The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Loved Written on the Wind, and I probably wouldn't have even watched it if I hadn't seen that Daniel was a big fan.

My list-

#8 Written on the Wind (#82)
#24 The Cranes are Flying (#98)

I got a big kick out of Johnny Guitar-good flick!

Finally, another film I've seen and voted for.

I watched Written on The Wind on Cricket's recommendation and, while I didn't love it, I thought it was a pretty solid film. I had it at #20 on my ballot.

Haven't seen Johnny Guitar.

My Ballot
13. Duck Amuck (#89)
20. Written on the Wind (#82)

johnny guitar is my second favorite ray film and second from my list to appear. i had it at #8. it's great.

haven't seen written on the wind but another sirk film came very close to making my list.
criticker

Let the night air cool you off
Written on the Wind looks good. I need to see it, especially after that gif.

I voted for Johnny Guitar, it was my #12.

My list so far:

4. The Human Condition I
9. Bigger Than Life
12. Johnny Guitar

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Johnny Guitar is a great revisionist western with badass Joan Crawford!
Written on the Wind is incredible visually (dat Technicolor!), but it's usual Sirk harlequinesque melodrama.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

johnny guitar is my second favorite ray film and second from my list to appear. i had it at #8. it's great.

haven't seen written on the wind but another sirk film came very close to making my list.
Love your signature . Just noticed that.

I'm a fan of Douglas Sirk and I'm pretty sure I had one of his other glossy melodramas on my list. Written on the Wind is pretty good, I loved the sets. I even reviewed it. My review link.

I've been meaning to see Johnny Guitar for ages, one of these days I'll catch it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think the Trucolor photograpny and shadows are more spectacular and the psychosexual underpinnings of the story are more-striking in Johnny Guitar than in Written on the Wind. Victor Young's score for Johnny Guitar is also very affecting.

Written on the Wind is very colorful, but it's packed with enough melodrama to plot a month's worth of a daytime soap opera.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I had several Douglas Sirk movies on my original list, but most of them were eventually cut from my list as it was narrowed down to only 25 movies. Unfortunately Written on the Wind was one of the cuts, but it's a great movie, and I'm glad to see it made the countdown.

I'm not much of a fan of westerns, so I haven't seen Johnny Guitar, but since it made the countdown, I'll add it to my watchlist.

Im kinda done guessing what movies what will be next. Kinda a less then exciting result in waiting all day too see what would come.

Interesting pair of movies. They work being posted together.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Care for some gopher?
Here we go again: Haven't seen both.

haha. Thank god.
I realized some may see my movies as Junk but what can i say when it comes too classic movies. I was a western, animation and Liked those old AMC Movies that were adventure heavy or epics. I did not watch allot of what we Romance or Drama movies of this time. And as a Kid why would i. I wanted too see Cowboys or Godzilla.

As expected with this list, I have seen so little of what pops up... I really do love a lot of what I've seen from this decade and in a way it's one of my favorite decades despite having watched so little from it.

But hey, at least this list will be a great guideline for me to get completely familiar with the decade and all the great movies in it.

Until then... another two movies I haven't seen.