Adi's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Sedai
Great reviews all around, and good to see you liked The Machinist. We have memories of Murder at home right now, and can hopefully get to it tonight. I have had it there for a while, and have been dying to see it, but have been so damn busy since returning from vacation. Glad you liked The Eye, as well....
i hope you will enjoy moving castle, i saw the original japanese version with croatian subtitles, so i hope the humor is not lost in the english version ( if that's what you're gonna watch )...i'm glad my reviews have an influence..

Thanks Dassy, i haven't seen The Machinist, I have now added it to my must see list which is getting sooooooooooooooooo long

Originally Posted by adidasss
i suggest you put gegen die wand ( head through the wall) and turtles can fly to the top of your list or i shall throw a tantrum!!
Ok

A system of cells interlinked
i hope you will enjoy moving castle, i saw the original japanese version with croatian subtitles, so i hope the humor is not lost in the english version ( if that's what you're gonna watch )...i'm glad my reviews have an influence..

I will watch the english subs, with the original Japanese audio. I hate, hate, hate dubs, and I find them almost embarrassing to watch....

Also, you seem to have a fair number of reviews up, so perhaps the thread should be pegged into the review area at the top of the thread list.... Hit a mod up about it...

Originally Posted by Sedai
I will watch the english subs, with the original Japanese audio. I hate, hate, hate dubs, and I find them almost embarrassing to watch....

Also, you seem to have a fair number of reviews up, so perhaps the thread should be pegged into the review area at the top of the thread list.... Hit a mod up about it...
i don't feel i'm that importaint....

A system of cells interlinked
i don't feel i'm that importaint....
oh...you are tainted alright...

Seriously, Any review thread with a fair number of reviews qualify, as far as I am concerned....

That reminds me, I need to finish tagging all of lance's reviews....

value
The Magdalene sisters – Peter Mullan

The story is set in 1964 and revolves around 3 young girls/women that were sent to the Magdalene Asylums/Laundries so they can repent for their sins where they are abused ( both physically and psychologically ) by the nuns . Their sins? Margaret (Anne-Marie Duff) is raped by her cousin at a family wedding, Rose (Dorothy Duffy) had a child out of wedlock and Bernadette (Nora-Jane Noone) is guilty of flirting with boys. They share the fate of thousands of other Irish women that were sent off ( by their families )to the sadistic work(slave)shops the chatolic church ran in Ireland up until 1996 so they can avoid ( or get rid off ) the stigma and shame their daughters/sisters brought upon them, so they can change their sinful ways through work and prayer.

I must admit, i was expecting a much more brutal film, so i wasn't as shocked as i expected to be. Still, the film is quite shoking, the conditions the women had to go through were terible .What is even more shocking is that that their own families sent them to those horrible places willfully and the whole comunity was backing this opressive system ( making their escape almost imposible ). Essentially, they were imprisoned for many years, and the abuse was more psychological than psysical, noone was allowed to speak up or disagree with the nuns or would get brutaly punished, they were exposed to shameful ( for lack of a better word ) acts by the nuns ( such as making the girls strip and ridiculing them, not to mention insulting them on a daily basis ).

One of the potential problems i had with the film ( bare in mind that i'm catholic so this film hurts me in many ways ) was that all the nuns were portrayed as sadistic bitches with absolutely no compassion. I'm sure they weren't all like that, but ok, the director made that choice and i have come to terms with it. It seems to me like he comprised all the worst stories into one film, every official of the chatolic church is evil or sinful ( the priest is having sex with a mentaly chalenged girl for example. Don't get me wrong, i know it happened, but c'mon, not a single compassionate, kind, good person among them? ).The entire cast gives exceptional performances especially ( in my opinion ) the wonderful Nora-Jane Noone ( Bernadette ) and Geraldine MacEwan ( the mother superior ).
value

One of the main problems i had with Kim Ki-Duk's «Samaria» was that i couldn't identify with the main character - the girl, i was left to watch her story coldly as a bystander ( maybe that's because her story is so odd and abstract, few can identify with it ). With The Magdalen sisters, you are connected with these women from the moment they are introduced in the film, you feel their pain, you experience their sorrow and their joy, you are proud of their defiance and their struggle to free themselves from this oppressive system that was imposed on them, and you are rooting for them to make it .And that is a mark of a great film, and the best recommendation to see it.

p.s. haha...i guess my reviews aren't so short anymore...maybe i should change the title of this thread?

history *is* moralizing
size doesn't count.
bravo, nice job!

The Magdalene sisters – Peter Mullan

all the nuns were portrayed as sadistic bitches with absolutely no compassion. I'm sure they weren't all like that, but ok, the director made that choice and i have come to terms with it. It seems to me like he comprised all the worst stories into one film, every official of the chatolic church is evil or sinful
not a single compassionate, kind, good person among them? )
5/5
Thanks for the really interesting review, I have seen this movie around but not really interested in it, my mother was brought up by Nun's in a sanitarium. Unfortunately she didn't meet any nice and compassionate ones, I think in my Mun's day that they really believed they had to be hard on children, very sad

sorry to hear that..but you're missing a really great film....
I may watch it someday, at present I am turned off anything that feels like work, I want escape from all the human suffering i see

value
Vozvrashcheniye ( The return ) - Andrei Zvyagintsev

This is a story about 2 young boys who go on a ( supposed ) fishing trip with their father, a dark, mysterious and authoritative figure that has suddenly resurfaced after 12 years. At first the boys are really excited about their fathers return, but as the trip goes on, they discover that their father is not what they had hoped for.

I know several people did a review on this film but i feel it's not getting enough attention on this respected forum. I saw it about a year ago in the theatre but i picked it up again as soon as it came out on DVD. This gave me a chance to look at the film more closely in all it's glory and brilliance.

The narration is built in daily chapters, like the diary that the boys have sworn to write each alternatively. The photography of the film is dark and cold, cristal clear, just like the lakes of the russian tundra . The sounds, like a horn in the mist, give you this incredible chilling feeling.

The actors, especially the younger brother, are amazing, i got chills down my spine when i saw the scene in the rain, the boy is so expressive and such a talented actor that i simply couldn't imagine he's actually acting in front of a camera ( that's a little test i do to see if someone is a really good actor ).
value

The fact that this film is simply a work of art aside, the story itself and the relationship between the father and his sons impressed me the most . What was depicted is a typical relationship between a cold, authoritative patriarch, a man who commands, displays no emotions on the outside, has no softer side or keeps it barried deep within, and his children, who, given that he wasn't arround for a long time, have not learned how to act arround such figures which leads to confrontations and ultimately a tragic ending.

The climax of the film was such an atomic bomb it sealed the deal for me, it made it one of the best films i have ever seen. It moved me in ways i can't even explain. As it says on the back of the DVD, this film is an unforgetable study of the primordial yearning for a father figure. And even though many questions were left unanswered, for instance, why did the father return? Why did he take them on a trip with him? Where was he all these years? What was in the goddamn box?! Why did the mother let him take the boys just like that? All of those questions don't really matter, at least to me, because your mind is void after that last scene ends and you are left with this feeling of awe because you have witnessed a masterpiece....then the slide show of pictures the boys took from the trip starts accompanied with this beautiful russian folk song....and you almost feel like crying.......

The People's Republic of Clogher
Fantastic film.