Eddie Redmayne, THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING
38 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the nominees...

Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
Bradley Cooper, American Sniper
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
Michael Keaton, Birdman
Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything

One will add "Oscar winner" to their resume, this year.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar Actor.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	19523  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm shocked to see Steve Carell so far out, at 33/1 with some places, to win here. I know people think it's Keaton or Redmayne, but does he really have that small a chance?

Keaton is phenomenal and will probably win. Like Slinger I really wanted to see Fiennes at least get a nom. I will probably be seeing Carrel and Cooper this weekend. I'll check back in.

Lord High Filmquisitor
This one seems 100% like Michael Keaton's award to lose. I would honestly be surprised if anybody else won.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Where's Ralph Fiennes? Would that have been too many British actors on the list? :P

For all that I think The Imitation Game is a mediocre film, Benedict Cumberbatch does give a really good performance. I think he's a really good actor and I'd like to see him win, but Michael Keaton in Birdman is a stand-out performance too.

And I'll also throw in that there could be a surprise win from Bradley Cooper.

For all my touting Keaton and wishing Fiennes was there I forgot about Gyllenhaal. That is a major snub in my opinion. He was brilliant.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I forgot about Gyllenhaal. That is a major snub in my opinion. He was brilliant.
The only film represented here that I've seen so far is Birdman so I can't compare Gyllenhaal's performance against the others that have been nominated but I am disappointed he's not in the mix. Like you I thought he was excellent.

Also just looking at the nominees and about 5-10 years ago you'd have gotten pretty big odds on Steve Carrell, Bradley Cooper and Michael Keaton all being on the same Oscar shortlist. Two actors who were known pretty much exclusively for comedies and one guy (Keaton) who had all but disappeared from the public consciousness.

I hope that guy I never heard of doesn't win. Redmayne or whatever. I don't know he probably did fine, just boring if he won. I'd preferred to see David Oyellowo nominated. Didn't see Selma yet, but he looks outstanding in it.

Like Carrell or Cooper to win but I'd be ok with Keaton. Cumberbatch annoys me I don't know why. I haven't seen any of these movies yet. I am usually real excited for the Oscar nominations. Just nothing this year has turn me on. Dull year to me.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Replace Cooper with a much more deserving Gyllenhaal and I'd be fine with these choices.

Eddie Redmayne did a remarkable job, but he's the only bright spot in an otherwise "okay" adaptation.

I would LOVE it if Keaton won, I've been a fan for a long time and this is a comeback role of sorts for him. It would be a nice welcoming back to Hollywood is he got an Oscar. I had him listed as my #3 on Who Deserves A Comeback list way back in 2009. This is it.

Suspect's Reviews

Replace Cooper with a much more deserving Gyllenhaal and I'd be fine with these choices.

Eddie Redmayne did a remarkable job, but he's the only bright spot in an otherwise "okay" adaptation.

I would LOVE it if Keaton won, I've been a fan for a long time and this is a comeback role of sorts for him. It would be a nice welcoming back to Hollywood is he got an Oscar. I had him listed as my #3 on Who Deserves A Comeback list way back in 2009. This is it.

I've always had Michael Keaton on my list of actors who deserved a comeback or deserved to be acknowledged by the Academy with at least one nomination. The other noteworthy actors being Kevin Bacon and John Cusack. Maybe, just maybe, Bacon and Cusack will turn in performances in the next few years that will surprise everyone, much like Keaton did with Birdman.