The Hobbit

Tools    

Peter Jackson is currently in negotiations with Warner Bros, MGM, and New Line to step in as Guillermo del Toro’s replacement for the film. Of course, it isn’t a done deal yet. According to a Deadline source, there are a few remaining issues that need to be worked out.

“While Jackson’s camp has been tight-lipped, I’m told that the case is being made to MGM’s owners to loosen the purse strings and make the movies happen. The impetus for these talks is that Jackson will be the director of both of The Hobbit films, which will be shot back-to-back in his New Zealand backyard.”

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
This would be so sweet, fingers crossed this actually happens

Despite the changes made to TLotR, having him direct these would add the continuity needed to make these films match the others.

i think Jaqckson wasnt first approached as he had been thee and done that and i think he wasn't sure that he could put the same passion into it.
i think he can and will do a kick-ass job

After watching lord of the rings how could you expect anything but perfection for the hobbit?? I will have to say what made me that happiest about the movie was the fact that its 2 parts... I mean even if they would have made just 1 that was 3 hours long it still wouldnt be nearly enough time to fit in all the amazing detail of J.R.R. Tolkien's story....

Del Toro would have been just as perfect, if not more, but I'm pretty sure Jackson has proven pretty soundly that he and Tolkien make beautiful music together.

Yeah, that's where I come down. del Toro is the only non-Peter-Jackson director I feel totally comfortable with when it comes to helming The Hobbit, but dropping out means we might get the one person on earth who's a better fit, so rock on.

That said, I'll definitely be wondering what del Toro might have brought to the table; it's always interesting, to say the least. But apparently a lot of the prep work is done already, so maybe it'll have a bit of his style anyway, even if Jackson ends up running the show.

Del Toro is magical realism + Dr. Seuss + druqks in terms of visual flavor for me. The Hobbit was a lot lighter than LotR in subject matter and needs the same kind of whimsy to it that Jackson sort of had in the beginning of Fellowship. I'm afraid The Hobbit might be bland if Jackson takes it over in the same way the finale of RotK was charmingly bland; to be back in the Shire and all.

There are sets now.

But no director!!!! >_<

No real spoilers, unless you consider Bag End a spoiler.

Sounds good to me.

This is somewhat awesome and also a little discouraging as I'm really pretty fed up with 3-D, but, whatever. I just want to see the damn movie.

The Hobbit movies finally got some good news today when it was announced the project had received the green light from the studios and it was confirmed Peter Jackson would be in the directors chair as well as the producer and co-writer seats.

“Exploring Tolkien’s Middle-earth goes way beyond a normal film-making experience,” said Jackson. “It’s an all-immersive journey into a very special place of imagination, beauty and drama. We’re looking forward to re-entering this wondrous world with Gandalf and Bilbo—and our friends at New Line Cinema, Warner Brothers and MGM.

Warner Bros, New Line Cinema and MGM also announced shooting on The Hobbit would begin in February 2011 and would be shot in 3D.
Where the movies will be shot is still up in the air as the dispute with New Zealand Actors’ Equity shows no signs of coming to an end.

According to The Hollywood Reporter Peter Jackson as shortlisted 5 alternative locations should they decide to move The Hobbit from New Zealand where he shot his Lord of The Rings trilogy.
Source

Also:

Martin Freeman says he was offered the role of Bilbo Baggins but had to turn it down because he had already committed to the BBC’s Sherlock Holmes series in which he played Dr. Watson.

In an interview with Empire he also admitted that because shooting of The Hobbit had been delayed and still not finalized that there could be a window of oppurtunity for him to take the role.

“I did have to say no to it for the second series of Sherlock but if something could be worked out, that would be great.” he told Empire.

He also tells them he wasn’t a fan of the book although he liked the 3 movies.
“I wasn’t a fan of it as a kid but I did like the films,” he said. “I think Ian McKellen is very good, and director Peter Jackson’s a clever man. I thought what he did with them was interesting and entertaining.”
When asked if he agreed the part shouldn’t go to someone fresh out of acting he school he agreed.

“Absolutely, because Bilbo isn’t 20 at this stage of the story and I reckon I could do a young Ian Holm. I think I could give that a go.”
Same source as above.

I don't think they should do that. I mean the Silmarillion book reads like the bible. And there is just too much information to put into a movie. Anyway, the Hobbit is my favorite of all Tolkien's works. I'm reading LOTR for a fifth time cuz a kid at school tore up my Hobbit book. But I'm ecstatic about them doing a Hobbit movie. I haven't been this excited since I heard the RUMOR of Def Leppard touring with KISS.

King of Couch Potatoes
Actually the Martin Freeman thing is true. Warner Bros have confirmed it via press release
He has been cast as Bilbo, and they've cast 8 other hobbits as well.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Martin Freeman getting the part is now all over the news. I'm sure he'll be a great Bilbo. (I was rooting for David Tennant.)

Nice to see that this film is finally getting off the ground!

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I'm so glad Martin Freeman got it! He's such a babe, a perfect young Bilbo Baggins!