The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Neither film made my ballot, but both are very good. Here's what I wrote on To Live and Die in L.A. for a Hall of Fame:

Friedkin is now two for two with memorable car chases.

I might be rating this film too high, but since its best elements have stuck with me to a significant degree since watching it, my better judgment says my rating for it is fair. On the surface level, it has some strong acting across the board (Willem Dafoe, in particular) and some well-executed action scenes (including a car chase scene whose choreography and sense of thrills rivals that in The French Connection). It also has some memorable music choices. Beyond all the gloss though, it's also a compelling story which examines the personality and morality of the two main officers in the film. Chance is reckless and corrupt, while Vukovich is more level-headed and follows the rules. Watching the two of them carry out the investigation in their own distinct ways and observing the impact it has on them is where the film shines. For instance, while the aforementioned car chase is great, the aftermath of it comes with its own set of teeth since Vukovich is crippled by guilt for his involvement in it, while Chance remains unfazed throughout it. I wasn't a fan of the culmination of Vukovich's arc since his actions were too rushed for me to buy them, but this is a minor flaw in the grand scheme of everything else. For the most part, the film handles the characters very well and does a fine job at exploring the ways their shaped by their surroundings.

I've never seen To Live and Die in L.A.. Ask me anything

I have mixed feelings about 2049. There's a lot that's good about it but I don't know how much I like it as a sequel. And all bits involving Jared Leto are unnecessary.
Now that made me laugh!

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... BLADE RUNNER 2049

RT – 88%, IMDb – 8.0

Brian Tallerico, from RogerEbert.com, said:

"[Denis Villeneuve]’s in no way seeking to improve or replace [Blade Runner]—the films now work together, enriching each other instead of mimicking. They ask timeless questions and, like all great films, refuse to give you all the answers, allowing viewers to debate and discuss their meaning instead of merely being passive recipients of mindless entertainment." (read full review here)
Evan Narcisse, from Gizmodo, said:

"As a follow-up to a beloved movie from decades ago, Blade Runner 2049 mostly succeeds by building strong skeleton of noir conventions that support the focus on mood and idiosyncrasy. Noir movies always venture into places where morality is shifting and human nature gets exposed in its rawest forms, and Blade Runner 2049 shows how the template probably won’t ever go out of style." (read full review here)
@Takoma11 said:

"The world that was established in the previous film already brings with it the loaded question of what is real and even the nature of reality. This theme is carried forward and extended by putting a character front and center who is explicitly questioning the nature of his own life and reality. K knows that he is a replicant, but even within the confines of that fact, who is he really?" (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A.

RT – 88%, IMDb – 7.3

Roger Ebert said:

"The whole plot is neat, revolving around a few central emotions - friendship, loyalty, arrogance, anger. By the time the great chase sequence arrives, it isn't just a novelty that's tacked onto a movie where it doesn't fit. It's part of the plot. The Secret Service agents bungle their crime, the cops come in pursuit, and the chase unfolds in a long, dazzling ballet of timing, speed and imagination." (read full review here)
Jeremy Urquhart, from Collider, said:

"To Live and Die in L.A. is a quintessential 1980s neo-noir movie [...] It takes a simple revenge movie premise and milks all the excitement and grisly violence it can from such a set-up [...] It's filled with remarkably stylish visuals and some of the greatest action sequences in crime movie history, particularly one car chase that has to be seen to be." (read full review here)
@JayDee said:

"The film is a bit of a oxymoron in that it feels both dated, but in some ways still quite modern and fresh. Some of its visuals and music, and in particular the day-glo titles certainly place it firmly in the 80s. And yet it feels ahead of its time, pre-dating the kind of kinetic and violent offerings the 90s would offer up from the likes of Quentin Tarantino. And with its anti-heroes and needless violence it still feels quite current. It's an impressively filmed and acted effort which certainly thrills and enthralls." (read full review here)

A Simple Plan, The Player and Blast of Silence are all great and were in heavy contention for my ballot. Cusack is the man and The Grifters is solid but was never in contention for my list (awkward mother-son situationship).
Blade Runner 2049 is aesthetically awesome and visually very sci-fi / tech- noir looking, it’s on my neo noir top hundred. de Armas . Maybe I was having a bad day but To Live and Die in L.A. didn't really click with me, perhaps I should try it again.

SEEN: 53/58
MY BALLOT: 6/25

The Grifters is solid but was never in contention for my list (awkward mother-son situationship).
Not awkward. Oedipal.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

To Live and Die in L.A. is one of those movies I keep meaning to see, but haven't gotten around to.

I wasn't impressed with Blade Runner 2049. It expanded on the world setting well, and visually it was stunning, but to me the good doesn't outweigh the bad. It tries too hard to be mainstream, and the beginning of a series. It doesn't stand up well enough as art. It doesn't do a very good job at being a purely entertaining movie either. I don't think it's a bad movie, just a combination of elements that work well on their own, that don't work together, like vanilla ice cream and balsamic vinegar.

Seen 31 of 58 of the list.

This weird, audacious, thrilling, and bleak flick was on my list.

I have loved To Live & Die in L.A. since I saw it theatrically in 1985. As discussed in THIS THREAD, despite its R rating and adult content a buddy and I saw it one night when we were fifteen, thanks to a probably eighteen-year-old ticket seller who didn’t give a crap whether we were too young or not. We probably were a bit young, but what an engrossing ride! Even at that age I could tell this was not simply an anti-hero at work but rather a look at obsession and a very dark character moving through an even darker world. I had seen Willem Dafoe before in Streets of Fire, but he was so odd and cool and seductive and unique and dangerous as Robin Masters the artist/counterfeiter. It was the first time I saw John Turturro in anything, a memorable turn. Years later when John Pankow and Jane Leeves show up as sitcom regulars (on "Mad About You" and "Fraiser", respectively) I knew damn well who they were.

The car chase that is really the centerpiece of the film is everything it is chalked up to be and more. Friedkin had set the bar extremely high with the chase under the elevated train in The French Connection but he was up to the challenge. It has such a great emotional component to it, Vukovich freaking out in the back seat while the thrill-seeking Chance calmly swerves around each obstacle, with more and more cars and guns pursuing them, culminating with going the wrong way on the freeway. Brilliantly designed and raises the stakes perfectly. The ending is appropriately weird and bloody and dark as night with our main protagonist taking one in the face before the final confrontation can even take place. So good. Of course, there are some very 1980s elements, but To Live and Die in L.A. holds up extremely well, nearly forty years later. For me I like it more than Michael Mann's Manhunter, also starring William Petersen, released the following year, though both are top rate.

I had To Live & Die in L.A. as my dozenth pick, good for fourteen points. Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

HOLDEN'S BALLOT
7. The Grifters (#45)
8. One False Move (#73)
9. Blast of Silence (#48)
12. To Live & Die in L.A. (#43)
13. The Naked Kiss (#51)
15. Shallow Grave (#95)
17. Dead Again (#90)
22. The Hot Spot (#85)
24. Blue Ruin (#82)
25. Johnny Handsome (DNP)

A system of cells interlinked
Seen all four of the last couple of day's entries.

The Grifters was a re-watch for me on the run up to ballot time, and I liked it quite a bit less this time around. I am with GulfportDoc here, in that the story is pretty gross, and although I am a big fan of Cussack, he doesn't fit here for me. The rest of the actors were all great, and this is a well-made neo, but I kicked it out of contention shortly after this most recent viewing.

I didn't get a chance to watch A Simple Plan again before the deadline, so I couldn't put it on my list, as I barely remember it.

To Live and Die in L.A. was on my list at #25, just making the cut. Another re-watch on the run up to the deadline, this is a great neo with equal parts style and 80s awesomeness. This film feels ahead of its time in some ways, like portions of the film were forward-thinking into the late 90s. Or perhaps some of the gritty late 90s stuff just takes inspiration from this. Excellent neo!

Ok, in full disclosure, I pushed Blade Runner 2049 all the way up to #11 on my list, while fully realizing that it probably shouldn't be on my last at all. There is an argument that one of the biggest differences between the sequel and the original is that the sequel removes much of what made the original qualify as neo-noir in the first place. I don't fully agree, but I can understand the argument. Alas, there it is, qualifying for this countdown, and I made the decision to not only put it on my ballot, but to shamelessly juice it up the rankings as far as possible without putting it above films that are obviously and clearly more deserving and better examples of neo-noir. Big fan of BR 49, and I still pop it on when I am in the mood.

2 for 2. I liked Blade Runner 2049. I didn't consider it a neo-noir which is a bit weird since I definitely see the original as noir. It's not a perfect movie but there were so many ways it could have been done wrong. Anyone attempting a sequel to an "untouchable" classic is starting out at a huge disadvantage. I interpret the inevitable backlash being somewhat muted as a positive. Having said all this I still can't wrap my brain around it under-performing at the box office. It was set up to win. The Right Stuff anyone?

I also liked To Live and Die in L.A. It's a good movie but not a great one. Good set pieces. The car chase of course. Willem Dafoe. But it isn't greater than the sum of it's parts. A cult classic maybe?

36 of 58 seen.

To Live and Die in LA deserved to be on my list more than a few that made it. Friedkin is the boss.

And speaking of Friedkin's, did I remember Cruising? I hope I remembered Cruising (for it's inevitable no show)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
this film was #19 on my list. The Grifters moves at such an assured pace and style thanks to the excellent direction by Stephen Frears, exceptional writing, and great performances especially from Angelica Huston - who is nothing less than amazing in the film.
YES she was!

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#44. Blade Runner 2049

40/100
Saw it when it came out. Ugh! A cheap mediocre cinema within expensive package and propaganda flooded mass medias. There is nothing, a zero screenplay, zero idea. Its main purpose is showing Harrison Ford in couple of scenes to excite the monkey descendant part of the population.
A Golden Raspberry for the highly miscast Ryan Gosling would be natural.

#44. Blade Runner 2049

40/100
Saw it when it came out. Ugh! A cheap mediocre cinema within expensive package and propaganda flooded mass medias. There is nothing, a zero screenplay, zero idea. Its main purpose is showing Harrison Ford in couple of scenes to excite the monkey descendant part of the population.
One positive for the movie...people stopped saying Deckard was a replicant after BR2049 came out.

I've seen exactly half of the last 8 reveals.

Even though I was a little mixed on the film when I first saw it, and didn't rewatch it for the Countdown, You Were Never Really Here was on my shortlist when I first compiled it, though I did cut it early. I've seen Get Carter (and the remake), but don't really remember much of either.

The Player was nominated for me in one of the Personal Recommendations Hall of Fames, but partway through I realized I'd actually seen it before. I rewatched the entire thing even though it would likely be disqualified, and thought it was a solid satire with some great camera work. I might have considered it for my list if I'd thought about it, but for some reason this is a film that I keep forgetting about haha.

I definitely understand all the critiques people have about Blade Runner 2049, but I was thoroughly engaged with that film from start to finish. I didn't even want to see it originally, but I went anyway and was really glad that I hadn't completely dismissed it. The aesthetics are amazing, and I am not ashamed to admit that I had this at #2 on my list.

Seen: 28/58

My List:
02. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - #44
05. Blue Ruin (2013) - #82
06. Mother (2009) - #67
08. Strange Days (1995) - #65
10. The Man from Nowhere (2010) - #87
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
21. Oldboy (2003) - #52
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

A system of cells interlinked
#44. Blade Runner 2049

40/100
This is all a bunch of nonsense right here. Nice try at a troll, though. Probably not worth much more of response than that or I would defend against your silly claims...