A Dying Piece Of Music (Allegedly) For February

Tools    

Oh my genitals - I've been wanting to nom this for like years. Very, very nearly popped it in a couple of rounds back, certainly won't be last on my ballot

Yay! (except I chose a junky sounding live version....because its creepier and weirder that way)

Yay! (except I chose a junky sounding live version....because its creepier and weirder that way)
I was gonna nom the exact same clip (see the screenshot I added to my prev post)

I was gonna nom the exact same clip (see the screenshot I added to my prev post)

I've been compelled to keep a list of all possible future noms, because my brain is full of them, but I know as soon as I put something on a list I'll never choose it because I like to just pull whatever feels right off the top of my head (ie. usually something I've just listened to in the last half hour)

I've been compelled to keep a list of all possible future noms, because my brain is full of them, but I know as soon as I put something on a list I'll never choose it because I like to just pull whatever feels right off the top of my head (ie. usually something I've just listened to in the last half hour)
Yeah I probably end up about 50/50 as to using something on the list or just nomming something else entirely. I just try to vary my noms a little and sometimes the list helps with that.

All Them Witches - Diamond
Dreamwell - Sayaka
Sloppy Seconds - I Don't Wanna Be a Homosexual
Futureshock - Late at Night
Freddie King - Dust My Broom
Voyager - White Shadow
Bob Dylan - Mama, You Been On My Mind
Joan Armatrading - I'm Lucky
Sandy Posey - Born a Woman
George Strait - When Did You Stop Loving Me
Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes

Round 11:

1. Voyager - White Shadow
2. Dreamwell - Sayaka
3. Futureshock - Late at Night
4. Joan Armatrading - I'm Lucky
5. Sandy Posey - Born a Woman
6. Freddie King - Dust My Broom
7. Bob Dylan - Mama, You Been On My Mind
8. Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes
9. Sloppy Seconds - I Don't Wanna Be a Homosexual
10. All Them Witches - Diamond
11. George Strait - When Did You Stop Loving Me

01. Dreamwell - Sayaka
02. Joan Armatrading - I'm Lucky
03. Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes
04. George Strait - When Did You Stop Loving Me
05. Sandy Posey - Born a Woman
06. Bob Dylan - Mama, You Been On My Mind
07. Freddie King - Dust My Broom
08. Futureshock - Late at Night
09. All Them Witches - Diamond
10. Voyager - White Shadow
11. Sloppy Seconds - I Don't Wanna Be a Homosexual

round 12 nomination
Seireki13ya - Itoshiutakatato

Let the night air cool you off
1. Sandy Posey - Born A Woman
2. Bob Dylan - Mama, You Been On My Mind
3. George Strait - When Did You Stop Loving Me
4. Freddie King - Dust My Broom
5. All Them Witches - Diamond
6. Dreamwell - Sayaka
7. Joan Armatrading - I'm Lucky
8. Voyager - White Shadow
9. Sloppy Seconds - I Don't Wanna Be a Homosexual
10. Futureshock - Late at Night
11. Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes

Holy sh*t. I love that Sandy Posey song. Probably overrating on first listen, but it's big million.

Round 11

1. All Them Witches - Diamond
2. Freddie King - Dust My Broom
3. Sandy Posey - Born a Woman
4. Sloppy Seconds - I Don't Wanna Be a Homosexual
5. Voyager - White Shadow
6. Bob Dylan - Mama, You Been on My Mind
7. George Strait - When Did You Stop Loving Me
8. Joan Armatrading - I'm Lucky
9. Futureshock - Late at Night
10. Ultrabeat - Pretty Green Eyes (Original link was unavailable, so watched the "official video" which at least rewarded me with some eye candy.)
11. Dreamwell - Sayaka

Ten listens in. Nope. Did not overrate.

I heard it playing in the background of a movie I saw recently, and immediately perked up, frantically trying to google an answer to what it was.

unfortunately that production is what makes black metal sound so pretty. underratedly beautiful genre.

It works for black metal. Because black metal is just so much about the texture of sound, by pushing it all up front, stripping it of the kind of dynamics you expect from other music, you can just feel it like this pure rush of noise. It's great! And, yes, beautiful is a word that can sometimes get lost when describing a genre that has so much ugliness attached to it. But it is a word that is totally appropriate when you just let it wash over you. It absolutely is beautiful music a lot of the time (and I think the evident truth of this is part of the reason there has been such a harsh backlash against a band like Deafheaven in the community, as it brings this element right up to the surface...exposing black metals dirty little pretty secret, and selling lots of records in the process)

A system of cells interlinked
unfortunately that production is what makes black metal sound so pretty. underratedly beautiful genre.
I was speaking about the production used on melodic death metal being brick walled. Black metal isn't brick walled, and tends to have a dirtier but more dynamic overall approach to production, which as you say, adds to the experience and overall feel of the music. most modern metal production tends to be brick-walled, but genres such as black metal have stayed true to old school, more dynamic production, with some of it - Wolves in the Throne Room for example - even allowing amplifier artifacts and random unintended guitar noise into the recording. These things never appear on the over-polished Finnish sad boi death metal, for example - that stuff is all put through the same glossy production machine, which becomes tiresome pretty quickly. I like the songs and the writing etc., but the production leaves something to be desired.

Black metal still brings the goods in most cases, especially bands like Agalloch, which is sort of mellow black metal, or my favorite black metal band, Moonsorrow, which has a pretty much unassailable discography of amazing music throughout their entire career. Check out their record Viides luku – Hävitetty for an example of two close to 30 minute long epic black metal tracks with a folk influence.

More recently, check out Eternal Shroud's record, Trisagion.

Listening to the round now, btw!

Blut Aus Nord may be my favorite black metal band. Check out their Memoria Vetusta or 777 albums for starters.
I'm not sure if any of their songs are a good fit for this game since they're long, repetitive and work better within their albums' concepts than as standalone songs.