Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Mad Detective (2007, 1st rewatch, original title: San Taam)

I haven't watched this in a few years, so I gave it a rewatch. I remember, it introduced me to a whole new world of crazy. Hasn't lost its effect. It's a pretty good movie filled with a ton of weird stuff.

Train to Busan (2016)

A zombie outbreak occurs in South Korea. We follow various passengers as they try to survive on a bullet train from Seoul to Busan. Easily the best zombie movie in recent years, and I could make the case for it being my favourite. Great action sequences with truly horrifying zombies.
Okay, that's it! Enough people have commented positively on this zombie movie that I will buy it first chance I get. I'm getting really jazzed, especially since this season of TV's The Walking Dead is coming to an end in a few weeks. Brainnnssss!!

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

9/10
Bizzare. Nonobvious. Magnificient.
Movies lika that remainds me, why I love cinema.
Say what you want, but Edawrd Norton is incredible actor and Michael Keaton underrated.

About Elly (2009, Asghar Farhadi)

A gripping story about how a seemingly harmless lie can snowball to tragic consequences, especially in the context of a highly restrictive, traditional society like Iran's. Farhadi doesn't need to resort to credibility-stretching events or mindblowing twists to get his point across - he just tells a real-life story with real-life tensions, fears and doubts, and does it masterfully. Tight direction, excellent acting by the entire cast, great cinematography - just shy of a masterpiece but an all-round winner, nonetheless.

About Elly (2009, Asghar Farhadi)

A gripping story about how a seemingly harmless lie can snowball to tragic consequences, especially in the context of a highly restrictive, traditional society like Iran's. Farhadi doesn't need to resort to credibility-stretching events or mindblowing twists to get his point across - he just tells a real-life story with real-life tensions, fears and doubts, and does it masterfully. Tight direction, excellent acting by the entire cast, great cinematography - just shy of a masterpiece but an all-round winner, nonetheless.
This has been on my Netflix queue for a year (or two). I'll have to give it a shot.

The Lobster

Oh, and a very direct warning to Omni - if you're reading this -

Do NOT ever, EVER EVER watch this!!!
EVER!!

Trust me.
Noted.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

(Nicholas Stoller)

The trend is and always has been, when you have a successful comedy, make a sequel with similar jokes because people will still laugh at redundant crap. The Austin Powers series is guilty of recycling the same jokes over and over, with a bit of a spin on each one, they still seem to be funny. With Rogen and Efron's comedy sequel, the spin is they swapped genders of the party goers and that's about it.

Mac and Kelly are expecting another child and need to move into a bigger house. The new buyers for their home are hesitant and the house is in escrow for 30 days. This means the new buyers can drop by at anytime and pull out for any reason. No problem, right? Wrong. The old frat house next door is now a sorority house for some young girls who dislike the sexist ways fraternities throw their parties. Can Mac and Kelly shut down yet another party house before the new buyers suspect anything?

The original opened to just under $50 million, the sequel opened to roughly $21 million. Is this because people are tired of uninspired, lazy and unneeded sequels? I sure hope so because there is no logical reason for this film to exist. Story-wise, the film is a been there done that retread of funnier jokes from before. Rogen continues to give us his stoner laugh character that he's been doing for years now and Efron continues his streak of hot guy frat boy. The dynamic of their relationship is different this time around, as Efron is viewed as "too old" from the sorority girls and he teams up with Rogen. The one interesting factor here is how Efron can't seem to move forward in life, despite all his friends having successful lives and careers. He's stuck in the past and blames others.

Rose Byrne continues to be a highlight, even when she is given less to do this time around. Efron's old frat buddies have one or two scene cameos that amount to the same joke over and over. Finally there's the couple friends, played by Ike Barinholtz and Carla Gallo, who are called back into helping them get rid of the girls. They are also expecting and showcase the single gross out scene of the whole film featuring a baby's foot. Yuck.

While I did get some laughs here and there, that's mainly due to the comedy chops of the main cast. Chloë Grace Moretz is surprisingly flat and uninteresting, as are her sisters. The film offers nothing new and continues to play to the young party crowd. I'd say I was disappointed, if I didn't already expect it to be mediocre at best. try re-watching the original before giving this one a try.

Suspect's Reviews

The one interesting factor here is how Efron can't seem to move forward in life, despite all his friends having successful lives and careers. He's stuck in the past and blames others.
Efron being out of place everywhere was the best comedic thread. Anywho, I thought the movie was well fun. I did not see the first instalment, but I have this notion in my mind that the first one was more straight forward as I imagine everybody started exactly where they were going to be by the end.

BLUE THUNDER (1983)
Director: John Badham

Solid tech actioner. Nice writing for a picture like this. Roy Scheider and Daniel Stern both very good. Saw it on the 2009 Sony blu ray release, which is the only version to get.

Legend in my own mind

Get out (2017)

Didn't know a lot about this film before I watched it.
I had seen the trailer and wasn't sure whether I wanted to watch it or not.
Had heard some positive reviews so gave it a whirl.

It was slightly predictable but there was plenty of good things about it, as well as some things that could have been better.

I will post a full review on my thread imminently, should anyone be interested.

Get out (2017)

Didn't know a lot about this film before I watched it.
I had seen the trailer and wasn't sure whether I wanted to watch it or not.
Had heard some positive reviews so gave it a whirl.

It was slightly predictable but there was plenty of good things about it, as well as some things that could have been better.

I will post a full review on my thread imminently, should anyone be interested.

I enjoyed GET OUT a lot, gave it an 8/10. I think the plot is very original and creepy.

Welcome to the human race...
Wittgenstein -

Pretty decent little arty/philosophical movie, but man was it distracting to realise that Wittgenstein is played by the mumbly old cop from Hot Fuzz.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Minnie and Moskowitz (1971) -
+
Cocaine Cowboys (2006) -

Life Animated (2016) -
+
The Ghost Writer (2010) -
Was that your first viewing of "Minnie and Moskowitz"? I remember I first saw it at the age of 22, and I was annoyed until the end - I think because it was radically different than the movies I was watching. I saw it at another time a few years later, and then a few months ago, I saw it again, and I gave it an 8 or 9, I loved it, and I find that with all the Cassavetes movies - they keep getting better and better. I think part of it might be due to the fact he never spoon-fed the audience, and I always discover new stuff.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Wittgenstein -

Pretty decent little arty/philosophical movie, but man was it distracting to realise that Wittgenstein is played by the mumbly old cop from Hot Fuzz.

It's on my list movies to watch.

Legend in my own mind
I enjoyed GET OUT a lot, gave it an 8/10. I think the plot is very original and creepy.
I agree in part. I guessed most of the plot from the trailer, bar a few details. It did have a sinister feel too it and a realism that I didn't expect.