross. The rest if the movie is fine. Other than that, nothing else has been disturbing and I've seen the Guinea Pig series and Cannibal Holocaust and what not.

Also, I don't get how A Clockwork Orange, American History X, or Oldboy are disturbing, they are comedies for the most part.

Any of the Saw movies are gross. I can't sit through any of them!

I thought the first Saw was a decent flick and I definitely had some fun with it but the amount of tripe that it opened the door for makes me wish it was never made.

Slumdog Millionaire and Walz with Bashir.

A movie called Decent. Ergh what a horrible movie. The last 20 or so minutes is a rape scene thats worse then alllllllll rape scenes to date, period haha. Anyone scene it?