Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

TIGHTROPE
(1984, Tuggle)

"I'd like to find what's underneath the front you put on."

Tightrope follows police detective Wes Block (Clint Eastwood) as he goes after a serial killer and rapist. However, getting closer to the criminal also uncovers a darker side to him that he'd rather keep buried. Something that Beryl Thibodeaux (Geneviève Bujold), the director of a rape prevention program, calls attention to with the above quote during an awkwardly honest yet effective oyster lunch.

See, it is established early on that Block is a devoted single father of two girls, a workaholic, and a frequent client of New Orleans' prostitutes with a penchant for handcuffs and ties. The fact that the serial killer shares Block's same, uhh, interests serves to lift that front a bit and uncover his own faults, at least within himself and his psyche. It is during this first half that the film is more interesting, as we see Block's reckoning of his own actions against the killer's.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the Neo-noir HoF.

The Teacher's Lounge (2023)

The Teacher's Lounge is a German film about a young teacher acting as a detective to find out who is the thief in the middle school. It is a taut thriller which is in the words of @Marco "a distilled allegory looking at a wider issue." The school becomes a microcosm of the western world. With political factions and a the fifth estate chiming in. I would definitely recommend it.

Double Down (2005)

A Niel Brennan movie. Shown by a close friend that wanted to torture me.

💣

The Taste of Things (2023)

If The Taste of Things were a meal, it would be sumptuous-looking, at times very appetizing, of somewhat uneven texture, just a tiny bit too self-indulgent, and leave a slightly bittersweet aftertaste.
Alas, the movie has now been spurned by its frequent admirer, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. And US audiences aren't terribly excited about it, either, judging by ticket sales.
Sadly, the movie is more useful as a reminder of what French cinema can accomplish when it's at its best, instead of serving as a good example of it. It is the kind of movie that almost borders on self-parody, as when one of the characters comments that "wine is the intellectual part of a meal," or when a young girl is asked if a particular dish made her want to cry.
Perhaps this is a cinematic dish best enjoyed at home, where it can be broken down into smaller servings, if one is so inclined.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Absolute masterpiece. Neil Breen will be regarded as the Kubrick of the 21st century in 50 years.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16039820

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - (1974)

This gritty, violent, horrific film had no trouble living up to it's reputation - and actually exceeded the expectations which had hung around for years until I finally got myself in gear and watched it. Sinks into the mire and crosses paths with everything that's awful about the world and capitalism, but that doesn't mean it has any less artistry for it. I'm disappointed that it was regarded with such cynicism and such a lack of respect when it was released - I think it's absolutely brilliant, and a towering achievement film-wise. Just so unapologetic in showing us how the world works, and I guess many would prefer to see something which distracts from that when watching a movie - which is fair enough - but I salute Sam Peckinpah for plonking this gem down on the cinematic table wrapped in a bloodstained sack, and letting it sit there, stinking and ugly. Perfect in it's tone - the hope, the fall and the fury - and every line delivery, every shot, every moment is pure beauty as far as I'm concerned.

10/10

By https://cartelesmix.es/cartelesdecine/?p=234152, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=68463183

Parallel Mothers - (2021)

Well, this was pretty different in tone from Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - the other side of the coin, instead telling the story of generations amid it's own story. Review here on my watchlist thread.

7/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
They shoot horses, don't they? (1969)

A harrowing tale of a long term dance contest. It's directed very well. It is a tough watch due to the desperation of the characters and the naked view of base human instinct to survive. It's like something Steinbeck would concoct, a distilled allegory looking at a wider issue. All performances were spot on and Jane Fonda is the standout. Gig Young does an exceptional turn too.

One of my favorite movies.. And for anyone interested, it's on YouTube for free.

That's some bad hat, Harry.
The Second Best Marigold Hotel

4/5

Such a delight. Funny. Endearing. Heartfelt. One of those uplifting, feelgood movies that actually, I think, manages to surpass the original. A wonderful ensemble, each delivering top-notch performances (particularly Bill Nighy), beautifully written, and boasting some gorgeous lighting in the evening/night scenes.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16039820

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - (1974)

This gritty, violent, horrific film had no trouble living up to it's reputation - and actually exceeded the expectations which had hung around for years until I finally got myself in gear and watched it. Sinks into the mire and crosses paths with everything that's awful about the world and capitalism, but that doesn't mean it has any less artistry for it. I'm disappointed that it was regarded with such cynicism and such a lack of respect when it was released - I think it's absolutely brilliant, and a towering achievement film-wise. Just so unapologetic in showing us how the world works, and I guess many would prefer to see something which distracts from that when watching a movie - which is fair enough - but I salute Sam Peckinpah for plonking this gem down on the cinematic table wrapped in a bloodstained sack, and letting it sit there, stinking and ugly. Perfect in it's tone - the hope, the fall and the fury - and every line delivery, every shot, every moment is pure beauty as far as I'm concerned.

10/10
I should rewatch that one soon. It understands how to depict revenge better than almost every film I've seen.

Double Down (2005)

A Niel Brennan movie. Shown by a close friend that wanted to torture me.

💣
Don't tell me you weren't impressed by Aaron Brand's ability to operate four blank laptops at once.

I still encourage you to check out the follow-up/remake Fateful Findings, which manages to be even more bonkers. There's also a very funny satire of both movies out there called Fatal Future.

NIGHTCRAWLER
(2014, Gilroy)

"Why you pursue something is as important as what you pursue."

Nightcrawler follows Bloom, a sociopath turned freelance journalist in his journey to become relevant. To do this, he pursues shootings, murders, accidents late at night in a very sensationalistic way to then sell the footage to a local news station run by the unethical Nina Romina (Rene Russo).

The pursuit of that kind of shady news by Bloom, the news agency, and the audience is the basis of the film. The way that it explores the ethics of these practices is very thought-provoking, along with the "chicken-or-egg" dilemma of what came first: the media feed of violent events, or the audience's craving for it?

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the Neo-noir HoF

RESILIENCE
(2023, Choi)

"If all human beings disappeared from the earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.”

The above is a quote from researcher Jonas Salk and it serves to highlight the main theme of this beautiful short film. It is not so much an indictment on humanity (although there is some of that), but rather a testament to nature's ability to withstand and flourish despite adversities.

The short was made my Yunie Choi, a second year student at CalArts at the time, who describes it as "ravaged nature finding its strength and gradually recovering alongside the vibrant resurgence of life." Its sleek animation and swift editing is one of the things that makes it work, but its message about nature's, and why not, humanity's resilience shines through.

Grade:

LA HAINE
(1995, Kassovitz)

"How you fall doesn't matter. It's how you land!"

Set in the middle of a string of urban riots in Paris, La Haine follows three friends from a poor neighborhood. When one of their friends is injured by the police, each of the three friends face try to see where they land and how to handle it. The hot-tempered Vinz (VIncent Cassel) wants revenge, while the more sensible Hubert (Hubert Koundé) just wants to avoid problems and leave the neighborhood with his family. Saïd (Saïd Taghmaoui) falls somewhere in between.

Things get more complicated when it is revealed that Vinz has gotten ahold of a revolver that was lost during the riots; something that he plans to use on the police if their friend dies, creating more tension with his two friends. The film follows them through the rest of the day and night as they encounter different groups and situations that will push them to see if they fall, but most importantly, how they land.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the Neo-noir HoF

They shoot horses, don't they? (1969)

A harrowing tale of a long term dance contest. It's directed very well. It is a tough watch due to the desperation of the characters and the naked view of base human instinct to survive. It's like something Steinbeck would concoct, a distilled allegory looking at a wider issue. All performances were spot on and Jane Fonda is the standout. Gig Young does an exceptional turn too.
You probably know that dancing contests like this did exist.

The Calling (2014)

The Calling is whodunit with a religious spin and no spin is more interesting than a Catholic spin. Catholicism is full of arcane visuals and lore that make for a compelling addition to the grounding of a story. This is a good, workmanlike entertainment. It has excellent actors; Susan Sarandon in the lead is suported by Ellen Burstyn, Donald Sutherland and Topher Grace (the non-creepy actor from That Seventies Show). The script is decent, the editing is quite good as the pacing was perfect for this type of film. The music is unobtrusive but does its job of assisting pacing and mood. This movie didn't get a very good rating by critics. Maybe because we expected more from movies then. I was entertained and I wasn't subjected to any kind of bombardment or fake "meaning."