A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

So Jungle isn't a horror movie, but it is chock full of disturbing imagery, much of which has been haunting me for the last week!

I'm like Gonna teach these kids math, the chimney method for division works best when--DANIEL RADCLIFFE PULLING A WORM OUT OF HIS FACE

Just gonna do this massage, get the hot towel out of the warmer and--DANIEL RADCLIFFE EATING A BIRD FETUS

Just gonna make this quesadilla for dinner and---TENCH FOOT FILTHY SOCK STICKING TO BLOODY DISEASED FOOT WHY WHY WHY

Victim of The Night
Since Poor Things is a Frankenstein movie, I am reporting here that I have finally seen my first movie of 2024.
I expect I'll have more to say and maybe even do a write-up but two things I'll say now.
1. If Emma Stone isn't handed the Best Actress statue what is the point of even having the category? Or even having the Oscars at all?
2. My heart was genuinely warmed by the fact that this movie was even made, as it is, in this time. If this can get made and be marketed and get a wide release, maybe all is not lost.

The Thing 1982 < The Fly 1986

Any takers?

The Thing 1982 < The Fly 1986

Any takers?

Seem like two top tiered horror movies to me and if one prefers one to the other, it might be a sign of what they prefer in a horror movie.
I prefer other Cronenberg's more to The Fly (namely Videodrome, Naked Lunch), and it suffers from a bit from some mainstream contrivances, but I still think it's up there.

The Thing is pretty much top of the line tense, suspense cosmic horror. It is very tight and has no fat.

In my estimation, I think The Fly would have a better fighting chance if there weren't other Cronenberg's I prefer.

The Thing is Carpenter's magnum opus while The Fly is just mediocre Cronenberg. In other words, I strongly disagree

So, when someone goes The Fly is mediocre Cronenberg, I do find myself wondering how they'd tier his movies, just to give myself a sense of where they're coming from in terms of taste/preference.

I'm kinda partial to the Thing that came out in 2011, lol.

I'd put The Thing pretty heavily over The Fly. Probably over any Cronenberg. And everything Cronenberg did up to Naked Lunch is all pretty spectacular stuff (well, not Fast Company, but I even like that), so that means The Thing is better than a lot of things.

And if we rank all of those

The Thing
Shivers
Videodrome
Scanners
The Brood
Naked Lunch
Dead Ringers
The Fly
Dead Zone
Rabid

Fast Company

Both films are excellent, so I could understand either decision. If I had to choose, I might go with The Fly since I've already seen The Thing a handful of times. I feel there's less for me to get out of The Thing at this point than Cronenberg's film.

The trick is not minding
So, when someone goes The Fly is mediocre Cronenberg, I do find myself wondering how they'd tier his movies, just to give myself a sense of where they're coming from in terms of taste/preference.
Pahak has always danced to his own beat, but some of his recommendations that he considers masterpieces are actually interesting and, sometimes, great films. In a Glass Cage and Poison for the Fairies are a couple notable examples

I forgot the opening line.

SKINAMARINK - (2022)

Skinamarink is what my world looked like when I was about as young as I can ever remember being. There was a shadow of some kind of plant or thing swaying back and forth through my window, and it looked wrong. Was my bugs bunny toy looking at me? It looked like it was looking right at me. In my nightmares, it would attack. Where is that whispering coming from? All the time - whispering that sounds so close. Who were these whispering ghosts? What if all your worst fears during childhood manifested? What if all the doors and windows vanished? What if your dad vanished too? What if the toilet vanished? What if it became too scary to go upstairs, and then too scary to come back down again? I saw the world in a fundamentally different way back then, and the strange experimental shooting strategy behind Skinamarink seems to be grasping for the lost perspective. It was more than seeing everything from a few feet off the ground - our eyes explored as kids. As a kid I knew every inch of the house and back yard - and there was not one place I hadn't explored. As an adult I'll bump into something at the same place I've been living at for 24 years, and say to myself "That's really been here the whole time?" My childhood self would shake his head in disbelief - but we're more focused as adults, and unimportant stuff to us will go unnoticed. My fear watching this film increases and increases as it worms itself through my conscious and subconscious at the same time, unlocking doors that have been long closed. Well played Kyle Edward Ball - you succeeded where so many fail. You get it. This film is really something.

Udo Kier? : No

Jump Scare Meter : 7/10
Discomfort : 7/10
Art : 10/10
Weird : 10/10
Fun : 8/10
Interesting : 8/10
Enjoyable : 8/10
Exciting : 6/10

Overall : 9/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

What if all the doors and windows vanished? What if your dad vanished too? What if the toilet vanished?
I just realized Skinamarink is actually about not having yet comprehended object permanence.

Skinamarink is what my world looked like when I was about as young as I can ever remember being.
What if all your worst fears during childhood manifested? What if all the doors and windows vanished? What if your dad vanished too? What if the toilet vanished? What if it became too scary to go upstairs, and then too scary to come back down again? I saw the world in a fundamentally different way back then, and the strange experimental shooting strategy behind Skinamarink seems to be grasping for the lost perspective.
Okay, I don't think I've talked about this before (partly because I still feel weird/guilty about it).

I've always been really bad about checking my phone messages. About 10 years ago I had one of those, "Oh man, need to check messages!" moments. Mostly it was my family being like "Hey, call me" or, you know, "Hey, this is Brian just confirming your car appointment for tomorrow blah blah blah."

Then this message comes on, and it's this little kid's voice (maybe 8 or 9?). And the message goes, "Hey, um, mom? Where did you go? I woke up and . . . you're not here. Can you call the house? Please? Please call the house and leave a message."

And one part of me was worried for this kid, but another part of me didn't want to be this weird person who called people I didn't know. I ultimately didn't call the number that left the message, but I still find the situation (and the voice message, which I apparently still have) very haunting.

Pahak has always danced to his own beat, but some of his recommendations that he considers masterpieces are actually interesting and, sometimes, great films. In a Glass Cage and Poison for the Fairies are a couple notable examples
Yes, I know. But I'd still like to see their tier for Cronenberg, just for a sense of what they think is above it (see crumbsroom).

I forgot the opening line.
Okay, I don't think I've talked about this before (partly because I still feel weird/guilty about it).

I've always been really bad about checking my phone messages. About 10 years ago I had one of those, "Oh man, need to check messages!" moments. Mostly it was my family being like "Hey, call me" or, you know, "Hey, this is Brian just confirming your car appointment for tomorrow blah blah blah."

Then this message comes on, and it's this little kid's voice (maybe 8 or 9?). And the message goes, "Hey, um, mom? Where did you go? I woke up and . . . you're not here. Can you call the house? Please? Please call the house and leave a message."

And one part of me was worried for this kid, but another part of me didn't want to be this weird person who called people I didn't know. I ultimately didn't call the number that left the message, but I still find the situation (and the voice message, which I apparently still have) very haunting.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't have called the number back either. Somehow it wouldn't feel quite right. But man, I'd be tempted to call back all these years later and ask "Okay, what happened? Were you okay??" - however that's even weirder than calling in the first instance, so we just have to live with the question of what happened to that kid's mum. (Probably hanging the washing out, and not abducted, murdered or slipped into another dimension like we're all thinking.)

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have called the number back either. Somehow it wouldn't feel quite right. But man, I'd be tempted to call back all these years later and ask "Okay, what happened? Were you okay??" - however that's even weirder than calling in the first instance, so we just have to live with the question of what happened to that kid's mum. (Probably hanging the washing out, and not abducted, murdered or slipped into another dimension like we're all thinking.)
I know. At this point, that kid is like 19 years old, LOL. He just sounds so scared on the message, but like he's trying to hold it together. The "where are you?" is heartbreaking.