3D Re-Releases

Tools    

So basically every Disney movie or classic hit is being re-released to theaters in 3D. ...i don't think i've ever even watched a movie in 3D.

Examples: Titanic, Finding Nemo, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Monsters, Inc., The Little Mermaid

3D is IN. Would you rather watch in 2D or 3D?

2D, all the way.

3D is a marketing ploy that suckers in the new generation of moviegoers. After a few years it disappears due to everyone realising it's a load of tosh. Then 20 years later it comes back to sucker a fresh generation into spending their money as they weren't around the last time 3D came out and don't know any different.
This has gone on since the invention of moving pictures back the the late 1800s.

3D doesn't work. Never has, never will.

Even if it did, it wouldn't work with me, I'm half blind in one eye so even those fake 3D comicbook images don't work with me.

Nor do those funny speckly picture things that are supposed to hide a 3D image.

1915 The Great Train Robbery director, film- narrative pioneer and cine-huckster Edwin S Porter, presents red-green anaglyph test shorts in New York, but his process is never developed further.
1920 The Power of Love (a movie now lost), using a system developed by cinematographer Robert F Elder, is the first 3D movie screened for a commercial audience, in Los Angeles.
1922 Using two projectors synchronised with stereo headsets, Laurens Hammond and William Cassidy present a series of shorts plus one feature, The Man From MARS, but it played only at the sole cinema equipped to project it.
1923 Frederick Eugene Ives, patenter of the Parallax Stereogram (1900), and inventor Joseph Levanthal present several 3D/stereoscopic shorts for Pathe Films.

3D then does a vanishing act.

---30 Years Later---

1952-55 The first boom period in 3D cinema, led by Bwana Devil, Andre de Toth's House of Wax (the first of four 3D movies to star the determinedly one-dimensional Vincent Price, the Olivier of the form), and Dial M for Murder (filmed 3D, released "flat"). As TV menaces the studios (lately forced by the US Supreme Court to sell their cinemas), they push all kinds of new formats such as Cinerama, CinemaScope, Technicolor and VistaVision.

---20 Years Later---

1973 Andy Warhol and Paul Morrissey revive the now seemingly obsolete format for Flesh For Frankenstein, in the short-lived Stereovision format. The skewering of one character, whose extruded heart dangles horribly close to the 3D viewer's eye, is a particular highlight of the film.
1979-85 Thanks to the technological run-off from suddenly superfluous military/industrial/space research, all manner of sequels, remakes, rip-offs and low-brow entertainment staples benefit from the technological improvement of the 3D format (Friday the 13th Part III in 3D, Jaws 3D, Amityville 3D), but the technique remains disreputable.

---20 Years Later---

2003 James Cameron's Ghosts of the Abyss, a 3D documentary tour of the Titanic wreckage, lays the foundation for the technology he will need to make Avatar.

2004 Insane Clown Posse's short film for DVD album track Bowling Balls is the first high-definition 3D short. Imax's first feature, The Polar Express, presages the latest 3D wave: since then we've seen Journey to the Center of the Earth, My Bloody Valentine 3D, Coraline, and, in December, Avatar.
Since then, just like in the 50s and 70s/80s, we've been slammed with everything being 3D.

Mark my words. It'll vanish again soon, maybe within the next 5 years and reappear at some point in the 2030s, maybe the 2040s.

So basically every Disney movie or classic hit is being re-released to theaters in 3D. ...i don't think i've ever even watched a movie in 3D.

Examples: Titanic, Finding Nemo, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Monsters, Inc., The Little Mermaid

I have, with the kids. I don't remember what movie? I think it was a Steinberg Film? God knows?????

I have, with the kids. I don't remember what movie? I think it was a Steilberg Film? God knows?????

Speaking of 3D Titanic:

A bunch of uneducated people recently took to Twitter unaware that James Cameron’s classic film Titanic was based on a real event.

“It’s shocking to me that someone could actually tweet — because it requires some neuro-motor capability — and not know that the Titanic was a real event.”

Titanic in 3D is actually quite good. Very effective at indicating the height and depth of the ship.

Can't stand 3-D.

Not worth the price. Plus I wear eyeglasses so having to put the 3-D glasses over them is awkward and annoying (especially since the added weight pulls my glasses down my nose and I have to keep readjusting).

2-D all the way.

I hate when they do this, there is seriously no point lol For me it has to be 2-D

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
2D.

I don't like the 3D look or feel. It seems wrong. As a life-long movie goer with hundreds of trips to the theater, I can tell you that 3D is not nearly as impressive as 2D. For me the perspective gets all warped, so I feel like I'm missing out on the full effect of the landscape/scenery - which is so key to making a theater experience really powerful. You lose that with the 3D.

Plus, it gives me a headache.