The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

No, I'm on a mobile but it usually just hides the entries behind a click to reveal block but I don't even see that. War is hell.
I'm sure Yoda will iron this out but until then here they are:

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Where’s the actual reveal?
It's at the end of page 14... at the bottom. It's presented as a graphic, rather than a post, so that might be why it was missed. I think those graphics look great btw!

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Also, I've not seen The Burmese Harp or Ashes and Diamonds, however it looks like both are on the Criterion Channel, so I'm sure I'll remedy that soon.

In case anyone's confused about why it would show up on one mobile device and not another, the distinction is the mobile or desktop styles, not the devices themselves. Usually they correlate, but not always, and more to the point people on mobile devices sometimes specifically choose to override the mobile detection to use the site on the desktop style. They also sometimes do this and then forget!

Also, I've not seen The Burmese Harp or Ashes and Diamonds, however it looks like both are on the Criterion Channel, so I'm sure I'll remedy that soon.
Ashes and Diamonds is very strong. There's one (admittedly very striking image) that's used all the time in reference to it, but I thought the whole thing was pretty compelling, visually and plot-wise.

i watched the burmese harp for the group watch thread and loved it enough to put it at #10 on my list. such a lovely film.

the long voyage home was my one-pointer. very stirring and underrated john ford picture.
criticker

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. Ashes and Diamonds was my #21. Definitely fascinating to see a film that's set in the final hours and immediate aftermath of WWII where official declarations only matter so much when there is so much unfinished business and people are still too human to forgive or forget. Having it be shot through with such starkness even in scenes where civilians and soldiers alike are celebrating, especially with a protagonist refusing to shed his sunglasses as if afraid of seeing the world in a new light. Haven't seen The Burmese Harp, but it's been on my watchlist for a while.

I forgot the opening line.
Wow! Okay. Two films I've never, ever heard of. I wasn't expecting that - but at the same time that's how countdowns usually start for me. I think to myself that I pretty much know about every single film in such-and-such a classification and then a countdown keeps hitting me to the point of having to come to grips with my utter ignorance and lack of knowledge.

The Burmese Harp looks great and I can't wait to see it.

Ashes and Diamonds looks even better, and as such I'm absolutely giddy at the prospect of seeing it.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I had The Burmese Harp on my list. Watched it recently and thought it was pretty incredible.

Ashes and Diamonds is a really great film too, with some striking images, it didn't quite make my list though.

Pretty great start to the countdown in my opinion.

#99: Ashes and Diamonds was an EASY one: Ash is the main character of Pokemon, and I chose a Diamond and Pear era season to post a picture of. I chose DP Generation (season 11) instead of Diamond and Pearl (season 10) to keep it less obvious.

REPORT: Nobody got either one.
That made me laugh. What the hell is Pokemon?

I'm 0 for 2 to start the countdown. War is one of my least seen genres and one of my least favourites, so my numbers are likely going to be pretty low.
I'll race you.

Seen neither and unaware of The Burmese Harp.

I haven't seen The Burmese Harp. Ashes and Diamonds was my #12.

A system of cells interlinked
0/2 to start

I have never heard of either film!

The Burmese Harp was my #22. I can't remember if I watched it because of Holden putting it forward in the prelim thread or because of paying attention to the group watch thread.

My ballot lacks any coherency in terms of selection and order. I think this is due to despite liking many movies that are classified as war movies, I don't know if it's a genre I really seek out specifically for being war movies. So I don't think I knew how to weigh them as being "war movies."

I considered Ashes and Diamonds and Kanal (same director, Andrzej Wadja, brought up in the group watch thread), but ultimately included neither.

I thought Ashes and Diamonds was kind of well known, so mildly surprised by the number of people who haven't heard of it.
But, eh.

@honeykid 1 pointer

Went the Day Well? (1942)

Went The Day Well? is a curious film made right smack dab in the middle of WWII while the British isle was under a very real threat of invasion from the Nazis. What was curious was I don't think the titular line "Went the day well?" was ever spoken in the film. Or maybe I missed it?

I liked this film and I had it on my war prep watch list since the countdown was announced so I'm glad to have seen it. I was surprised by the amount of violence shown with scenes like the nice old British lady giving a hatchet job to a 'Jerry' in a British uniform. In another scene we see two nice younger women competing with each other as they try to shoot German troops who have invaded their small country town, taking the residents hostage. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because American war films being made at the same time had the same frankness about brutality. I think the German soldiers were portrayed accurately and for a wartime 'propaganda film' their actions were not over done for war support efforts. We know that the Nazis for real would take hostages and execute them as a means to keep civilians under control. I guess with an enemy that cruel you don't have to embellish their actions.

Their was some interesting lines of dialogue disparaging the French and their lack of war efforts, from a historical viewpoint I thought that was very interesting as I don't think I've ever heard that before in a war movie.

Another very worthy one pointer that I'm glad I watched.
+