Movie Tab II

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Kong: Skull Island (Vogt-Roberts)

What an unusual film. Actually, I'd argue Kong is more sandbox than cinema. Sure, there are some characters in the movie and I suppose you could say there's a plot, too. But these things are merely compulsory and serve only to carry the audience from one dazzling action sequence to the next.

Obviously this phenomenon is nothing new, especially when one considers other entries in the gargantuan monster genre. But Kong comes off as particularly sterile and disjointed. The humans are nameless paper dolls who only play at drama; the real drama lies with the titular ape/skyscraper and the just havoc he inflicts. And while those moments are deliciously raw and cathartic, I couldn't shake the feeling that older, more polished creature features (Aliens, Jurassic Park, and even Peter Jackson's own King Kong) filled the mold better.

The Dream of a Ridiculous man (1992) by Aleksandr Petrov
+

The Old Man and the Sea (1999) by Aleksandr Petrov
+

Am Siel (1962) by Peter Nestler
+

A Scene at the Sea (1991) by Takeshi Kitano

The Player (1992) by Robert Altman
+

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) by Robert Altman

Scarred Hearts (2016) by Radu Jude

Paterson (2016) by Jim Jarmusch
+

Only Angels Have Wings (1939) by Howard Hawks

The Life of Oharu (1952) by Kenji Mizoguchi

In a Year of 13 Moons (1978) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder

The Collector (1967) by Eric Rohmer

Asparagus (1979) by Suzan Pitt
+

Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (1945) by Robert Bresson
+

Absurda (2007) by David Lynch

Ivan the Terrible, Part Two (1958) by Sergei M. Eisenstein and M. Filimonova

Elle (2016) by Paul Verhoeven
+

Slack Bay (2016) by Bruno Dumont
+

Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948) by Max Ophüls

In the Beginning...
Your Highness (Green, 2011)

Not much to say about this forgettable comedy except the supporting cast (Charles Dance, Damian Lewis, Toby Jones) was stupendously overqualified for their roles, as was Natalie Portman, who won a motherf---ing Oscar only a year before.

That booty, tho.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
女番長 [Girl Boss Revenge: Sukeban] (1973) -

The fourth installment in the Girl Boss series and the last one directed by Noribumi Suzuki. Also, the most brutal of the bunch. Miki Sugimoto gets roughed up pretty badly in this (by the yakuza and psycho-domina bitch!). This also has Reiko Ike, funky soundtrack and your usual sukeban goodness. A wonderful melodramatic scene at the stadium. All in all, your usual Toei yarn, which means it f*ckin' rocks!

Les films ręvés [Dreaming Film] (2009) -

Eric Pauwels just became my favourite contemporary filmmaker right after Eugčne Green. After I had finished watching the film, I wrote in the Rate Your Music comment section of it:
Feels like the history of the world. Like the whole world opening before me.
It is an ode to dreams and voyages. These unrealized, these only dreamt, these made up, finally these that lead us to Paradise. So many little particles that amalgamated create a Cosmos.

呪いの館 血を吸う眼 [Bloodthirsty Eyes] (1971) -

Also known as Lake of Dracula. The weakest in Yamamoto vampire trilogy. Dracula is introduced too early on, which kills all suspense. Also, his face expressions create a comical effect that makes the film both goofy and weirdly entertaining. The tiles in the kitchen and twine attached to a door knob are strangely memorable for some unfathomable reason, though. Last twenty minutes really pick the movie up and save it from a three star rating.

Belfast, Maine (1999) -

Wiseman's films duly deserve the title of Direct Cinema. His camera is a true observer that paints a complex painting of a city through the lives and activities of its inhabitants.

女番長 感化院脱走 [Girl Boss: Escape From Reform School] (1973) -

Starts like a lighter version of women in prison film, but after the titular escape it becomes a criminals on the run movie. Unlike other parts of the series and the least pinku of them all. But just as amazing.

Bullitt (1968) -

Some incredible tension building in the first part of the film. Languor and coldness worthy of Le Samouraď. Sadly, it goes downhill in the second half. That is, after the ingenious hospital scenes. The infamous car chase sequence was good. One interesting thing I noticed is that no music was used in it. Really loved some aspects of it, but can't bring myself to rate it higher.

Pocketful of Miracles (1961) -

Capra doing what he does best. Bette Davies is a babe. Moving finale!

Долгая счастливая жизнь [Long Happy Life] (1966) -

From the screenwriter of Walking the Streets of Moscow and I Am Twenty comes this melancholic gem. The music really adds to the experience!

ゲロリスト [Gerorisuto] (1986) -

キャタピラ [Caterpillar] (1988) -

Vomiting cutee freakin' out cyber-punk masterpiece. My body is ready for your full-lengths, Shozin Fukui!!!

Il mondo di Yor [Yor, the Hunter From the Future] (1983) -

Well, the main theme is catchy!

Exorcisme [Demoniac] (1974) -

Starts with a BDSM performance with Lina Romay. Then Franco himself plays a priest killing bitchez. Wish it was better.

Mean Streets (1973) -

A decent flick from Scorsese. Keitel and De Niro were great!

Une femme douce [A Gentle Woman] (1969) -

A minor disappointment since another Dostoevsky adaptation by Bresson is on my all-time masterpieces list. This one wasn't bad at all.

女番長 タイマン勝負 [Girl Boss: Diamond Showdown] (1974) -

Reiko Ike again. And some other cute chick I don't know the name of. Only one more part and I'm finished with the series. That's sad, because every part is freakin' amazing!

아가씨 [The Handmaiden] (2016) -

For some reason I had a hard time bringing myself to watch it (more than a month!) and when I finally started watching it, I was instantly put off by its newness for lack of a better word. Now, mind you, I'm not a Luddite. I love new films, it's just that after I've seen so many old films, a new mainstream film feels very out of place. Anyway, I was quickly drawn into it. This is a quality film, even if at times it feels too dumbed down. Maybe it's the source material (never read the book), but it feels a little teen-oriented in some parts. Thankfully, only in some of them. I loved the two female leads (if you know what I mean - great erotic scenes, best tribadism scene ever), but the ending was lame.
WARNING: "Handmaiden" spoilers below
I really hoped the basement will be some kinky dungeon with sex torture, not actual torture. Like this guy had his bloody fingers cut off. Now, seeing one of the ladies in some BDSM torture... Okay. I've seen too many pinku eiga films and it shows.

吸血鬼ゴケミドロ [Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell] (1968) -

Sky goes red, birds splash on airplane's windows, there is a bomb on the plane, a terrorist gunman takes over the plane and then the plane crashes, blinded by bloody UFO. No, these are not spoilers. That is, all this happens in the first ten minutes of this crazy movie! If it weren't for the incredibly annoying female screams every time something "scary" happens, if would easily be a four star film. What an ending. What an ending!

青梅竹馬 [Taipei Story] (1985) -

The latest in Criterion catalogue! Another Edward Yang movie recostructed in glorious 4K! Another Yang masterpiece! Really love his framing. Strangely, can't remember much from it, except for the fact I was amazed. Maybe a five star movie, shall I revisit it one day.

河流 [The River] (1997) -

Tsai is slow. Slow is good. Like many Tsai films, this one has a lot of water. Including water in the form of rain. Watching this when it was raining heavily outside was quite an experience. I found some scenes darkly humorous.
WARNING: "The River" spoilers below
Woman's son's neck hurts, so he takes her vibrator to relieve himself (from pain, he's simply using it as a massage tool). Then there's a scene with the woman turning on some pr0n and lying on the bed all sad, with a pillow between her legs, without her favourite toy.

お葬式 [The Funeral] (1984) -

Before Tampopo Itami has directed this flick. A darkly comedic yet eventually melancholic tale of a three-day-long funeral. Apparently, a funeral in Japan is a much more formal ceremony that requires you to act and answer guests' condolences in a highly sophisticated way. I'm a fan of that chick in glasses' buttcheeks!

血を吸う薔薇 [Evil of Dracula] (1974) -

The final installment in the vampire trilogy. Perhaps a four star film (I mean, if I rated the first one four stars, why not this one...).

雪之丞変化 [An Actor's Revenge] (1963) -

Ichikawa greatly succeeds in bringing a kabuki play style to film. Breathtaking visuals and interesting, if not a little bit too melodramatic, story.

She Shoulda Said 'No'! (1949) -

Don't do drugs, kids. IT'S BAD.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

“I was cured, all right!”
女番長 [Girl Boss Revenge: Sukeban] (1973) -

The fourth installment in the Girl Boss series and the last one directed by Noribumi Suzuki. Also, the most brutal of the bunch. Miki Sugimoto gets roughed up pretty badly in this (by the yakuza and psycho-domina bitch!). This also has Reiko Ike, funky soundtrack and your usual sukeban goodness. A wonderful melodramatic scene at the stadium. All in all, your usual Toei yarn, which means it f*ckin' rocks!
This looks very, very great! I'll check this films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Lockdown (John Luessenhop, 2000)
+
Above Suspicion (Richard Thorpe, 1943)

Esther Kahn (Arnaud Desplechin, 2000)

Thieves’ Highway (Jules Dassin, 1949)

Truck driver Richard Conte lets girlfriend Valentina Cortesa play tic-tac-toe on his chest, and they get so turned on, they immediately make love.
Goldy Gets Along (Malcolm St. Clair, 1933)

House of Women (Walter Doniger, 1962)

Rambling 'Round Radio Row #9 (No Director Listed, 1934)

Neruda (Pablo Larrain, 2016)

Chilean Communist poet and senator Pablo Neruda (Luis Gnecco) goes underground when the government declares his actions treasonous.
The Marrying Kind (George Cukor, 1952)
-
Know Your Ally: Britain (Robert Stevenson, 1944)
+
Frisco Kid (Lloyd Bacon, 1935)

The Mating Call (James Cruze, 1928)
-

WWI hero Thomas Meighan returns to his farm to find his marriage annulled and the KKK [here called the Order] ruling the area.
Fishy Stones (Tonie van der Merwe, 1990)

Mülheim(Ruhr) (Peter Nestler, 1964)

Knights of the Round Table (Richard Thorpe, 1953)

Mogambo (John Ford, 1953)

Two women (Grace Kelly & Ava Gardner), who both have the hots for African safari leader Clark Gable, react differently to a crocodile attack on their canoe.
Wells Fargo Days (Mack V. Wright, 1944)

Until the End of the World (Wim Wenders, 1991)
-
Rich Girl (Tonie van der Merwe, 1990)

Going in Style (Zach Braff, 2017)
+

Two elderly pensioners (Michael Caine & Morgan Freeman), whose union has reneged on their pensions, flee after shoplifting food from the grocery store when their fellow eightysomething (Alan Arkin) isn’t waiting in their “getaway car”.

Welcome to the human race...
Morgiana (Juraj Herz, 1972) -

Wheel of Time (Werner Herzog, 2003) -

Queen of the Desert (Werner Herzog, 2015) -

Le beau Serge (Claude Chabrol, 1958) -

I Am Self-Sufficient (Nanni Moretti, 1976) -

It Comes at Night (Trey Edward Shultz, 2017) -

Ecce bombo (Nanni Moretti, 1978) -

The Beguiled (Sofia Coppola, 2017) -

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Rupert Wyatt, 2011) -

Global Metal (Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn 2008) -

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Trial by Trigger (William McGann, 1944)

We’re in the Money (Ray Enright, 1935)
+
Hot Cars (Donald McDougall, 1956)

The Mummy (Alex Kurtzman, 2017)
+

Laid-back mercenary Tom Cruise comes face to face with regenerated Egyptian princess Sofia Boutella.
The Fast and the Furious (John Ireland & Edwards Sampson, 1955)

Hot Rod (Lewis D. Collins, 1950)

Umbango (Tonie van der Merwe, 1986)

Murphy’s Romance (Martin Ritt, 1985)
-

Small-town Arizona pharmacist/widower James Garner takes a shine to younger divorcee Sally Field who wants to start a horse training business.
Shining Victory (Irving Rapper, 1941)

Saddle the Wind (Robert Parrish, 1958)

Drango (Hall Bartlett, 1957)

The Matrix (Wachowskis, 1999)

In an attempt to learn if he is “The One”, Neo (Keanu Reeves) undergoes extreme training and finds that he knows kung fu.
The Story of Mankind (Irwin Allen, 1957)

The Late George Apley (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1947)

The Day of the Animals (William Girdler, 1977)

Creepy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2016)
-

Ex-detective Hidetoshi Nishijima is already suspicious of his next-door neighbor (Teruyuki Kagawa) before he makes a bizarre visit to his house.
Homo Sapiens (Nikolaus Geyrhalter, 2016)

Torn Curtain (Alfred Hitchcock, 1966)

Topaz (Alfred Hitchcock, 1969)

The Comancheros (Michael Curtiz, 1961)

Texas Ranger John Wayne poses as a gunrunner to meet up with half-scalped, crooked contact man Lee Marvin who wants to provide guns to the comancheros who in turn illegally sell them to the Comanches.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, 2014) -

War for the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, 2017) -

The Barbarian Invasions (Denys Arcand, 2003) -

3-Iron (Kim Ki-duk, 2004) -

Atari: Game Over (Zak Penn, 2014) -

Resident Evil: Retribution (Paul W.S. Anderson, 2012) -

Where the Green Ants Dream (Werner Herzog, 1984) -

Election 2 (Johnnie To, 2006) -

Atomic Blonde (David Leitch, 2017) -

A Ghost Story (David Lowery, 2017) -

“I was cured, all right!”

A serious Ringo Lam crime film.
Full Alert (Ringo Lam, 1997)

Samurai Spy (Masahiro Shinoda, 1965)

Basic Instinct 2 (Michael Caton-Jones, 2006) -

Femme Fatale (Brian De Palma, 2002) -

Shinsengumi Chronicles (Kenji Misumi, 1963) -

Audition (Takashi Miike, 1999) -

kiri, kiri, kiri, kiri....

The Crimson Rivers (Mathieu Kassovitz, 2000) -

From Hell (The Hughes Brothers, 2001) -

Cure (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 1997) -

Masterpiece!

Yeah, I think I may actually be overdoing it at this point. Seeing it next to those other ratings is really throwing it into perspective.

Body Bags (1993)

Established horror auteurs gleefully half-ass an anthology. The initial 2 stories (Carpenter’s) are really fun, the 3rd (Hooper’s) drags the whole thing down. Undead Carpenter is a great host.

Farewell, My Lovely (1975)

Decent noir throwback tone (a bit of a caricature), and a well told story (albeit with an obvious and hokey twist ending).

Bitter Moon (1992) -

I guess it’s hard to pull off a story with intentionally repulsive leads. I really wasn’t absorbed by the sex appeal, and I think that too much time was devoted to the flashback developments. There’s something about it that I liked though.

Timecrimes (2007)

An entertaining time travel clusterf*ck. The setting and direction seemed pretty unambitious though.

The Skin I Live In (2011)

A rich feeling narrative despite really discomforting subject matter, and the revelations actually added to the intrigue. It did drag a bit for me, but it’s great for those with somewhat strong stomachs.

July (ii):

+
Warrior (Gavin O'Connor, 2011)

Blood Ties (Guillaume Canet, 2013)
Captain Phillips (Paul Greengrass, 2013)

+
Borstal Boy (Peter Sheridan, 2000)
Jack Reacher (Christopher McQuarrie, 2012)

Europa Report (Sebastián Cordero, 2013)

+
Experimenter (Michael Almereyda, 2015)

+
Good People (Henrik Ruben Genz, 2014)

+
The Bling Ring (Sofia Coppola 2013)

Machete Kills (Robert Rodriguez, 2013)

The Bay (Barry Levinson, 2012)

Powder Room (M.J. Delaney, 2013)

In the Beginning...
Frozen (Buck/Lee, 2013)

Genuinely funny and inventive. Classic Disney with all the right updates.

Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017)

Better than I expected, but still pretty lazy. Surprisingly gory too, given previous entries. Overall, a head-scratcher.

American Fable (Hamilton, 2016)

Beautifully shot with standout performances by Kennedy and Schiff. Sadly goes off the rails in the third act, but there's a lot to like from this debut director.

Prometheus (Scott, 2012)

Much more sensible and cohesive than Covenant with better performances and more iconic scenes.

A system of cells interlinked
Spider-Man : Homecoming

2017, Watts

Fun and entertaining, but I wasn't over the moon for it. Another marvel movie that lacks any true style. It hit all the required marks in a sort of workmanlike way. The lead was well cast and was perhaps the best Peter Parker of the lot so far. The fact that we have a lot to choose from is perhaps a subject/problem for another discussion. A couple of head-scratching bits with regards to slavery that I felt didn't need to be addressed in a spider-man movie, especially since the accuracy of such claims doesn't seem to hold up when researched a bit. Anyway, it was a fun distraction for an afternoon, but not especially memorable or groundbreaking in any way.

Hacksaw Ridge

2016, Gibson

This was really well directed. Gibson certainly had a handle on his material here. Some pretty visceral battle scenes, which I guess are to be expected in today's day and age. Garfield does a fine job as the lead, playing a combat medic pacifist in the army in World War II. Well played across the board.

July 2017 watches

Rewatches are highlighted in blue

July 1 - The Avengers (Joss Whedon; 2012) -

July 3 - Wild at Heart (David Lynch; 1990) -

July 6 - Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater; 1995) -

July 8 - Before Sunset (Richard Linklater; 2004) -

July 9 - Before Midnight (Richard Linklater; 2013) -

July 10 - Larry David: Curb Your Enthusiasm (Robert B. Weide; 1999) -

July 11 - Dredd (Pete Travis; 2012) -

July 12 - Jaws (Steven Spielberg; 1975) -

July 13 - Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman; 2008) -

July 14 - Pi (Darren Aronofsky; 1998) -

July 15 - Barton Fink (Coen brothers; 1991) -

July 15 - Robocop (Paul Verhoeven; 1987) -

July 16 - Speed (Jan de Bont; 1994) -

July 17 - Anomalisa (Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson; 2015) -

July 18 - Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze; 1999) -

July 20 - Adaptation. (Spike Jonze; 2002) -

July 21 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry; 2004) -

July 22 - Where the Wild Things Are (Spike Jonze; 2009) -

July 23 - Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg; 2012) -

July 23 - Capote (Bennett Miller; 2005) -

July 23 - Lost Highway (David Lynch; 1997) -

July 25 - Gangs of New York (Martin Scorsese; 2002) -

July 25 - Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese; 1990) -

July 27 - The Gift (Joel Edgerton; 2015) -

July 31 - Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach; 2012) -

Total: 25
2017 total 140

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.