Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)

There are complaints I could make about this because I do think it fell short of it's potential, but there was a lot that I liked about it. I thought all of the actors offered something whether it was through their performances or their characters. It reminded me a little of The Pawnshop Chronicles, another movie that I probably liked more than I should have. The soundtrack was an enormous asset.

Sunset Strip (2012)

Record reckoning the passage from the more glamorous stages of the Strip in LA, sophistication lost, landmarks, and changing of culture. Sightings from Hugh Hefner, Dan Aykroyd, Mickey Rourke, Johnny Depp, Keanu Reeves, Sharon Stone along with mentions of Judy Garland, Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, Richard Pryor, John Belushi, and I'd enjoy more had they given more TIME ('steada the wrong kind) to the RIGHT kind of 80s FUN metal. Therefore an 80s fun metal song I like, and in a real underground kinda way, I'm linking to it. You're a dinosaur, if you're not breaking new ground.

"Love's An Injection"

Rating:
7.0 / 10

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Strip.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	51105  

Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski (2018)

Considered by many to be the greatest sculptor of the 20th Century, the lion's share of Stanislav Szukalski's (sue-cull-skee) unsold work was destroyed in a Nazi bombing raid of Warsaw, Poland in 1939. Having traveled to the U.S. before and with U.S. citizenship from a prior marriage, Szukalski and his current wife moved to the U.S. permanently after the bombing, eventually settling in Burbank. Not having the name recognition that he did in Europe he gradually drifted into obscurity.

In 1971 his presence was accidentally discovered by the actor Glenn Bray, and was soon surrounded and promoted by some of the artists of the day. The group included George DiCaprio. George and his son Leonardo (the actor) eventually produced this captivating documentary.

This is a unique find. It's as if DaVinci were recently discovered, along with all his writings, teaching and that much of his work became available.

Perhaps Ms. M would like to comment on this greatest of sculptors who was Polish.

Available on Netflix and streaming services. Doc's rating: 9/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	imageedit_1_9469894133.png
Views:	320
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	51104  

Unregistered User
Me too.

I think you would like Red Road. A very unusual story from Glasgow. Excellent movie.

Yeah I actully rewatched it just before Xmas. I liked it too. Ive still to see American Honey from Arnold, have you seen it?

Unregistered User

The Phantom Carriage (1921)

Probably my favourite silent movie, well it would be up there anyway. The fact that this is approaching 100 years old is totally mind-boggling! I'm sure when this was released it totally blew everyones mind. Such a great but tragic story and the imagery is amazing, so ahead of its time.

Not that it means much but the director, Victor Sjostrom is Prof. Borg from Bergman's Wild Strawberries.

Would be great to see this in the Horror list.

Hmmm, I think it's not instructive at all. I would say opposite - it rather shows parents powerless than is a warning.
A better description than mine Ms. M

Boldly going.
3/10.
Another example of how video games do not make for good source material.
If you want to see a movie with a gorilla climbing a building, watch Peter Jackson's King Kong.
I have yet to see The Rock in a good live-action movie, which is ironic considering he's the top-earning actor in Hollywood.

The Phantom Carriage (1921)

Probably my favourite silent movie, well it would be up there anyway. The fact that this is approaching 100 years old is totally mind-boggling! I'm sure when this was released it totally blew everyones mind. Such a great but tragic story and the imagery is amazing, so ahead of its time.

Not that it means much but the director, Victor Sjostrom is Prof. Borg from Bergman's Wild Strawberries.

Would be great to see this in the Horror list.

I'd never heard of this film. The entire film (with subtitles) is on YouTube, so we'll have to watch it. The quality looks excellent.

~Doc

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Revenger (Lee Seung-Won, 2018): Korean action film that debuted on Netflix last week stars martial arts ace Bruce Khan as Yul, a former cop who learned his deadliest enemy is in charge of a prison in an isolated island. He heads to the island in order to kill the enemy, Khun, to avenge the death of his wife and child. The plot is simple, but the action sequences are the star here, showcasing Khan, at 51 years old, in top form as he fights and hacks his way towards Khun's goons, all leading to an amazing showdown between Yul and Khun.

A solid

Black Magic (1949)
really this was lesser Welles

The Swamp
I glazed over and stopped paying attention 15 minutes in.

An American in Paris
- still one of my least favorite BP winners