JayDee's 100 Favourite Films

→ in
Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Wow just three in common? Not a lot considering how many films we'll have listed between us. Though as I say mine would be vastly different now.
Actually, four. I forgot to count Repo Man. There's a few on your list that I haven't seen. There's also quite a few that I like a lot, just not enough to put on my list.

I have 14 films of my top 100 list in your first 100 positions here. Most of these are concentrated in the first few places. Easily, my favorite from your list would be number 67. Some films in your list I find rather mediocre but, from those of your list that I have watched, nothing here strikes me as bad, all tend to be average or better for me.

I am interested in these: Heathers,The Lost Boys,Lethal Weapon(my father loves it actually but I never get around to watch it),Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
I'd recommend all of those. Probably in that order, actually.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I'd recommend all of those. Probably in that order, actually.
You surprise me a bit. You're not much of a fan of the Lethal Weapon sequels or Ferris Bueller are you?

I have 14 films of my top 100 list in your first 100 positions here.
Wow that's quite a good deal in common.

They are all from the 80s,one of the decades from which I haven't seen much films,so I'm looking forward to seeing them.
Well I'd say you're in for a real treat then. It may not be a critically acclaimed decade but for me I'd say it's probably the most fun decade for film.

I'm not a fan of the Lethal Weapon series, but the first one is a pretty good film. Ferris Bueller I don't like as much now, but I used to really like it, therefore I can see how someone could enjoy it.

Saw Lethal Weapon today,not a bad film but it was boring at times.

A little late to the party, but with all your interest in my list I figured I should have a second look over this one.

Definitely liking what I see. There are quite a few movies here that I don't particularly care for but I love that this list doesn't look like it was copied and pasted from a critics' poll. We do have quite a few in common though, ten of the movies from this list are also on mine plus one of your "Could Have Made Its" and two of your Honorable Mentions. There are also several on your list that almost made mine.

Definitely liking what I see. There are quite a few movies here that I don't particularly care for but I love that this list doesn't look like it was copied and pasted from a critics' poll. We do have quite a few in common though, ten of the movies from this list are also on mine plus one of your "Could Have Made Its" and two of your Honorable Mentions. There are also several on your list that almost made mine.

Really? Tell me the names of the offending movies and I shall remove them for you! And thanks. That's the same reason I've been loving your list so much as well, a really personal list completely unique to you.

Anyway thanks for taking another gander at my list although it is very, very much out of date. That's why I've recently deleted my top 10 favourites as I know even that has changed considerably.

This was my favorite top 100 to go through for several reasons. You formatted it really well. You have somewhat similar movie taste as me. And your board name is JayDee which is the name I go by ha (JD).

Hashing out a top 100 of my own. Might post it soon. Still rearranging movies and researching to see if there are any I missed. Hopefully I get it up one of these days.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I love that this keeps popping up every so often.

This was my favorite top 100 to go through for several reasons. You formatted it really well. You have somewhat similar movie taste as me. And your board name is JayDee which is the name I go by ha (JD).

Hashing out a top 100 of my own. Might post it soon. Still rearranging movies and researching to see if there are any I missed. Hopefully I get it up one of these days.
Thank you very much. Nice of you to say.

Look forward to seeing your list sometime soon.

Exlectic little mix sums it up perfectly. Thanks for the effort. I was surprised at some of your choices but it all goes to show that we probably have a different interpretation of "favorite " but then again, the question could be asked: 108 out of how many seen?
My list would probably be a lot stricter because I've seen over 10,000 movies, so to narrow it down to 1% would take too much reflection and effort.

So from your list:

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter....Spring ( and Old Boy for me )
Sin City
Pan's Labyrinth
Psycho
Saving Private Ryan ( and Blackhawk Down for me )
Field Of Dreams ( and A Perfect World for me )
Pulp Fiction
Life Is Beautiful ( And A Very Long Engagement for me )
Seven Samurai ( And Musashi Miamoto Trilogy for me )
Leon (* And La Famme Nikita for me )
Goldfinger ( And From Russia With Love for me )American Beauty ( and Fargo for me )
The Shawshank Redemption ( and The Green Mile for me)
Hero ( And The Last Tycoon for me )

See what I mean

Not to mention favorites of special significance such as On The Waterfront, Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler, The Cincinatti Kid, Kingpin, Anger Management, Old School, Something About Mary and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

We've gone on holiday by mistake

70. Being John Malkovich

“That portal is mine, and it must be sealed forever for the love of God!”

One of the oddest little films I've ever seen. Certainly of films that have become fairly mainstream. It has a bizarre central concept surrounded by weird touches at every turn. It is a bewildering, mesmerizing experience. You could argue it doesn't add up too much in the end but for me that doesn't really matter too much when you've had such a fun journey getting there.

John Malkovich is an absolute sensation here, just having glorious fun with the role. And the scene where he enters his own brain is amongst the most entertaining and memorable scenes I've seen in quite a while. Cameron Diaz too deserves a mention for giving what I find to be her most interesting and intriguing performance.

The reason it isn't higher on the list is that I felt it lacked a bit of heart, especially when compared with other offbeat comedies. But it is a beautifully crafted film. A true original.

69. Sin City

“An old man dies. A little girl lives. Fair trade.”

Visually stunning, this was like nothing I had ever seen before. It is a brutal, breathtaking and visually stunning film. It really is like the graphic novels have been brought to life, each shot being an almost clone of the comic panels they are based on. The black and white effect with just the odd dash of vibrant colour works spectacularly well for the film.

Of the three stories, which interweave in a Pulp Fiction style, my personal favourite is actually that featuring Bruce Willis (That Yellow B*****d). While the story of Marv steals the show for most people it was Bruce Willis' turn that for me added a little heart and character into the film.

While it is undeniably a dark and violent tale there is also something rather beautiful about it.

68. O Brother, Where Art Thou?

“This band of miscreants, this very evening, interfered with a lynch mob in the performance of its duty.”

The usual brand of quirkiness from the Coen brothers here. So we have some madcap situations, some deliriously odd dialogue, memorable characters and some wonderful humour. Throw in some beautiful cinematography and one of most offbeat but engaging soundtracks I've ever heard.

I think this is also my favourite George Clooney performance. I'm not a huge fan of his really but his charming ways and willingness to send up his slick, dapper ways make this a very entertaining performance. All added up it gives the film a somewhat mythical and lyrical feel.

67. Princess Mononoke

"What I want is for the humans and the forest to live in peace!"

A majestically beautiful film, this really is an epic fantasy. Detailing the struggle between man and nature it is full of mythical creatures, gods, demons and spirits. The animation is gorgeous, especially when it comes to realising the beauty of nature.

Not as whimsical as many of the other Ghibli films this is certainly more of an adult film, with some rather strong violence. It is still however able to prove itself to be magical and touching stuff. For me this is Miyazaki's masterpiece.

66. Man on the Moon

“Andy, you have to look inside and ask this question: who are you trying to entertain - the audience or yourself?”

And yet another Jim Carrey film. This is a very fascinating film, well for me at least. It covers a number of subjects that I find interesting including Andy Kaufman, the sitcom Taxi and his wrestling feud with Jerry Lawler. Indeed for me it's a real, if slightly bizarre, treat to see the actual Jerry Lawler and the actual members of Taxi playing themselves; and in the case of Danny DeVito, someone else

Carrey is magnificent in this, recreating Kaufman down to an absolute tee. He is able to nail the character that most people know from stage and screen, but keeps it from being a mere impersonation by also delving deeper into this flawed, enigmatic man. A man who finds no great pleasure in fame and suffers frustration when he feels he is being typecast. It is one of my favourite performances by any actor, how he wasn't nominated for an Oscar still surprises me.

I believe this is a beautiful film which is in equal parts funny and moving
What a great set!

Man this thread really is like herpes, it just keeps coming back!

(not that I'd know from personal experience of course )