Obama!!!

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
So, are any of the Obama supporters upset, or does it not matter what he says or does, just so long as he won?
I've noticed that a lot of the supporters haven't said much since he got elected. I've always wondered why people were for him getting elected, other than him being the first African-American in the White House.

He has done little to impress me, and his "good-ole boy," let's sit down at the picnic table and have a beer, doesn't sound presidential at all. If we could throw beer at any negative situation, we'd be living in a world of gumdrops and sugar fairies by now.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

"To beer: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.".

Anyway, yeah, I get that it's a lot easier to get worked up for a campaign and all, but we're talking night-and-day here. Constant back and forth for, I dunno, 5-6 months solid, and then nothing.

The moderates are waking up. The approval rating is plummeting, particularly when measuring "Strongly Approve" against "Strongly Disapprove" -- which is what Rasmussen's using nowadays. I think the reality of these policies (and the reality of the ones that simply aren't taking place as promised) is setting in. But the diehard Democrats still like the idea of Obama's presidency way too much to actually change their minds about anything, apparently.

It's a shame. It's reflective of a team-based, us-vs.-them mindset, and that's never good for the country (and yes, both parties do it). We seem to be getting further and further away from looking at actual policies and decisions. If you like the candidate on some personal or abstract level, it hardly seems to matter what they actually do.

Obama, in a narrow way, is to the Democrats, what Reagan was to Republicans; a charismatic, yet some-what controversial figure. Both evoke the "feel good" region of the brain in their supporters, while detractors just scratch their head in frustration while trying to understand the appeal.

...uh the post is up there...

I "understand" the appeal actually. I can even agree with some of the Dems ideals, the problem is Obama is off the chart. I am off from work the next few days so I will weigh back in here with my thoughts on these following topics as they pertain to the current administration:

Guantánamo Bay
Iraq
Health Care Reform
Stimulus
Global Warming
Beer Summit
Transparency
Sotomayor

There are certainly more topics, but I will focus on these and also a bit of Kool-aid drinking. I do not mean that as an insult, I have drank some in my time.

Anyway, if anyone has some thoughts on these topics as they pertain to the current administration then please weigh in. I ask for healthy debate not name calling, yes I have been guilty of name calling, but hey a few post sans playground insults might be a bit fun.

Guantanamo bay, in the long-term something has to be done because it was never meant to be permanent anyway. Not sure what.

Iraq, we need to at least begin to discuss how we will leave. My biggest problem with Bush was that they didn't even want to do that, I don't know, it seems fairly important. It doesn't mean yank them out now, but I think it seems more "conservative" to plan for such a thing.

Healthcare, I don't really have a side on.

Stimulus, in my eyes it's pointless.

Global warming, deserves some attention.

Beer summit, one word "silly."

Transparency, okay, if you think that any administration would willing open itself up to scrutiny, I want what you are on.

Sotomayor, meh.

I'll echo what 7th said: I can absolutely get why people like Obama. Absolutely. He's fairly witty, self-deprecating, and it's fun to hear him speak. He avoids confrontational rhetoric for the most part and tries to make people feel as if he understands their views. I don't think he actually makes any meaningful compromise towards those views, but still, I appreciate the tone.

What I can't get is why people can hate something when Bush does it, and convince themselves it's not so bad when Obama does. Or how they could look the other way as he violates one campain promise after another.

Re: the Reagan comparison. I don't think Reagan's supporters were quite as prematurely high on him. Let's face it, even if you like Obama, the hyperbole about his campaign was positively absurd at times. Let's see if Obama can achieve half the level of economic and foreign policy success that Reagan did. The fact is that to many he was like the Democratic Reagan before he was even elected, or had achieved anything at all. That's kinda ridiculous.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Keep spinnng, Yoda. You make it sound like Obama is such a failure that is why his numbers are falling. Yea, right. Moderates are "waking up." To what? That they were wrong to elect him? Aren't you just a tad bit overstating it?

There are many reasons for numbers to go down. Of course they are going down. Obama is now in the first months of his job and finding that there isn't easy solutions to the problems. I'll go with another theory: Americans are quick to judge, fickle as hell, and want quick solutions. That is an impossible dream.

What I can't get is why people can hate something when Bush does it, and convince themselves it's not so bad when Obama does. Or how they could look the other way as he violates one campain promise after another.
Yoda, I think you are making an assumption here. Not sure the exact things you are referring to, but in the example of his backing off the Iraq pullout and the policy being similar to Bush's, you do not take into consideration that not everything Bush did is hated by Democrats. And you sure do talk like he's broken every campaign promise. Not so. Some have not been taken up as yet, some are being stalled, some have happened. It's only July, for chrissakes.

Let's see if Obama can achieve half the level of economic and foreign policy success that Reagan did.
Oh, gosh, I hope not.

And I guess, since I've gotten myself into this in the Palin thread, when I swore to myself not to, I'll bite. But before I do, I have no idea why "Obama is off the chart." Hmmm... :

Guantánamo Bay -- Well, this is one big MESS that Mr. Bush got us into, eh? And it's apparent that it is not an easy problem to fix. In my view, this is a case of a President attempting to fulfill a campaign promise, but once in office, realized there were problems that don't find an easy solution. I'm fine with him continuing to look at this. But I agree that it should be closed. I'll wait to see what the final solution turns out to be. Of course, this is one of the reasons I hated Bush so much. This was incredibly dangerous to do and against my morality. We created people that could hurt us, so where do we put them? This may be the worst thing I've ever seen a government do.

EDIT: I'd like to add that my belief is we follow the Constitution and if someone is released that goes on to hurt us, we will have to suffer the consequences. We must not give up our moral center or our principles in an effort to keep us safe. We created this mess and we will suffer because of it. We move forward, do the right thing, and hope for the best. There is nothing else we can do.

Iraq -- I gather Yoda is referring to this as a broken campaign promise. I also gather Yoda would be even more upset if Obama listened to his fringe constituents and pulled out quickly. He's not. Am I frustrated here? Yes. But once again, a MESS that Bush got us into. A dangerous mess and one that doesn't have an easy solution either. I think Obama and his advisors are on the right track: we have to tread carefully but I really believe there is no solution. We can't stay forever and when we do leave, Iraq will fall into more chaos because they refuse to work together. That's what happens when fringe religious elements and tribes won't work together. But I do like that diplomacy is honored in this Administration, unlike the last one.

Health Care Reform -- well, well. I like Obama's ideas here. Streamline the paperwork, work toward efficiency, let cheaper medicines come into the country, and realize that the "richest country in the world" is a shameful example in this area. Reform MUST happen. Too much is at stake here. Affordable healthcare must be out there for ALL Americans. I think this is a problem that will not find a quick solution. I'm fine with lots of discussion here as to how to reform our broken system. But compromise must happen on the part of the conservatives. I'm not sure that is possible and if not, that's a crying shame.

Stimulus -- Not sure how I feel about this one. More needs to be done.

Global Warming -- Must be acknowledged to exist. Reform is needed and not just knee-jerk reactions that say it is nothing more than "climate change." Science should be embraced, but I'm not against more and more analysis. I'm not even sure the state of all this with regard to Obama's current stance. It might be an issue that is taking a back seat right now. But whatever, I do know Obama's desire for more green companies and jobs (a promise he is working on right now) and a goal of energy reform is NEEDED.

Beer Summit -- silly even bringing this up.

Transparency -- I'm disappointed in this a lot. Not sure why Obama is backing off this. I wish I understood why.

Sotomayor -- She's okay. Of course, the silliness surrounding the Republican's constant badgering of comments she made made for silly theatre. At least she's not Alito or Roberts, two men that could hurt our country for years to come...

Keep spinnng, Yoda. You make it sound like Obama is such a failure that is why his numbers are falling. Yea, right. Moderates are "waking up." To what? That they were wrong to elect him? Aren't you just a tad bit overstating it?
That would be overstating it if I had said it, sure.

I think they're "waking up" to the fact that he's not a transcendent figure, and that he's not going to change "politics as usual." He's going back on inconvenient statements, contradicting himself, and offering virtually no meaningful compromise. He's another politician, surprise surprise.

I also think people are starting to realize that the policies he's suggesting (and implementing already, in a few cases) are not really new ideas; they're pretty standard Democratic fare.

There are many reasons for numbers to go down. Of course they are going down. Obama is now in the first months of his job and finding that there isn't easy solutions to the problems. I'll go with another theory: Americans are quick to judge, fickle as hell, and want quick solutions. That is an impossible dream.
I don't agree that Americans are quite as fickle as you say, and I think they understand that things like this take time. I don't think they expect it to change overnight (well, the moderates didn't. I'm sure some of the Obamaniacs did). But it's not an "impossible dream" to suggest that things should be better now than they are, and that we should have something more to show for our trillions of dollars in spending.

And it's not as if Obama didn't encourage such optimism at every turn, either. It shouldn't surprise him to learn that when you say "Yes We Can" over and over again, people might kinda get their hopes up. I realize this does not constitute a promise that everything will reverse course immediately, but he has certainly invited more expectation than most candidates.

Obama got his stimulus package, after all, and it was specifically designed to work quickly. I think we're seeing very marginal improvement, but I don't think it will last. Do you honestly feel comforable predicting that his policies will spark a genuine, sustained improvement? Do you have doubts that it will work?

Yoda, I think you are making an assumption here. Not sure the exact things you are referring to, but in the example of his backing off the Iraq pullout and the policy being similar to Bush's, you do not take into consideration that not everything Bush did is hated by Democrats. And you sure do talk like he's broken every campaign promise. Not so. Some have not been taken up as yet, some are being stalled, some have happened. It's only July, for chrissakes.
I don't think I talk like he's broken every campaign promise, I talk like he's broken quite a few, and the ones he's broken were largely ones that he emphasized repeatedly.

Sure, not everything Bush did is hated by Democrats. I'm not referring to policies of his they like, I'm referring to ones they hated. Gol's posted some interesting links about how Obama's Justice Department has already laid claim to far more sweeping power and authority than Bush's ever did (apologies if I'm mistaken on some of the details; it was a month or two ago). That certainly isn't a Bush policy that Democrats liked.

Oh, gosh, I hope not.
For the simple fact that I'm running on five hours sleep and am already in the middle of several more arguments than I should be, I'll ignore the Reagan jab. But if you ever wanna go 12 rounds on his legacy, you know I'm game. All too happy to do it. You, me, playground after school, etc.

Guantánamo Bay -- Well, this is one big MESS that Mr. Bush got us into, eh? And it's apparent that it is not an easy problem to fix. In my view, this is a case of a President attempting to fulfill a campaign promise, but once in office, realized there were problems that don't find an easy solution. I'm fine with him continuing to look at this. But I agree that it should be closed. I'll wait to see what the final solution turns out to be. Of course, this is one of the reasons I hated Bush so much. This was incredibly dangerous to do and against my morality. We created people that could hurt us, so where do we put them? This may be the worst thing I've ever seen a government do.
Yes, make sure to preface most of the comments about Obama's reverals with something about how Bush got us into it. That'll blunt their force.

Obama was very, very specific about what he was going to do with Gitmo. What does he know now that he didn't know then, I wonder, other than that he's become the President? It's not "easy" in the sense that it's not that politically popular. But I don't think there's anything stopping him from doing it, other than his own fear of political backlash. That's not a good excuse.

EDIT: I'd like to add that my belief is we follow the Constitution and if someone is released that goes on to hurt us, we will have to suffer the consequences. We must not give up our moral center or our principles in an effort to keep us safe. We created this mess and we will suffer because of it. We move forward, do the right thing, and hope for the best. There is nothing else we can do.
That's a perfectly valid position. It's also one that I don't think Obama would ever admit, assuming he believes it.

The Constitutional arguments about detention are not as clear-cut as critics suggest. Many claim, when you get right down to it, that they think it violates the "spirit" of the Constitution more than the actual language of it. And the whole thing is turned on its head a bit by the fact that we're dealing with a largely unorganized force. A lot of rules and customs about warfare are starting to look a little outdated in light of the kinds of insurgencies we find ourselves up against.

And, though this example doesn't prove anything, it's worth noting that Abraham Lincoln suspended the writ of habeus corpus during the Civil War. There's a precedent and an argument to be made for these things under certain select circumstances of threat. It's a tricky area.

Iraq -- I gather Yoda is referring to this as a broken campaign promise. I also gather Yoda would be even more upset if Obama listened to his fringe constituents and pulled out quickly.
Yes, absolutely. I'm simultaneously glad he's reversed himself, and surprised that many of his supporters are willing to overlook it. This is another area where he was very specific. 16 months, 16 months, 16 months. He hammered on it over and over again. I think he even argued with Hillary that it was specifically important to have a set time. Obviously that deadline hasn't hit yet, but he's made it pretty clear he's not using a firm timetable any more.

He's not. Am I frustrated here? Yes. But once again, a MESS that Bush got us into. A dangerous mess and one that doesn't have an easy solution either. I think Obama and his advisors are on the right track: we have to tread carefully but I really believe there is no solution. We can't stay forever and when we do leave, Iraq will fall into more chaos because they refuse to work together. That's what happens when fringe religious elements and tribes won't work together. But I do like that diplomacy is honored in this Administration, unlike the last one.
I think they're handling it reasonably well, too. Kudos for admitting you're frustrated with it, though.

By the by, one can think Obama inherited a lot of problems and still come to the conclusion that he hasn't handled them well. The real question in each instance is why he's reversed himself. I don't think I buy the idea that he learned some crucial secret once entering office that changed his mind.

Health Care Reform -- well, well. I like Obama's ideas here. Streamline the paperwork, work toward efficiency, let cheaper medicines come into the country, and realize that the "richest country in the world" is a shameful example in this area. Reform MUST happen. Too much is at stake here. Affordable healthcare must be out there for ALL Americans. I think this is a problem that will not find a quick solution. I'm fine with lots of discussion here as to how to reform our broken system. But compromise must happen on the part of the conservatives. I'm not sure that is possible and if not, that's a crying shame.
If you can show me a single example of a government program even a fraction of this size that hasn't more or less taken over our budget and grown beyond all reason and purpose, I'd be surprised. Our budget is crippled by entitlement programs, and before we reform them, we're going to add another?

Regardless, the administration hasn't been particularly honest about this program. It's been presented as actually saving us money, or at least having no significant cost. The Congressional Budget Office has been utterly contradicting them on this front, and smaller examples we have of somewhat similar systems (like Romney's in Massachusetts) show that these programs routinely cost double the amount they're expected to. And we're doing this in a deep recession?

Re: "shameful." I don't think our lack of nationalized healthcare is shameful. Why would it be? This is about what is actually better at providing better care to more people. That's the goal for everyone, right? Whether or not other countries use one method or another is irrelevant, except to be used as possible case studies. America is the only country that does a lot of things, and some of them are things we should be proud of. I don't think the argument that we should have national healthcare because France and England and Canada do is an argument at all.

Stimulus -- Not sure how I feel about this one. More needs to be done.
The problem is that spending money doesn't create greater wealth, which should be a pretty self-evident thing when you think about it. Even if it did, the stimulus became a massive gravy train almost immediately. We've seen dozens of news stories about the bizarre ways in which it's being spent. It was very poorly conceived and, somehow, even more poorly executed. Suffice to say, I'm not in favor of another.

Let's pick just one example from it, for now: unemployment benefits. Obama has increased unemployment benefits as part of an overall plan to increase hiring. But increasing unemployment benefits raises the unemployment taxes businesses have to pay, which means it costs more to hire an employee than it did before. So he's increasing the cost of hiring in the process of trying to increase hiring. You don't need to be an economist to see the problem here, and there are other examples of contradictions where business gets squeezed in the name of economic growth.

Global Warming -- Must be acknowledged to exist. Reform is needed and not just knee-jerk reactions that say it is nothing more than "climate change." Science should be embraced, but I'm not against more and more analysis. I'm not even sure the state of all this with regard to Obama's current stance. It might be an issue that is taking a back seat right now. But whatever, I do know Obama's desire for more green companies and jobs (a promise he is working on right now) and a goal of energy reform is NEEDED.
I'm for more analysis, too. Tons of it. We're talking about the shifting of trillions of dollars over decades. It's a huge deal, and not something to be undertaken lightly.

Regarding green companies/jobs. Gol and I have touched on this in another thread, but there are many problems with these ideas. The biggest being that such policies assume that Obama knows with any kind of certainty what the energy sources of the future are. He assumes they are wind and solar and the like, but this is not a fact, and giving one of them government backing will undeniably obscure how viable they really are. I'll repeat myself from an earlier conversation with Gol to illustrate: All of us are smarter than some of us. The best way to find the energy sources of the future is to encourage innovation in general, not to marry ourselves to a single administration's best guess at the moment.

Transparency -- I'm disappointed in this a lot. Not sure why Obama is backing off this. I wish I understood why.
Appreciated.

My speculation as to why is that being President is just really, really hard, and the possible costs of revealing things greatly outweighs the value of keeping the promise. I think Obama's am ambitious, calculating guy, and isn't above those sorts of judgments. I think this has been true of every modern President.

Now I'll say something you'll probably hate: I think this is one issue in which McCain might have really followed through on. I know things like "transparency" and "accountability" are almost always the first promises to go, but Mac has an awfully convincing history of really following through on that kind of stuff, even when it's caused a lot of people to hate him. I'm sure he would have gone back on other things, and call it wishful thinking if you like, but I think he might have actually followed through on this issue.

Sotomayor -- She's okay. Of course, the silliness surrounding the Republican's constant badgering of comments she made made for silly theatre.
Do you not think those comments are wrong, or do you not think they were meant seriously?

In no particular order:

Beer Summit:

Yes it is silly, and that is why it kind of makes me wonder why it even happened. Tax dollars were spent making this happen, and I bet those dollars add up to quite a bit taking in all the costs, so if it is silly why waste money on it? Obama, by his own admission said a pretty "stupid" thing when he called them out (the police) for acting stupidly w/o having any knowledge of what actually happened. OTOH, I understand the reason for jumping the gun, it just should have not been done by the president. He, of all people, should get the facts before spouting off. To say that African Americans have not suffered prejudice from the police in many locations over the years would be a lie, and that I am sure, is why the charges were dropped against this man as they should have been. Take in mind that the arrest was not made because he was breaking into is own house, it was because he was disorderly. Did he have a right to be angry? Probably, was it because he was black? From what I have seen, no. So in closing on this topic: was it silly to have them have a beer get together (it obviously was not a summit)at the capitol? Yes it was silly, one of the many "silly" things the president has done, just add it to the list. Oh yeah, nice touch having Biden show up at the last minute.

Okay, before I respond to Yoda's post which responded to mine, I was coming here to change my mind about the "Beer Summit" and I see you posted, 7thson.

The argument about "tax dollars spent" -- that is SILLY.

And as I gave this more thought, I liked it. I thought it was a great idea to sit down and discuss it. That is what should be done in situations like this. Obama inserted himself in this -- we can definitely argue he shouldn't have -- but since he did, this was a good idea. Your comment about Biden joining is rather sarcastic and petty, imo.

Makes me like Obama even more.This is a man who realizes that he has to address things and take responsibility. Having the two talk seems perfectly logical to me. We could always have Bush back who never thought he was wrong EVER and only saw "his" side of things. Thank god that's over.

It was not an argument really, it was a statement. There were tax dollars spent, and I am quite tired of wasteful spending. Yes by all sides. I have always been against wasted tax dollars no matter who is in the hot seat. This is just more of the same. These men could gave sat together w/o the president. The only reason Obama had these two men come to the capital is because he spouted off when he should not have, and this was a duck and cover move. Is he the only president to waste tax money on "silly" things? Of course not, but it is mighty funny how it goes from being "silly" to a total about face and being great. Here is a short story from my past and it really does not directly pertain to this except that I hate waste.

I was on the firing range in Saudi Arabia shooting ammo by the bucketload at targets. I thought this was for training. After awhile it was just wanton waste of tax money. I asked why we were spending an entire day shooting at burnt out, blownup, wasted carcuses of some old buildings and vehicles and I was told that if we do not use up all the ammo we have then next year we will not get as much ammo to use. This is foolish and has been a mindset in the government for decades. Bottom line: I hate waste of tax dollars, and if somethine is seen as silly and tax money is spent on it, then it is wasteful.

That would be overstating it if I had said it, sure.

I think they're "waking up" to the fact that he's not a transcendent figure, and that he's not going to change "politics as usual." He's going back on inconvenient statements, contradicting himself, and offering virtually no meaningful compromise. He's another politician, surprise surprise.

I also think people are starting to realize that the policies he's suggesting (and implementing already, in a few cases) are not really new ideas; they're pretty standard Democratic fare.
Well, you can argue you're not "overstating it," but you are alluding to it. This is a big deal to you. And the people not offering meaningful compromise is the Republicans, not Obama. He's actually acting defensively which is pissing off a lot of people. He needs to believe in what he campaigned on -- DEMOCRATIC principles -- and go for it. He's afraid of Republicans. That is why some of his numbers are falling.

I told you all this during the election. I was afraid he was a wimp. I wanted a fighter. So, those numbers falling may not indicate what you think it indicates. Democratic "fare" happens to be what many people believe in. You say it like it's a curse.

You are also rather obssessed with this idea of Obama being "transcendent," and you even use the word "Obamaniac" below. That is demeaning to us that voted for him. We knew he was a politician. We also believed he was the change we needed. That makes us "maniacs?"

I don't agree that Americans are quite as fickle as you say, and I think they understand that things like this take time. I don't think they expect it to change overnight (well, the moderates didn't. I'm sure some of the Obamaniacs did). But it's not an "impossible dream" to suggest that things should be better now than they are, and that we should have something more to show for our trillions of dollars in spending.

And it's not as if Obama didn't encourage such optimism at every turn, either. It shouldn't surprise him to learn that when you say "Yes We Can" over and over again, people might kinda get their hopes up. I realize this does not constitute a promise that everything will reverse course immediately, but he has certainly invited more expectation than most candidates.
I see nothing wrong with this. We got our hopes up. My aren't dashed. I really don't see your point here.

Obama got his stimulus package, after all, and it was specifically designed to work quickly. I think we're seeing very marginal improvement, but I don't think it will last. Do you honestly feel comforable predicting that his policies will spark a genuine, sustained improvement? Do you have doubts that it will work?
I have doubts about EVERYTHING! I'm not a legislator or a leader. I don't predict anything. I'm just giving him a chance and want people to cooperate with him instead of fighting him at every term.

I don't think I talk like he's broken every campaign promise, I talk like he's broken quite a few, and the ones he's broken were largely ones that he emphasized repeatedly.

Sure, not everything Bush did is hated by Democrats. I'm not referring to policies of his they like, I'm referring to ones they hated. Gol's posted some interesting links about how Obama's Justice Department has already laid claim to far more sweeping power and authority than Bush's ever did (apologies if I'm mistaken on some of the details; it was a month or two ago). That certainly isn't a Bush policy that Democrats liked.
You're right. That would worry me. I'll have to keep on eye on this. I want it to change back to the way it was before Bush came along.

For the simple fact that I'm running on five hours sleep and am already in the middle of several more arguments than I should be, I'll ignore the Reagan jab. But if you ever wanna go 12 rounds on his legacy, you know I'm game. All too happy to do it. You, me, playground after school, etc.
I think you going 12 rounds on Reagan would make me nuts. I'll pass.

Yes, make sure to preface most of the comments about Obama's reverals with something about how Bush got us into it. That'll blunt their force.
Sorry, but it is relevant. Criticism of Obama is unfair when he is trying to clean up Bush's mess. It most certainly is important. How often did we hear that every single problem this country is going through was "Clinton's fault?" Please don't be hypocritical.

Obama was very, very specific about what he was going to do with Gitmo. What does he know now that he didn't know then, I wonder, other than that he's become the President? It's not "easy" in the sense that it's not that politically popular. But I don't think there's anything stopping him from doing it, other than his own fear of political backlash. That's not a good excuse.
I think it is due to very real concerns about what to do with these people. You characterize it differently than I would.

The Constitutional arguments about detention are not as clear-cut as critics suggest. Many claim, when you get right down to it, that they think it violates the "spirit" of the Constitution more than the actual language of it. And the whole thing is turned on its head a bit by the fact that we're dealing with a largely unorganized force. A lot of rules and customs about warfare are starting to look a little outdated in light of the kinds of insurgencies we find ourselves up against.

And, though this example doesn't prove anything, it's worth noting that Abraham Lincoln suspended the writ of habeus corpus during the Civil War. There's a precedent and an argument to be made for these things under certain select circumstances of threat. It's a tricky area.
Agreed.

Yes, absolutely. I'm simultaneously glad he's reversed himself, and surprised that many of his supporters are willing to overlook it. This is another area where he was very specific. 16 months, 16 months, 16 months. He hammered on it over and over again. I think he even argued with Hillary that it was specifically important to have a set time. Obviously that deadline hasn't hit yet, but he's made it pretty clear he's not using a firm timetable any more.

I think they're handling it reasonably well, too. Kudos for admitting you're frustrated with it, though.

By the by, one can think Obama inherited a lot of problems and still come to the conclusion that he hasn't handled them well. The real question in each instance is why he's reversed himself. I don't think I buy the idea that he learned some crucial secret once entering office that changed his mind.
I don't get you. Why are you so interested in him "reversing himself?" What does that mean to you? If anything, it should bother me a whole lot more than you.

If you can show me a single example of a government program even a fraction of this size that hasn't more or less taken over our budget and grown beyond all reason and purpose, I'd be surprised. Our budget is crippled by entitlement programs, and before we reform them, we're going to add another?
Yea, well, let's elect Reagan again so he can CUT all of them. Oh wait, I wasn't going to talk about him....

Our budget is CRIPPLED by unnecessary wars and bridges to nowhere.

Regardless, the administration hasn't been particularly honest about this program. It's been presented as actually saving us money, or at least having no significant cost. The Congressional Budget Office has been utterly contradicting them on this front, and smaller examples we have of somewhat similar systems (like Romney's in Massachusetts) show that these programs routinely cost double the amount they're expected to. And we're doing this in a deep recession?

Re: "shameful." I don't think our lack of nationalized healthcare is shameful. Why would it be? This is about what is actually better at providing better care to more people. That's the goal for everyone, right? Whether or not other countries use one method or another is irrelevant, except to be used as possible case studies. America is the only country that does a lot of things, and some of them are things we should be proud of. I don't think the argument that we should have national healthcare because France and England and Canada do is an argument at all.
I think it is shameful that 14,000 people a month are losing their heathcare. I think it is shameful that we have a high infant mortality rate. I think it is shameful when people die because their insurance company decides they won't cover treatment for a variety of reasons. I think it is shameful when a whole group of people will not look at other countries' healthcare systems and analyze them for case studies (good idea, Yoda, why don't the Republicans support that?) and realize that we could have a public option if we TRIED to do it.

Sure, it costs money. But people are dying. Something should finally be done. We approached this many years ago and if another Republican had been elected, we wouldn't even be discussing it, I'm sure.

The problem is that spending money doesn't create greater wealth, which should be a pretty self-evident thing when you think about it. Even if it did, the stimulus became a massive gravy train almost immediately. We've seen dozens of news stories about the bizarre ways in which it's being spent. It was very poorly conceived and, somehow, even more poorly executed. Suffice to say, I'm not in favor of another.

Let's pick just one example from it, for now: unemployment benefits. Obama has increased unemployment benefits as part of an overall plan to increase hiring. But increasing unemployment benefits raises the unemployment taxes businesses have to pay, which means it costs more to hire an employee than it did before. So he's increasing the cost of hiring in the process of trying to increase hiring. You don't need to be an economist to see the problem here, and there are other examples of contradictions where business gets squeezed in the name of economic growth.
You may be right. You may not be. I honestly don't know.

I'm for more analysis, too. Tons of it. We're talking about the shifting of trillions of dollars over decades. It's a huge deal, and not something to be undertaken lightly.

Regarding green companies/jobs. Gol and I have touched on this in another thread, but there are many problems with these ideas. The biggest being that such policies assume that Obama knows with any kind of certainty what the energy sources of the future are. He assumes they are wind and solar and the like, but this is not a fact, and giving one of them government backing will undeniably obscure how viable they really are. I'll repeat myself from an earlier conversation with Gol to illustrate: All of us are smarter than some of us. The best way to find the energy sources of the future is to encourage innovation in general, not to marry ourselves to a single administration's best guess at the moment.
Where is this innovation going to come from? Why hasn't it happened in the last 8 years? He's addressing it. That's fine with me.

Now I'll say something you'll probably hate: I think this is one issue in which McCain might have really followed through on. I know things like "transparency" and "accountability" are almost always the first promises to go, but Mac has an awfully convincing history of really following through on that kind of stuff, even when it's caused a lot of people to hate him. I'm sure he would have gone back on other things, and call it wishful thinking if you like, but I think he might have actually followed through on this issue.
Maybe. But I doubt it. If Obama -- who really wanted it -- isn't able to do it, McCain surely wouldn't. I'll wait and see on this one.

Do you not think those comments are wrong, or do you not think they were meant seriously?
Ah, love the way you phrased that. Either way, I'm screwed, eh?

She addressed the comment. It was not important to spend hours and hours on it. I have no real emotional attachment to her, I'm just glad another conservative will not be on the bench.

It was not an argument really, it was a statement. There were tax dollars spent, and I am quite tired of wasteful spending. Yes by all sides. I have always been against wasted tax dollars no matter who is in the hot seat. This is just more of the same. These men could gave sat together w/o the president. The only reason Obama had these two men come to the capital is because he spouted off when he should not have, and this was a duck and cover move. Is he the only president to waste tax money on "silly" things? Of course not, but it is mighty funny how it goes from being "silly" to a total about face and being great. Here is a short story from my past and it really does not directly pertain to this except that I hate waste.

I was on the firing range in Saudi Arabia shooting ammo by the bucketload at targets. I thought this was for training. After awhile it was just wanton waste of tax money. I asked why we were spending an entire day shooting at burnt out, blownup, wasted carcuses of some old buildings and vehicles and I was told that if we do not use up all the ammo we have then next year we will not get as much ammo to use. This is foolish and has been a mindset in the government for decades. Bottom line: I hate waste of tax dollars, and if somethine is seen as silly and tax money is spent on it, then it is wasteful.
We all hate waste, 7thson. Nobody likes it. And this was the President's time and a few beers. How much waste do you think it was?

The President has dinners that I know I could never afford to give. The President goes on trips. Geez, 7thson, a few beers around a table and this elicits a discussion on waste?

And I should state that my reaction of "silly" was not about Obama sitting them down, but more about the fact that a big deal is being made of it. Just wanted to be clear.

We all hate waste, 7thson. Nobody likes it. And this was the President's time and a few beers. How much waste do you think it was?
At least you admit you did not like it.
I am serious though. You said the presidents time. That is "our" time is it not? This is not a 9 - 5 job. Either way, it was silly and a waste, how much? I do not know: plane tickets, extra security, other travel expenses,more than I make in a month I am sure. It is not the amount I am angry over, it is the idea that it ok to waste when it is not. That is really all I have to say about this as I did not want to get into a big argument about this topic other than it was wasteful, if you do not think that then that is fine I respect that.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I'm leaving the bulk of this debate for others, but just to jump in on bits touching past discussions...

Originally Posted by Yoda
I wouldn't say the 'willful disclosure' stuff entailed 'far more sweeping power and authority', but it seems to be a case of taking active steps along Bush lines where i think Obama suggested they'd step back (I'm not actually sure if he did). It can be hard to distinguish generic pre-election rhetoric from specific campaign pledges tho. (Altho hitting on the 'Yes We Can' stuff does seem a bit of a broadside Yods )

Originally Posted by Yoda

I'd reiterate the idea that the admin is encouraging innovation to a certain extent, just not in a way that will please 'free marketeers'. By attempting to put a price on carbon emissions they're forcing the energy industry to diversify away from it in any way they see fit. (Even if the post-House ACESA bill has been thoroughly compromised thus far, lacking most of the permit auction angle & with lobbyists apparently gobbling up the potential public dividend. No amount of public approval let's you dance up the aisle i guess )

The 'stimulus' angle of tech-targeting does seem flawed to me, and inhibits some of the above. But you can be sure the carbon-based industries won't take giant carbon-free steps without some form of government clout demanding it.

This is an attempt to cheer up 7thson on all that waste regarding the beer summit:

David Letterman's Top Ten Things Overheard At The White House Beer Summit

10. "Don't worry, Biden will clean up the empties"

9. "Guys stop me if I try to drunk dial Nancy Pelosi"

8. "Smoking, drinking. Suddenly our president is Artie Lange"

7. "Let's call Limbaugh and take this party to the next level"

6. "I feel dizzy and confused -- just like Bush! Hi-yoo!"

5. "I don't want to freak anybody out, but I just saw Nixon walking down the hall"

4. "Tell Geithner to put his shirt on"

3. "Senator Larry Craig asked if he could have his beer brought to the men's room" (still a reference, people)

2. "You guys wanna see where Clinton used to get freaky?"

1. "Excuse me while I take a presidential leak"

You got admit, that beer summit made for some good jokes.

Transparency:

This was one of the things I was actually looking forward to with the new president. Things are not transparent with this administration at all, if anything I am more confused than ever. Large bills being passed and sent out in image format to those voting and researching them so they would not be easily searchable for key words, and then pushed through at a neckbreaking pace. That certainly is not transparent. I thought things would be posted on the web for us to look at, that may be happening, but certainly not fast enough to make a difference. I am of two minds when it comes to transparency. On one side we should know what is in a bill or what is in a reform plan, etc... On the other side when it comes to national security and other classified information it would be impossible to be transparent w/o aiding our enemies.

Iraq:

Anyone who knows me here understands that this is a hot topic for me. I have to agree that it has become less so because of both Bush and Obama. I give credit to Bush for doing what needed to be done and to Obama for not letting the sacrifice of many be wasted. It is a hard thing: ordering people to go to war and to kill others knowing in the long run that some that were ordered to do so will never come home alive. I applaud Obama for doing what is needed in Afghanistan and also to Bush for doing what was needed in Iraq.

I wanted to elaborate my feelings about the "beer summit." I honestly don't know what the President can contribute to the matter, it's been investigated and the two parties involved seemed to have stated their case. Considering the problems going on right now I don't see the reason why this should occupy his time, it seems almost like a silly stunt of some kind.

Health Care:
There certainly is not an easy answer here, but the current proposal has so many unknowns it is quite a bit scary. The "shove it down our throat" strategy that has been working in so many other areas is finally starting to become tiresome and I hope our representatives take a long hard look at anything before it is voted on. Do we need reform? Yes. Is this the way to do it? No.