Robin Hood

Tools    

Russell has a band? Hee hee. That is funny. What is it called, the Butt Kickers?

I think Russell is just about the most gifted physical actor I can think of. Since Steve McQueen, anyway. Russell can tear your heart out with a look. This guy can do more with his eyes than most actors can do using everything they got.

He is not only an unparallel action star – he is a tremendous dramatic actor. A true star.
Personally, I think we are lucky to have Robin Hood being made by the best visual director making films today and starring one of the all time greatest leading men.
But this is only an opinion … as is anything.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
And your opinion was eloquently stated and I couldn't agree more.

As for the band, it has since broken up and it was called "Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts" which was named for a fight scene he had with Denzel Washington back in the 90s where the sound track was "thirty odd foot of grunts." I always thought it was a cute name. They weren't a great band, but their concerts were a lot of fun and Russell does love to sing! I had a great time at his concerts (saw him a few times). He still dabbles a bit in music, though.

Virtuosity (1995) which was the second movie I saw with Crowe.

Cast for Robin Hood:

Russell Crowe ... Robin Hood
Cate Blanchett ... Maid Marian
Kevin Durand ... Little John
Mark Strong ... Sir Godfrey
Matthew Macfadyen ... Sheriff of Nottingham
William Hurt ... William Marshall
Danny Huston ... King Richard
Scott Grimes ... Will Scarlet
Oscar Isaac ... Prince John
Eileen Atkins ... Eleanor of Aquitaine
Bronson Webb ... Jimoen
Léa Seydoux ... Princess Isabella
Robert Pugh ... Baron Baldwin
Alan Doyle ... Allan A'Dayle
Jamie Clark ... Palace Guard
Joe Golby ... Archer
Jessica Raine ... Isabel of Gloucester
Lyia Terki ... Gypsy
Rest of cast
Michael Archer ... French Soldier (uncredited)
Andy Callaghan ... Archer/Barons Northern Army Soldier (uncredited)
Pip Carter ... Royal Equery (uncredited)
Ray Donn ... Villager (uncredited)
Luke Evans ... Sheriff's Henchman (uncredited)
Jimi James ... Baron's Northern Army Soldier (uncredited)
Michael Koltes ... Tax collector (uncredited)
Sarah Jane O'Neill ... Nottingham Villager (uncredited)
Robert Harrison O'Neil ... Soldier (uncredited)
Robert Roman Ratajczak ... Royal Archer (uncredited)
Richard Riddell ... Sentry (uncredited)
Geoff Searle ... Soldier (uncredited)
Lisa Shelley ... Lady in Waiting to Princess Isabella (uncredited)
Umit Ulgen ... French Assassin (uncredited)
Christian Wolf-La'Moy ... Barrons crossbowman (uncredited)

Robin Hood writers talk script changes

One interesting thing about the Robin Hood movie when it was first announced was that we would apparently see the story from the Sheriff of Nottingham’s point of view, and therefore for the first time it would be Robin Hood who is seen to be the villain. Another interesting point was that Russell Crowe would play both characters, with Ridley Scott saying it would be “a good old clever adjustment of characters. One becomes the other. It changes.”

However, script re-writes occurred and now we are getting the usual Robin Hood story, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing if the end result is great historical epic, but it would have been cool to see something unique from a story that has been retold over and over again.

The writers of the original script, Ethan Reiff and Cy Voris, spoke to CineFools about the movie, and while things have changed, they aren’t complaining.

Nottingham was about us both wanting to see a new and different version of a classic old story retold. The truth is the movie Ridley Scott made doesn’t have all that much to do with the script we sold to Universal, in the midst of a bidding war with various other Hollywood studios, about 3 years ago. Our script was told from the Sheriff of Nottingham’s POV (thereby the title), and Russell Crowe signed on to play the part of the Sheriff, who was the hero of our screenplay. There are a few things remaining in the movie which had their origin in our script, like including Eleanor of Aquitaine (mother of Richard the Lionhearted and Prince, later King, John) as a key character in a Robin Hood movie for the first time (at least that I know of), plus the movie would never have been made to being with if Russell Crowe hadn’t signed on to play the Sheriff in our original script. I guess for us, without having seen the movie, it’s a mix of triumph and frustration. Triumph because we got the ball rolling that led to a massive Medieval period piece being made with an excellent cast by arguably one of the greatest directors in movie history, but also frustration in that the world will never see the original movie we wrote. But we did get paid, so I’m not complaining. Once they bought it, Universal had the right to do whatever they wanted with our script.
Source: Filmonic

there's a frog in my snake oil
Just talked to a mate who was an extra on this, and it seems Scott is still up to his 'layering' games of making the sets insanely detailed & evocative. When they were baking in their costumes at one point they nipped off to some huts set way back in that particular shot and found the interiors completely kitted out with contemporary props etc. (To the extent that my guy picked up a pouch, added it to his costume, and was able to cart his 21st Century kit around with him easily for the rest of the time )

Anyone think of Gladiator when you saw these stills? So excited for the trailer/movie

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The last pic worries me, I don't want any 'epic' fights in this movie.

Suspect's Reviews

too bad. i think its going to be like gladiator. just more better? haha. check it out for the trailer

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61633

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Big Chico's Movie Blog
I’m not a real big Robin Hood fan, but this movie is directed by Ridley Scott and Stars Russell Crowe so it’s worth some space. I grew up in the late 80’s early 90’s and was tortured by Kevin Costner in his version of Robin Hood. He only had an English accent for only half the movie, REALLY. So excuse me if I don’t bound to any news of this movie.

Here’s the first trailer for Robin Hood!

Oscar winner Russell Crowe stars as the legendary figure known by generations as “Robin Hood,” whose exploits have endured in popular mythology and ignited the imagination of those who share his spirit of adventure and righteousness. In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power. And whether thief or hero, one man from humble beginnings will become an eternal symbol of freedom for his people.

&feature=player_embedded

Source: Filmonic

In the Beginning...
I'm getting just as tired of Ridley Scott's ye olde epics as anyone else, but Cate Blanchett is in it, so I'm seeing it.

Actually, scratch that. I'm not getting tired of them. The flick looks awesome.

Semper Fooey
It's funny how they spent a lot of money on a screenplay that took a radically different approach, from the perspective of the Sherriff of Nottingham, who Crowe was originally going to play, then junking it and going with a more conventional approach.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The rock soundtrack on the trailer reminds me of A Knight's Tale. Any bets on whether it's in the actual movie?

You notice how "coming attractions" sound like they should play before the feature, and "trailers" sound like they play after them? I always loved the double feature...