The Videogames Tab

Tools    

So, back to Andromeda. I know I said after I've played it, but tough. So far the characters are as bad as everyone said they would be. Some worse than others.
WARNING: "just in case" spoilers below
The dad always sounds like he's sedated on some heavy duty drugs.
However, I have to agree with those that said the actual gameplay is fun. I like the exploration portion of the game and fighting has really improved. Also like the fact that I can jump. Might as well make my character a rabbit with the amount of time I spend jumping. I rarely even walk now. I just landed on
WARNING: "just in case pt. deux" spoilers below
Eos
and the story is starting to pick up, but still not nearly captivating enough.

@CosmicRunaway (or anyone else playing it) any thoughts so far?

@MonnoM I'm liking Andromeda. It's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be.

Yesterday and Tuesday I only got to play it for a couple of hours due to my work schedule, so this evening was the first time I got to play it for an extended period of time (5 hours straight - I didn't realize what time it was until I could hear my room mate getting ready for bed haha). After I do my usual house work tomorrow, I plan to spend the rest of the day playing it. I'm also off Saturday and Sunday, so there should be plenty of time to dive into it more deeply.

I think I'm about finished up on the planet mentioned in your part 2 spoiler. I might've kept playing to see for sure, but I fell into an environmental hazard that killed me haha.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Rocket League update with DropShot and Season 4.

Man, DropShot is pretty hectic for me. It's chaos and a free-for-all. At least with the other games there was some sense of teamwork, here there is nothing.
Played some, and I'm seeing some team strategy (the way the 'goals' open up requiring players to rotate back defensively and forage forwards in packs like normal, but with even more situational awareness - some times going 2 in defence if your area is wrecked)...

But damn do I not have the aerial powers to serve my team well . I mean I do alright, but I do still miss at least 50% of my attempts, which in a fine margin game is kinda killer. I also struggle to position myself defensively when the damn thing's looping over your head so often.

Kinda like it though. Could be fun with really close skill levels. Also liked how when it goes to overtime the existing goal patchwork carries on... (It was like a garish version of the Somme out there by the end )

@MonnoM I'm liking Andromeda. It's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be.

Yesterday and Tuesday I only got to play it for a couple of hours due to my work schedule, so this evening was the first time I got to play it for an extended period of time (5 hours straight - I didn't realize what time it was until I could hear my room mate getting ready for bed haha). After I do my usual house work tomorrow, I plan to spend the rest of the day playing it. I'm also off Saturday and Sunday, so there should be plenty of time to dive into it more deeply.

I think I'm about finished up on the planet mentioned in your part 2 spoiler. I might've kept playing to see for sure, but I fell into an environmental hazard that killed me haha.
Ha, yeah. Had a close call once jumping near the radiation border. Another thing was scanning the planets. Took me a while before I realized I didn't have to scan every inch of it to find a signal.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Played some, and I'm seeing some team strategy (the way the 'goals' open up requiring players to rotate back defensively and forage forwards in packs like normal, but with even more situational awareness - some times going 2 in defence if your area is wrecked)...

But damn do I not have the aerial powers to serve my team well . I mean I do alright, but I do still miss at least 50% of my attempts, which in a fine margin game is kinda killer. I also struggle to position myself defensively when the damn thing's looping over your head so often.

Kinda like it though. Could be fun with really close skill levels. Also liked how when it goes to overtime the existing goal patchwork carries on... (It was like a garish version of the Somme out there by the end )

I really wish it was easier to make parties with cross-platform players.

Suspect's Reviews

Ha, yeah. Had a close call once jumping near the radiation border.
You can stay out in radiation 1 pretty long, but there are some random areas where the radiation spikes significantly with no warning (there are a few of those places around the starting safe zone for example). Maybe there was some visual way to tell, but my only indication was suddenly my life support was on critical and my health was dropping fast, so I had to gun it back to the Mako vehicle, then try to find the nearest breathable area so I could replenish my life support haha. Despite a dozen or so close calls, radiation is not what killed me last night. All I'm going to say to avoid spoilers is that when you get to an underground area, beware the water-like substance.

Another thing was scanning the planets. Took me a while before I realized I didn't have to scan every inch of it to find a signal.
It took me a couple of planets to figure out that if you're not immediately told there's an anomaly/signal/strange reading when you scan, you can back out and try the next planet. Like in the previous games, keeping an eye on the completion percentage for the cluster will give you a pretty good indication of what's around as well.

You can stay out in radiation 1 pretty long, but there are some random areas where the radiation spikes significantly with no warning (there are a few of those places around the starting safe zone for example). Maybe there was some visual way to tell, but my only indication was suddenly my life support was on critical and my health was dropping fast, so I had to gun it back to the Mako vehicle, then try to find the nearest breathable area so I could replenish my life support haha. Despite a dozen or so close calls, radiation is not what killed me last night. All I'm going to say to avoid spoilers is that when you get to an underground area, beware the water-like substance.

It took me a couple of planets to figure out that if you're not immediately told there's an anomaly/signal/strange reading when you scan, you can back out and try the next planet. Like in the previous games, keeping an eye on the completion percentage for the cluster will give you a pretty good indication of what's around as well.
Paying attention has never really been my strong suit.

beware the water-like substance
I've been staying away from water in general. I didn't trust it from the beginning, no matter how innocent it looks.

Insensible soccer!

(I swear if this is even half as good as Sensible Soccer I'm uninstalling Pro Evo )

I've been staying away from water in general. I didn't trust it from the beginning, no matter how innocent it looks.
Water is so untrustworthy in the real world too. One minute it's a liquid, then it gets too cold and suddenly it's a solid. Later it's liable to change it's mind and just disappear into thin air.

And no, I don't know what I'm talking about. I think I'm tired and a little giddy from playing that game all day.

I love that this is the only thread on the site where this statement doesn't look insane.

Dammit, Super Arcade Soccer is like all the other Sensible Soccer clones. Far too sensible...

Ball sticks to your feet too much, there's no real edge-of-your-seat skill or nuance to it. I assumed the slow mo shot would have a curve to it but no. Bit meh :/

(There is a 'less sticky foot' option, but you still can't angle the ball in interesting and unpredictible / uncontrollable ways, it just means you lose it if you turn at right angles :/)

I love that this is the only thread on the site where this statement doesn't look insane.
I don't know, seems like a perfect fit for the Trump thread.

@CosmicRunaway Just finished the underground area and I actually really liked it. Did die once and yes it was the water.

WARNING: "just in case pt. tres" spoilers below
P.S. I dig Peebee. She seems to be the only one so far with any character. She kind of makes me nostalgic for the previous games.

@MonnoM I find her slightly irritating, but I do like how lively she is and she might become a permanent part of my team because so far her biotic skills (particularly Shockwave) are more in-line with what I'm looking for than Cora's.

I have access to all the characters now, so I'm trying to figure out what my A team is going to be. I've always played an Infiltrator in the previous games, and in ME1 and 3 Kaidan and Garrus made a well rounded team for me. I don't remember who I used in 2. I think Garrus and Miranda, then later switched Miranda out for Samara. I really liked Zaeed from the DLC, so when I got him I think I said screw Biotics and just ran Garrus and Zaeed haha.

Despite being an Infiltrator, I don't have that many points spent in Tech right now because I had to pump everything into Combat Fitness so I could carry a Sniper Rifle and Assault Riffle at the same time without ruining my skill cooldown, and I started with Technician instead of Operative so I needed to unlock it first. Clearly I am great at pre-planning my characters.

"I wade hip-deep into the water."

@MonnoM I find her slightly irritating, but I do like how lively she is and she might become a permanent part of my team because so far her biotic skills (particularly Shockwave) are more in-line with what I'm looking for than Cora's.

I have access to all the characters now, so I'm trying to figure out what my A team is going to be. I've always played an Infiltrator in the previous games, and in ME1 and 3 Kaidan and Garrus made a well rounded team for me. I don't remember who I used in 2. I think Garrus and Miranda, then later switched Miranda out for Samara. I really liked Zaeed from the DLC, so when I got him I think I said screw Biotics and just ran Garrus and Zaeed haha.

Despite being an Infiltrator, I don't have that many points spent in Tech right now because I had to pump everything into Combat Fitness so I could carry a Sniper Rifle and Assault Riffle at the same time without ruining my skill cooldown, and I started with Technician instead of Operative so I needed to unlock it first. Clearly I am great at pre-planning my characters.
That's an understatement, ha. I need to step up my game.

I'm also playing as an infiltrator, also with sniper and assault rifle right now. My team currently consists of Liam and Cora and it's working out well enough. Other than their banter starting to annoy the hell out of me. As for the previous games, I always took Garrus with me. He was a given. In all the games combined I would usually choose among the following (not counting Garrus)...Tali, Wrex, Jack, Miranda and Samara. Good times.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Getting really excited for Persona. I think this may be the slumpbuster I've been waiting for.

...and that steelbook isn't gonna hurt the resale.

I'm also playing as an infiltrator, also with sniper and assault rifle right now. My team currently consists of Liam and Cora and it's working out well enough. Other than their banter starting to annoy the hell out of me. As for the previous games, I always took Garrus with me. He was a given. In all the games combined I would usually choose among the following (not counting Garrus)...Tali, Wrex, Jack, Miranda and Samara. Good times.
Garrus is the best.

Now that I've played with her on my team some more, PeeBee's character has actually grown a little on me. I've been running her and Drack. Not only do they get along surprisingly well, but they're both solid party members. Having the Krogan on my team has finally made me feel confident going into battle. The dude's a beast, and I appreciate him getting close to the enemy and drawing fire so I can snipe safely from a distance. The fact that he can't die while enraged is a huge bonus. Unlike some other teammates *cough*Cora*cough* I've never had to revive him either.

On another note, the most recent planet I've been to has corrosive water. I'm starting to feel as though the devs intentionally made all water to be a huge threat to get around having to program swimming, or figuring out how the Nomad would operate in water.

Garrus is the best.

Now that I've played with her on my team some more, PeeBee's character has actually grown a little on me. I've been running her and Drack. Not only do they get along surprisingly well, but they're both solid party members. Having the Krogan on my team has finally made me feel confident going into battle. The dude's a beast, and I appreciate him getting close to the enemy and drawing fire so I can snipe safely from a distance. The fact that he can't die while enraged is a huge bonus. Unlike some other teammates *cough*Cora*cough* I've never had to revive him either.

On another note, the most recent planet I've been to has corrosive water. I'm starting to feel as though the devs intentionally made all water to be a huge threat to get around having to program swimming, or figuring out how the Nomad would operate in water.
You should always be of water.

Funny, because I just finished speaking with everyone back on my ship and decided to take Peebee and Drack with me on my next mission. Good to know I'm headed out with a star team.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm working my way slowly through Horizon Zero Dawn. It really is amazingly pretty:

These are in-game screenshots, not promotional stills. Helpfully, the game has a photo mode but these aren't touched up in any way. The second picture is especially stunning.

Even at 4k, gameplay is smooth and I've not had any performance issues.

Which brings me to the actual game...

5 or so hours in and I'm still at the 'don't know' stage. Combat is satisfying, crafting is the least bone-numbingly dull I've yet seen and the story is well told. When you add the visuals, we should have a winner, right?

Right?

Don't think I've had fun yet.