The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Barry Lyndon was 7th on my list. It's a former top 10 pick for me, but I've explored a lot more since then. I still think it's the best Kubrick film, significantly superior his second best, and not even comparable to the trash that is A Clockwork Orange, which will unfortunately higher than it. Like others said, Barry Lyndon is a compositional high point for Kubrck, but what really got me was the film's complex narration.

Stalker was also on my list at number 4. It falls into the category of compelling Christian allegories despite the fact that I have no Christianity in me along with Ordet, The Green Ray, My Night at Maud's and others.

We are at 360 points at number 15. By comparison, number 15 on the 80's list was Do the Right Thing at 267 points; and Eyes Wide Shut with 231. The closest point totals in the 80's list was Aliens at number 11 with 371, and Fight Club on the 90's list at number 3 with 378 points.

I can't wait for the rest of the list.

Well, we've had a lot more lists for the 70's. It'd be interesting to see what the 80's and 90's lists would've looked like with the people who voted in this countdown and not the previous two.

I would have went for Taxi Driver to win this one had we had the same amount of lists as the 80s/90s. But with 99, I had to go with The Godfather or possibly Star Wars just because they're more broadly popular.

Well, we've had a lot more lists for the 70's. It'd be interesting to see what the 80's and 90's lists would've looked like with the people who voted in this countdown and not the previous two.

Yeah, we got a but load this time around. I did not check the Millennium List, but it would not surprise me if we eclipsed that point count yet. Wish I was around for that list.

Less anime.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Let the night air cool you off
Young Frankenstein is a funny movie. It's not top 20 good though.

Barry Lyndon, on the other hand, is a top ten movie. I had it at #6 on my list, but I kind of regret not having it a spot or two higher now.

My list:
3. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (#21)
6. Barry Lyndon (#16)
7. Eraserhead (#26)
9. Suspiria (#65)
10. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (#84)
13. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
15. Hausu (#76)
18. Stalker (#20)
22. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#25)
23. Dog Day Afternoon (#28)
25. Zombie (DNP)

Except for Robin Hood, I don't care for Mel Brooks movies. His brand of comedy (and most comedies, actually) just isn't my thing.

I had intended to watch Barry Lyndon, but never got to it. Given its director, I doubt I would've liked it anyway.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
3. The Long Goodbye (#19)
4. Harold and Maude (#27)
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
10. Dog Day Afternoon (#28)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
21. Network (#32)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

The only one from my list in the last 4 is The Conversation which was at #22 I think (might be 23 or 24) I love that film very atmospheric Hackman was great and it's way better then Blow up if you ask me.

the best Kubrick film, significantly superior his second best, and not even comparable to the trash that is A Clockwork Orange, which will unfortunately higher than it. Like others said, Barry Lyndon is a compositional high point for Kubrick

them's fightin' words sir !

edit: though i do like Barry Lyndon. in the
+ range, maybe an 8 on a good day. didn't vote for it however

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I had Young Frankenstein at 22. Quite simply, the Gene Wilder effect. This movie is so quotable- you are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind! This is going to be a yearly Halloween time watch. I really do need to see Blazing Saddles too, I'm sure Wilder is great!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I really do need to get around to Barry Lyndon as well. I may not enjoy all the Kubrick I have seen but I certainly see how one can like it. Barry Lyndon looks like it is a treat to look at.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Well, what can I say? YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN was my #1 pick. Anyone who knows me could have guessed that.

I think YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is the most even, well done of Mel Brooks's movies, and I credit a lot of that to Gene Wilder, who wrote the original script from his concept of the parody. I'm sure the silly bits are Mel's contributions.

They used the original FRANKENSTEIN sets for this movie, adding to the allure of its parody/homage status. And, I think the casting is perfection. And snagging Gene Hackman as the blind man was a stroke of genius, IMHO.

Naturally, I saw this one in the theater when it was new. I was 14. I was already enamored of Mr. Wilder (from BLAZING SADDLES the year before), so I wanted to see it as soon as humanly possible. My mom worked nights then, though (she would have been the most likely candidate to take me, since it was showing in a theater a few towns over from ours), so I thought I'd have to wait an interminably long time to see it. (The outrageous fortune of being too young to drive!) But somehow I talked my dad into taking me to see it. I don't remember a thing about my dad sitting next to me. I just remember sitting there in the theater (it was a weeknight and a school night and not crowded at all in this small town), feeling completely alone and in heaven, eating popcorn and melding with the movie. It was glorious.

Oh, I was the only person in the theater who laughed in the beginning (before very much funny has happened yet) when an eerie grandfather clock is striking the hour. Apparently no one else thought to count those strokes -- of course there were 13, not 12.

Shortly after that, I bought the soundtrack (on vinyl), the movie poster (which graced the main wall of my bedroom till I went to college), and the T-shirt. Somewhere the T-shirt and poster disappeared into the universe, but I still have the vinyl soundtrack. I think I wore down the grooves in "Puttin' on the Ritz."

Since that time, I've seen this movie well over 100 more times, and for a LONG, LONG time, I discovered a new joke or reference that I hadn't noticed before. I'm pretty sure by now I've exhausted all the jokes and references, but I still can watch it and feel like it's the first time, hoping something new will make me laugh afresh.

I agree with Holden that, if you're going to watch this movie for the first time, watch the two originals to which it's paying homage first. Although, even if you do it my way (watching those originals many years later), you'll get a kick out of it. You'll just be laughing at the original horror movies instead... which I admit is kinda weird.

I like both movies. Neither were on my list though.

My list:

2. Fantastic Planet
3. Halloween
5. Harold and Maude
6. Stalker
7. The Holy Mountain
8. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
10. Cries & Whispers
11. The Conversation
12. Autumn Sonata
14. Eraserhead
15. The Tenant
16. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
17. The Long Goodbye
21. F for Fake
22. The Mirror
24. Suspiria
25. The Wicker Man

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched both of these movies specifically for this countdown, but neither made my list. In fact, I thought both movies were okay, but overrated.

Barry Lyndon was too long, and a bit boring at times. It was okay as a one-time watch, but I really don't understand the love for this movie.

I'm usually a fan of Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder, so I expected to love Young Frankenstein, but for some reason, I was disappointed with it. I actually watched this movie twice for this countdown because I thought that maybe the reason that I didn't love it as much as everyone else seems to love it was because I'm not a fan of the horror genre, so I watched it a second time with hubby. He's also a Mel Brooks fan, so I thought that maybe he could figure out what I was missing. But for some reason, he agreed with me that the movie is overrated. It has some funny scenes, but it's not nearly as funny as I expected it to be from the way that I've heard people talk about it.

That's my number 1 out so I'll post my list so far

1) Barry Lyndon (16)
2)
3) Days of Heaven (29)
4)
4)
6)
7)
8) Agguire:Wrath of God (21)
9)
10) Life of Brian (41)
11)
12) Erasehead (26)
13) Badlands (58)
14) Don't Look Now (72)
15) Deer Hunter (38)
16) Blazing Saddles (33)
17) The Mirror (45)
18)
19) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (25)
20)
21) Carrie (36)
22)
23)
24)
25) Network (32)

I very like Barry Lyndon especially for is impressive cinematography but it's not near to be one of my favorite Kubrick's ...

Barry Lyndon was number 15 on my list, I could see scoring it higher.

It's a beautifully made film that strongly develops the characters and their complex interactions in an intelligent way...all without diving into Kubrick's usually eclectic, 'shock-to-create-emotion' style. When I first watched Barry Lyndon I couldn't believe I was watching a Kubrick film.

Young Frankenstein wasn't on my list, but it's great fun with much style. I'm glad to see it on the Top 100