The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Another one I've seen!

#90 I Want to Live! - Susan Hayward's big Oscar moment. That's what had me watching this film, which I've seen a few times. I mean, what a title - it says it all, and activates our curiosity because the emotional melodrama connected with the condemned does really interest us. Behind it all you have a justice system which cruelly twisted a lot of what happened - which can be an argument against capital punishment. I mean, you can't overturn anything once the person is dead. I have I Want to Live on DVD, and really didn't expect it to show up on the film noir countdown, but I think it's cool that it has (yeah, yeah, mostly because it's actually something I've seen.) To me, personally, I think killing is wrong even if it's the state that's mandating it. I simply think killing is wrong full stop - unless it's in self defense.

I've never heard of Brighton Rock, but it sounds really interesting.

Seen : 2/12
Heard of but not seen : 1/12
Never heard of : 9/12

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I'm a bit ashamed to admit I haven't seen any of the films in the top 100 so far. I gotta add them all to my watch list.

0/12 in my list
0/12 seen

I've seen both films on today's reveal. I Want to Live! is a movie I saw as a kid. My parents were pretty liberal with what I watched so I saw it before I even reached my teens. As I've only seen it that one time, some details have diminished but I remember Susan Hayward being great, and that ending really struck me. It didn't unsettle me as a kid but it made me realize that a woman could be sentenced to death, something I didn't know at the time. I've never forgotten the film but never thought of it as a Noir film since I haven't sought the film out since the one viewing.

I saw Brighton Rock just last year and thought Richard Attenborough was fantastic in it. His role as Pinkie was a wonder. Not that I didn't think he could pull it off, it's just that I'd never seen him in anything other than a good guy role so I really dug him in it, even though he played a murderous thug in it.

Still 0/0 on my list.

I've seen both of today's noirs. I watched I Want To Live! back when I was doing a Susan Hayward filmography watch. I hadn't really been familiar with her work previously but when I watched The Forrest Rangers (1942) I notice she had something special about her so I watched all of films. She made a wide range of films including other noirs and westerns. Some were pretty great and some were just OK but she was always worth watching when on screen and that's how I came across I Want To Live!....what a powerful ending, wow it gives one chills.

Don't think I've heard of any since the last time I chimed in. The really question feels like at roughly what point in the countdown it'll start switching from, "haven't heard of," to "haven't seen," to, "seen, but not on my ballot."

So far, I think the only one I've seen is the one I voted for, Gaslight, which I had apparently forgotten I had voted for).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm happy that seeing my praise for the film's visuals intrigued you enough to see it for yourself, and I'm really glad you ended up liking it as well!

I probably would've felt bad if you found it a slog, but at least it would've only been an hour wasted as opposed to 2 or more haha. I really appreciated the breezy runtime when I saw it, and wished I had more short films like that on my watchlist.
Like many of us here there is a select list of fellow MoFos that when they praise a film it goes straight to our Watchlist and you are very much one of them for me. Adding the short view time it was even easier to make the time to check out and enjoy, so thank you so much!

#88 He Walked By Night (1948)

Directors: Alfred L. Werker, Anthony Mann
Production: Bryan Foy Productions
Cast: Richard Basehart, Scott Brady, Roy Roberts
27 Points, 4 Lists

'This film-noir piece, told in semi-documentary style, follows police on the hunt for a resourceful criminal who shoots and kills a cop.'

#87 The Dark Corner (1946)

Director: Henry Hathaway
Production: Twentieth Century Fox
Cast: Lucille Ball, Clifton Webb, William Bendix
28 Points, 2 Lists

'A secretary tries to help her boss who's been framed for murder.'

Brighton Rock was a contender for my list although I don't remember it. A lot of these noirs made or didn't make my ballot based upon my records...
You keep records or notes about what you watch? I probably should've started doing that years ago. I can never remember what I watched and what I thought of it if the movie was 10 years or longer ago.

Oh, man! I'll NEVER forget seeing that film. I was 14 or 15 when it came to one of our three local theaters. In those days people just went to see whatever was showing, oftentimes not knowing anything about the picture except for its title.

I innocently took a date to the film. It was fascinating enough, but it got bleaker and darker as it went on. The ending was very graphic and shocking. We more or less crawled out of the theater, the film having put us in a hang dog mood. We made up for that later in her living room..
Doc, what a date! Did you ever keep up with the young lady and know whatever happened to her?

A system of cells interlinked
Man, two more I haven't even heard of!

Some noir fan I turned out to be!

Man, two more I haven't even heard of!

Some noir fan I turned out to be!
Same. Look forward to check some of these, though.

Seen both, voted for neither. He Walked By Night was pretty good. I thought The Dark Corner was just alright.

Seen: 12/14

He Walked By Night was my 25. Watched it for this list and thought it was fantastic. Looked amazing.

The Dark Corner is another for the watchlist