Movie Tab II

Tools    

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930, second time)

I have a real hard time enjoying films from this general time period (Edit:except for some comedies). I'm sure it's a fantastic movie for its time, but I find the acting to be downright horrible compared to movie acting decades later, and that just ruins it for me. A+ for achievement, and the bad acting does give me a few laughs, but I really don't care for watching this thing.

Originally Posted by firegod
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930, second time)

I have a real hard time enjoying films from this general time period. I'm sure it's a fantastic movie for its time, but I find the acting to be downright horrible compared to movie acting decades later, and that just ruins it for me. A+ for achievement, and the bad acting does give me a few laughs, but I really don't care for watching this thing.
Well, it's no Instinct (1999), I'll give you that.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Did you know the "sequel", Armour of the Gods actually came first? They switched em around for the U.S. release. Anywho, is it Armour or Condor which has the stunt where Jackie jumps on top of a hot air balloon in mid-flight? That part, at least, was fantastic.
I did not know that. That's interesting. All I remember from the second one is that beginning sequence with the James Bond type car chase. My friend and I thought it was just ridiculous and didn't even finish watching the movie.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Well, it's no Instinct (1999), I'll give you that.
Yes. The acting in Instinct is so superior we might as well be comparing the speed of a Ferrari Testerossa to that of a Ford Model-T.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by lor83b
I just saw Sidekicks (1992) for the first time on cable. It had to be one of the top 10 cheesiest films I ever saw.
Cheesy in a good way or a bad way?

The Legend of 1900
1998 - Giuseppe Tornatore

Originally Posted by firegod
Yes. The acting in Instinct is so superior we might as well be comparing the speed of a Ferrari Testerossa to that of a Ford Model-T.
So extremely flashy and loud as opposed to classic and elogent.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
So extremely flashy and loud as opposed to classic and elogent.
Eloquent? Elegant? What I saw was just plain goofy compared to the acting in Instinct. FOR ITS TIME is another story, but that movie acting was lousy compared to the movie acting of today. The silly looks on the actors' faces, the other overacting, the robotic, monotone voices; give me a mediocre sized break please.

A couple main reasons come to mind. People were basically just then learning how to act in movies with sound. It's a completely different style than silent movies and stage plays. Another good reason for the lack of quality acting back then compared to today is how much they rushed the actors. Clark Gable, for example, made 10 movies in a year. There's no way you could do that today, or in the 50s for that matter, because of how many more takes there are/were.

Giving people and films their just due is one thing (notice the A+ for achievement in my All Quiet on the Western Front message), but making them out to be something they are not, just because they were impressive, is something else entirely. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who loves Instinct, so I have no credibility; right, Holden?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Looking For Richard (1996, Al Pacino)

4/5

Enjoyable documentary following Pacino's efforts to dramatise The Bard's Richard III. All star cast - Alec Baldwin, Kevin Spacey (with shiny bald spot..hooray, he's OUT!), Wynona Ryder etc. Interviews with Gielgud, Branagh, Kevin Kline, Jakobi and Vanessa Redgrave.

The only downside is Little Shouty Al's performance as Richard - in the "Now is the winter of our discontent....HOO HAA!!" mould.

Looking at it from the point of view of an actor in search of his muse though, Looking For Richard is fascinating, though how real is it?

A system of cells interlinked
Rouge (Kieslowski, 1994)

Primer - Whoa...Best science-fiction movie I've seen in a while. I can't wait to see what Shane Carruth does in the future.

"Are you hungry? I haven't eaten since later this afternoon."

The Forgotten (2004, Joseph Ruben)

1.5/5 (1 mark for Julianne Moore's very sexy hair)

Easily the funniest movie I've seen all year, especially the 'Whoooshh' sound - exactly like an aeroplane toilet. And it's all so darned serious.

Rosemary's X-File...

Whooshhhhh!!

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Tacitus
The Forgotten (2004, Joseph Ruben)

1.5/5 (1 mark for Julianne Moore's very sexy hair)

Easily the funniest movie I've seen all year, especially the 'Whoooshh' sound - exactly like an aeroplane toilet. And it's all so darned serious.

Rosemary's X-File...

Whooshhhhh!!
I didn't like this one either. Way too preachy, way too heavy handed, terrible script.

Originally Posted by Sedai
I didn't like this one either. Way too preachy, way too heavy handed, terrible script.
Even better - on the commentary the director & scriptwriter were comparing it to Kafka!

(I get my money's worth, even from crud)

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Easily the funniest movie I've seen all year, especially the 'Whoooshh' sound
I laughed out loud at that in the theater, and everyone looked at me.

Anyway.....

Destry Rides Again An interesting twist on the western genre. Jimmy Stewart is the man 3.5/5

Alien vs. Predator This one put me to sleep 1/5

The Legend of Suram Fortress Quite possibly the most visually fascinating movie I've ever seen. Has anyone else seen it? 4/5

Blade Runner (1982, Ridley Scott)

5/5

I needed to cleanse myself after The Forgotten. It's a crying shame that this film hasn't had better treatment on DVD - quality's barely better than VHS, and Scott's 3 disc SE might never see the light of day.

The Time of Their Lives (1946)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)