What if Apocalypse Now never screwed Coppola's brain up...

Tools    

I've seen it many, many, many years ago and found it okayish. I could rewatch it, but rewatching Apocalypse Now and The Conversation is more important atm.

Like I sad, it's not actually good. It's frequently god awful. But, for anyone who wants to geek out on the films construction, and its technical marvels, it's at least dares to be something as it fails.

Obviously rewatching Conversation (his best) or Apocalypse Now are higher priorities.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Actually, that's The Black Stallion.
Directed by Carroll Ballard. Or do you mean to say the Executive Producer Coppola ghost-directed it?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Directed by Carroll Ballard. Or do you mean to say the Executive Producer Coppola ghost-directed it?

No, it's definitely Ballard, my wires just got crossed.

For some reason I always think Coppola directed this one.

After three Coppolas in a row, I'm done with him for the moment. I don't feel like watching more from him.

After three Chabrols in a row, I can't wait to watch more!

After three Coppolas in a row, I'm done with him for the moment. I don't feel like watching more from him.

After three Chabrols in a row, I can't wait to watch more!

I've seen 15 to 20 Chabrols and they are all good. Particularly his 60s and early 70s work.

I've seen 15 to 20 Chabrols and they are all good. Particularly his 60s and early 70s work.
Impressive. I've seen only 7 now. I have some catching up to do!

The trick is not minding
I haven’t seen FFC’s films pre 1970’s work, and nothing after the 90’s.
Apocalypse Now and The Conversation are his top two films.
The 70’s was FFC at his peak. His 80’s and particularly his 90’s output was a very mixed bad and full of meh.
Peggy Sue Got Married. Tucker: A Man and His Dream. The Outsiders. Dracula. The Rainmaker. The Godfather 3. Each a failure in their own way, never topping his 70’s output.

Still need to see the rest, regardless.

Peggy Sue Got Married. Tucker: A Man and His Dream. The Outsiders. Dracula. The Rainmaker. The Godfather 3. Each a failure in their own way, never topping his 70’s output.

Even if these movies are failures, just looking at what a varied bunch of failures they are says a lot about how interesting a filmmaker Coppola is.

And I don't think any of those movies are failures...

Well, maybe Godfather 3.

Probably that.

The trick is not minding
Even if these movies are failures, just looking at what a varied bunch of failures they are says a lot about how interesting a filmmaker Coppola is.

And I don't think any of those movies are failures...

Well, maybe Godfather 3.

Probably that.
Failures might seem like a harsh criticism, but in comparison to the films that came before them, they feel like it. They lack his style and craft that was evident when he was at the height of his powers. Dracula looks great at times, but seems lifeless at others.*

In Tucker and Peggy Sue got married, he manages to capture the time period both are set in, yet he seems incapable of pulling us into these lives if the eponymous characters for their respective films.

I haven’t seen The Outsiders and The Rainmaker in over 20 years, so my memory of them have been dulled somewhat. Both are due for a rewatch.

I’ve heard The Cotton Club is supposed to be pretty good. And his 60’s films are among his best I’ve read. Tetro and Twixt (?) are supposed to be interesting in their own right.

I…..need to finally watch Dementia 13 since it’s his first film, and I’m embarrassed by the fact I haven’t seen it yet. It’ll be interesting to see how much his style changed over the course of his career.

Minio is the only one who indirectly referenced this in his review of One From the Heart - it bankrupted his studio. People mention the risk averse studios of the 80s, but your studio going bankrupt tends to also put a crimp in your artistic freedom. (It nearly happened with Apocalypse Now, IIRC, but that turned out to be a big hit).

I think from the 80s output, I've only seen Rumblefish, which I liked. I'm in the Apocalypse Now & The Conversation are his best movies. I think I'm still sticking with AN over The Conversation.

I think that if he is demented it would have been from all of the attention and mind games brought to him from fans of the Godfather series.