Spider-Man 4

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I keep hearing people talking about movies being "overhyped", so they didn't like them so much, but to me, these flicks seem like films which nobody would independently think were going to be all that good. Except for a few rare exceptions, do people actually believe the second sequel is going to provide anything THAT new or good? I guess I'm lucky that I don't pay attention to the "hype" of some of these flicks. I usually just watch 'em and usually on DVD.

That's true, I don't expect a masterpiece.
I think alot of people saw the trailers and already put it up to a standard it couldn't achieve, thus all the negativity.

doubtful on this one for me, as havent even seen Spidy 3, though its sitting 'round here somewhere. It just looked as though it was trying too hard to be really intense, and I just keep wondering how much more intense can Toby Maguire get?

Along the same line of mark's thinking, I would also submit that if (like me) you have read a lot of the comics that these flicks are based on. It's easy to see that they (Hollywood) hasn't even scratched the surface of the whole comic book universe. They could potentially make 1000 Spiderman movies and likewise for just about any other character from the Marvel or DC universe for that matter. The trouble is it seems, it just takes to much money to really make these flicks "look" good. If you follow.

I myself don't even tend to think of these as "real" movies, I just watch them purely to enjoy watching my childhood heroes on the big screen.

I saw both Spiderman I and Spiderman II, and they were both very, very good. I enjoyed them both immensely, and thought that Spiderman II was even better than Spiderman I. However, what I read and heard about Spiderman III made me decide against going to see it and, I am not sure how well Spiderman IV will turn out.

A system of cells interlinked
Spiderman III was lackluster at best. The addition of a third villain just didn't work. Raimi had to grapple with how he was going to keep two of the villains occupied in the first reels of the film, while Spidey was engaged with the third. This merry-go-round, sort of waiting in the aisles approach was unrealistic and contrived, and in the end, the film suffered.

Sandman was interesting, and not developing his character further was a mistake. Hayden-Church has decent chops, and I thought he portrayed the conflicted, troubled character well in the short screen time he did get.

Venom was an absolute disaster. I mean, the whole idea that the thing would quickly scoot over to Peter's MoPed, get on it, and then...do nothing for a while...until the script required it to go after Peter, was just ridiculous. Not to mention Topher Grace, who is a weak actor in the first place, was TERRIBLE in this role. I cringed several times in the theater.

Dark Peter was embarrassing to watch. Taking a page from the Anakin Skywalker book of terrible melodrama, I wanted to walk out during the section of the film when Peter was strutting around looking all Emo. Who wrote that? Some kid in the 6th grade?

Spiderman III was a huge disappointment. One of the poorer attempts in the genre of comic book film.

I hope they put the franchise to bed, and pronto.

I can't wait for this! Hoping for some proper news soon though

In the Beginning...
Spiderman III was lackluster at best. The addition of a third villain just didn't work. Raimi had to grapple with how he was going to keep two of the villains occupied in the first reels of the film, while Spidey was engaged with the third. This merry-go-round, sort of waiting in the aisles approach was unrealistic and contrived, and in the end, the film suffered.

Sandman was interesting, and not developing his character further was a mistake. Hayden-Church has decent chops, and I thought he portrayed the conflicted, troubled character well in the short screen time he did get.

Venom was an absolute disaster. I mean, the whole idea that the thing would quickly scoot over to Peter's MoPed, get on it, and then...do nothing for a while...until the script required it to go after Peter, was just ridiculous. Not to mention Topher Grace, who is a weak actor in the first place, was TERRIBLE in this role. I cringed several times in the theater.

Dark Peter was embarrassing to watch. Taking a page from the Anakin Skywalker book of terrible melodrama, I wanted to walk out during the section of the film when Peter was strutting around looking all Emo. Who wrote that? Some kid in the 6th grade?

Spiderman III was a huge disappointment. One of the poorer attempts in the genre of comic book film.

I hope they put the franchise to bed, and pronto.
I'm with this guy.

I think Venom was slighted, and plus Gwen Stacy's character only served as a conflict between MJ and Peter. I would have focused more on Harry/Peter's resolutions and maybe added the nerdy-girl from the comics (can't remember her name) who liked Peter, and serve as an opposite to MJ. I would have had them be lab partners and have her unwittingly be helping him with his exploits as Spider-man, and thus makin MJ jealous. I wouldn't have done the batman thing, and reveal Flint marko as uncle Ben's killer, instead, I would portray him as a low-life thug that Spidey comes across in the first act, and then feeling guilty when he escapes and causes so much damage, and inevitably becoming sandman. This would make him call into question whether what he does as a hero just creates more destruction.

I feel that the creators (we all know who they are) of Spidey 3 were trying to appeal to a family audience. That just does not work with Venom in the mix. Grow up and take the chance on and R-rated flick that can let you explore. Just my thoughts.

Let us see what an R rating can do for M. Night. I for one hope it does great things.

Although, I think an R rating is a little over doing it, I do think that the Spider-man movies were watered down and simplified for a younger audience. In some instances, the acting and even action seemed cartoonish and kind of out-of-place. e.g. Spider-man being cheered by crowds in all three movies, anyone familiar with the character knows that one core factor of Spider-man is that the public in general think he is a criminal. I guess they just wanted the same reaction the hero gets in Superman and batman films. Still kinda' cheezy though.

.....doesn't know what to put here!
Superhero Movies have never really got me excited, exept for Superhero Movie, which makes fun of them (can't wait 'til it comes out in UK!)

Last DVD watched-Scary Movie 3

Last DVD Bought-Scary Movie 3

I hated three. if 4 proves to be true, i'll give it a chance but with reluctance.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
The Los Angeles Times reports that "Spider-Man" franchise producer Laura Ziskin said the fourth installment is tentatively scheduled to hit theaters in May 2011.

Already scheduled for the month of May that year are Marvel's own The First Avenger: Captain America on the 6th and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II.

Ziskin added that the screenplay is not finished yet, but that she and Sony Pictures were hopeful Spider-Man 4 could be ready in three years' time.

Neither star Tobey Maguire nor director Sam Raimi is yet committed to work on the next installment, but Sony has paid Marvel to renew its rights.
Source

Movie Forums Critic
hey nice post

I won't be reading the novelization of Spiderman 4 before the movie comes out -- I did that with Spiderman 3. I wanted to know all of its secrets... did anyone else do that? Can you imagine trying to read through all of that mess? I knew it wasn't going to be that good of a movie after reading it - the book was almost CLOSED when Venom finally arrived.

I still kinda like it for the cheeziness and the fact that Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst and James Franco were all in it. I imagine that won't be the case with part 4... sadness.

I liked spider-man 3. I think they should have just one vliian instead of two. the 2 spider-man is my favorite. i still like the fist one.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I love the Spiderman films, But 9 I think thats going abit far! I enjoy pretty much all the comic book to movie films. At the mo I think the x-men series is the best, but I havent seen Ironman yet that looks fantastic.