Plot Twists

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Oldboy. Oldboy demolished me, but it isn't an outta nowhere twist, I'm not even sure you could call it a twist...it is more like a kick in the face that feels incredibly good.

Originally Posted by Sedai
The Sixth Sense
Vertigo
The Usual Suspects (my favorite by far)
Frailty
Shattered (although the lead man is a TOOL)

RE Apes: I loved this ending! Walking out of the theatre not liking it at all, like most I guess. Then some friends of mine and I sat and chatted about it and came up with this....

The time storm is the key. There is no rhyme or reason as to how it propells objects out of itself and through time. So the film has a certain amount to do with randomness. For example, The objects enter the storm in this order...

Monkey, Marky the monkey man, Oberon

This sets the audience up with some sort of time sequence as to how the objects will travel through time, every time. This is totally erroneous as the objects do NOT arrive in this order. The ship arrives centuries earlier than Marky and the monkey arrives after Marky. This right here shows us that the storm is erratic and unpredictable. So, there will be no saying this should have arrived at this time and this should have come here, because the storm is random.

Ok, that out of the way, watch carefully the end of the film when Limbo (slave trader), steals an item from the ship Marky is about to take. What is it? What could it have been? The ships flight manual perhaps? Schematic included mayhap? Who knows, but it could have contained some information about the ship and space travel.

At one point in the film, someone is talking about the Oberon and says that the Oberon has stored all the broadcasts from earth and stored them since in service. Was this an automated system? was it still operational for a while after the oberon went through time? Could someone, perhaps an intelligent ape general trapped RIGHT NEXT to the computer for an extended period of time have gained access to all these recordings, totally absorbing and becoming obsessed with the culture he saw in these recordings? Perhaps gaining enough knowledge during this time of our govt structure, or architecture and our modes of travel? Then finally getting out, recovering the ship (I mean 50 apes with a few strong ropes could pull that little toy ship out of the water), and using it's shell to get an operational ship going to get out into the time storm which, since it's so erratic, might throw him farther back than Monkey Mark to either infiltrate earth at an earlier time (unlikely) OR rebuild his own planet into a likeness of earth (what I think really happened) and establish a somewhat similar society of apes, now modelled after earth because of the knowledge gained from the oberon (which probably spawned the initial ape race on the planet when it went WAY back in time). Remember, there were some anxious apes on the Oberon when it entered the cloud, and they got out. This was the start of the primitive ape race on the planet, which was then reshaped and molded by Thade after the ancestor monkeys evolved to his current state. The old relic gun reinforces this theory quite well.

So by transporting INFORMATION through time, a number of times, and coupled with the experiments on the intelligence of primates (a caveat maybe?), humans create their own demise or overthrowing as a race. The tests on the monkeys can explain accelerated evolution as well.

There is more to this film, and I like thinking about the cool scenarios that you can apply. There will always be room for paradox, this is time travel, but it's not an incomprehensible mess to be sure.

Nice theroy but totally false and wrong...

Thade being trapped in the room did not allow him to gain any info on how to get the ship re-built and so on. The ape taking an object from the pod did not change anything either

The human astronaut guy that landed there(Forgot his charater name) did not go on another planet, It was earth the whole time just in differnt times

To simplify,

Astronaut goes out to find his monkey, He goes in the past to learn that the planet(earth) is over-run by apes, His ship then set off to find him..Again the wormhole being random went even further back in time..The monkeys,Apes that was being stored in the mother ship was experimented on was caused to be smarter, They went wild and escaped from the ship..Over time the evolved into what the Astronaut faces when he landed there. At the end he got in his pod and went back to earth..Not knowing that WAS earth but far in the past, When he went to the wormhole it took him into the furture which was the prescent day for him and come to find out he was on earth the whole time and the Apes were once again control of the earth after seeing Abraham Lincoln's statue but with Thades face. In conclusion Thade did what he wanted to make sure humans were put in their place and it all started simply by his mother ship going far back in time causing Earth to be runned by Apes in the past, Present and Furture

total recall is such a good film but you cant beat infernal affairs, a HK movie, im not the only one who thinks this either there was this movie discussion about whats the best hollywood or asian cinema.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by echo
total recall is such a good film but you cant beat infernal affairs, a HK movie, im not the only one who thinks this either there was this movie discussion about whats the best hollywood or asian cinema.

I enjoy quite a bit of asain cinema, and own a fair amount on DVD, but there are plenty of American and European films that also like. In the horror genre, you just may be right about asian being on top right now, but as for other genres of film, it just isn't the case from what I have seen.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
As much as I enjoy Asian cinema, I don't think it can hold a candle to American fare. Asia, especially South Korea, is producing ALOT of damn fine films, but at the same time so is America.

The reason I think people believe that Asian cinema is vastly better than American is because someone sees one good movie, such as Infernal Affairs, and thinks it is the best damn movie ever made and that it somehow embodies and represents all of Asian cinema. That isn't the case though. Us westerners pick up on maybe 1 out of 10 Asian films...what about the rest? It's the mentality that because one is so damn good, the rest have to be, which just isn't the case....

I love me the hell out of Asian flicks, but I'll take my standard American Fare anyday. Oldboy knocked me on my ass, but I'd recommend Mean Creek to anyone over it any day.

So many good movies, so little time.
Just saw Diabolique(1955) for the first time.

I was clueless. Great plot twist.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Alfred Hitchcock's idea of surprise and suspence, the difference.
Suspence: The audience knows the bomb is under the table while the characters don't.
Surprise: The audience and characters both experience the knowledge of the bomb under the table at the same time. Boom.

The Usual Suspects, when you're surprised to find the gimp is the killer.

KIDS, when the girl gets diagnosed with AIDS and the guy she slept with is going to have sex with another girl, suspense. I consider it a twist mainly because it was unexpected considering she only slept with one guy while her friends slept with many.

KIDS is a good movie, Bully is not.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally Posted by uconjack
Just saw Diabolique(1955) for the first time.

I was clueless. Great plot twist.
That movie kind of actually has two towards the end. Of course the main one with discovering the truth of what really happened and then that little bit at the very end with the lieing child, who as it turns out wasn't such a lier afterall.

Yeah a great movie.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I remember really enjoying the Wild Things twists in the theater.

Appleseed has great graphics! A fun movie experience!

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by animefan21
Appleseed has great graphics! A fun movie experience!

And this has what to do with plot twists?