Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Thanks for the post Swan. I didn't feel the need to criticize the characters - they felt like people you'd be able to find in the real world - which is always good. Atmosphere was okay but I wasn't a big fan of it as it felt a bit forced. One thing I really agree with you is the film being surprisingly low-budget yer having a theme that usually only Hollywood producitons have. Totally understand why you look up to Shane Carruth, I admit that he does a very good job of overcoming budget restraints.

Capturing the Friedmans (2003)

+

I love true crime documentaries, although I prefer murder stories over these kind of diddling doofuses. It's pretty creepy thanks to all of the relevant interviews and the family's archive videos.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Capturing the Friedmans (2003)

+

I love true crime documentaries, although I prefer murder stories over these kind of diddling doofuses. It's pretty creepy thanks to all of the relevant interviews and the family's archive videos.
Sick family!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
McCabe And Mrs. Miller - N/A

I've graded this several times before, but when I watch a movie at night, I'm "buzzed" and it's hard to really grade it, as opinions slightly seem to vary. It didn't seem like a Top 15 movie to me, but then again, I was a bit "buzzed"

It's ON-DEMAND until 3/3/16.. Starts kinda slow, but it's very all-encompassing - motivations, insecurity, human nature, and how silly or reasonable circumstances can force the hand (gambling seems to be a favorite theme of Altman, a gambler himself)..

It's a pro-free-enterprise movie, with caution. A man can "make it" but there are a lot of consequences that have nothing to do with government, authority, competitors. William Devane is the lawyer who wants to prop McCabe to be the king of the "little man" - remember, this was before Roosevelt (Teddy) busted up the monopolies/mergers. But even with the law (courts) on McCabe's side, what good was it if the nearest sheriff is over 80 miles away. I love the vulnerability shown between him and Mrs. Miller. He wants to stay alive for her, but he wants to be respected, so he can't just back down.

This is a film you have to pay a lot of attention to. Lots of overlapping dialogue, but a lot of little things in the background. I only saw this because I didn't have it in me to watch a movie I never saw, and I was sick of watching the news, so at night I put something I've seen before so I don't have to pay that much attention to it.

I know in the past I've graded it an 8, 9, and a 10.

Arthur and the Invisibles (2006)

An enjoyable and cute kids movie. It's no Pixar/Disney movie, but still worth a watch. Though I was a bit suprised with a scene set in a bar/club, that seemed a bit more mature than the rest of the movie. With that said I'm still going to watch the second movie, which I also own on dvd.

Care for some gopher?
In a Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray, 1950) -
+

Very solid film noir, beautifully shot.

Brooklyn (2015)

Somehow this feels a little like an underdog Oscar feature. It has a nice calm and tender feel to it and it's small and subtle in scale with faintly clever writing that charms just enough to love it without ever getting sick of it, unlike some of those other Oscar nominations. Ronan is mesmerizing and she shows a lot of emotion and conflict through very little, I love that.

Oh, and the good thing about these underdog Oscar nominations... even though they definitely deserve the nominations, at least it rarely feels like they are humping your leg for them.

Care for some gopher?
... one of Bogie's best.
I've only seen three other movies with him: Casablanca, The Enforcer and Sabrina. This one is definetely my favourite of those four.

Reply to Swan's now deleted post (pussy):

Well I already said subtle I needed another word. But really, I just felt that it had a straightforward and easy style to it, yet the writing hinted at something more several places throughout. Of course the actors and actresses also helped bring this forward.

If I liked my writing dumb, obvious and impersonal I'd go read a script for a stupid revenge western or something.

I've only seen three other movies with him: Casablanca, The Enforcer and Sabrina. This one is definetely my favourite of those four.
I seen all those, but hardly remember The Enforcer. If you're in the market of another Bogie film, I'd suggest Treasure of the Sierra Madre. It's one of my favs.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Shadows

It's a fairly admirable debut, but lacks that Cassavetes magic.

Suddenly, Last Summer (1959)

-

I came upon this movie and decided to watch it based on the strength of it's cast, story, and IMDb rating of 7.7.

Katharine Hepburn plays a wealthy widow who lost her son while he was vacationing in Europe with her niece (Elizabeth Taylor). The niece is in a mental institution, and Hepburn wants her lobotomized in order to prevent her from telling what actually happened. Montgomery Clift plays the doctor looking into the situation to see if he should go along with the procedure. Taylor is gorgeous in this movie which has a seedy and sinister side that I appreciate. It's a good flick, but I didn't think it went past that.

Room (2015)

Wow, I wasn't ready for this at all. I didn't read anything about this, which made me question a lot of things during the beginning minutes. What was this? A low budget mommy drama? A postapocalyptic tale? All I got from the poster and stuff told me about something sweet and nice, I wasn't ready for what really awaited me...

When you watch a truly great movie, I mean those that go beyond and further, you realize how much you have to go through, as a viewer, because of it. I mean, when the movie is "one of those" you forget how hard you actually have to suffer for cinema. You leave with a great great film, but first you suffer through an emotional hell. There were periods in this that was just too real. Too much.

This is one of those movies that made me rediscover cinema, in a way; that made me open my eyes to a whole different world and see things differently, feel differently. I had seen some of it before, but I've never quite felt it. Not like this. I just sat here in my room, watched the television screen, while everything just felt bigger and wider to me. I don't know what to say, really. To those behind this film, I thank you for giving me something new and oddly refreshing. I hated it, I loved it, I needed it. Thank you.

+

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Brooklyn (2015)

Somehow this feels a little like an underdog Oscar feature. It has a nice calm and tender feel to it and it's small and subtle in scale with faintly clever writing that charms just enough to love it without ever getting sick of it, unlike some of those other Oscar nominations. Ronan is mesmerizing and she shows a lot of emotion and conflict through very little, I love that.

Oh, and the good thing about these underdog Oscar nominations... even though they definitely deserve the nominations, at least it rarely feels like they are humping your leg for them.

Glad you enjoyed Brooklyn MM. I did as well. In fact I also just wrote about it. Prepare yourself, it's shameless plug time.

JayDee on Brooklyn

As for Room I wasn't completely sold on it. I was a big fan of the first hour but then I wasn't sure about the second half. Will need to give it a second watch to try and cement an opinion. Brie Larson was incredible though.