Best Dicaprio Performance?

Tools    

What is your favorite Leonardo Dicaprio performance of all time? In my opinion it's got to be What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Some people who had never seen Dicaprio act before actually thought that he was mentally challenged. I also liked him in The Wolf of Wall Street, but I prefer him in What's Eating Gilbert Grape because of how convincing he was.

I agree best skills show in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", but he hasn't bad roles

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't think his performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape was anything amazing, I mean, it was fine for what it was, but I don't hold it as an applicable combatant to some of the other films that he has participated in. I think that I am going to have to say The Aviator as his best-performance. I believe that his character in Django Unchained was the best character that he has ever portrayed, because of how naturally cruel it came off, and I believe that The Departed is a better movie than The Aviator, however, I think The Aviator might be the best performance from him.

I thought he was actually disabled in WEGG. Haven't seen it for ages though so can't say if it was his best performance.

I actually think The Wolf of Wall Street is his best. Not his best film but definitely his best performance. He does it all in that movie and I was really impressed with his comedic talents.

His best movies (rather than performance) are (only including those I've actually given a rating to):

1. Django Unchained

2. The Departed

3. The Wolf of Wall Street

4. Titanic
+
5. Inception

Worst:

The Beach

He's had a very solid career so far.

My two favorite performances of his are in Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street. The former one probably still is my favorite, because it was just so eccentrically cool and entertaining to watch.

I would say The Aviator was his best, he was ok in Blood Diamond as well pulled off the accent pretty well.

Haven't seen all of his movies, but my favourite of his performances is in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. It was a very believable performance.

Tough call.

Arnie Grape was a fantastic role and he really showed early on that he was someone of considerable skill, but I don't know that it was his best. I think the one that got me the most emotionally was Catch Me If You Can so I'd probably have to go with that, but The Departed, Blood Diamond, Shutter Island, The Wolf of Wall Street and Django Unchained are all strong contenders.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I'd say Gilbert Grape and the Departed, but still haven't seen Wolf of Wall St. yet, looks promising though

Ghost In The Machine
The diversity of opinions here just goes to show how well Leonardo Dicaprio's career is progressing. I loved him in The Aviator and The Wolf of Wall Street, but seeing his performance in Django Unchained was the moment I realised he is now rightly established as the new king of Hollywood.

I can honestly see him in a few years bringing to the screen the same sort of gravitas you would equate with Burl Ives in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or Orson Welles in Citizen Kane

i should preface this by saying I have not seen SHUTTER ISLAND, DJANGO UNCHAINED or THE WOLF OF WALL STREET and I can narrow it down to three. My three favorite Dicaprio performances:

The Departed

Catch Me If You Can

The Basketball Diairies

Since I posted this, I have seen Django Unchained and I would place it ahead of The Basketball Diairies

This Boy's Life is well worth a mention, he's excellent opposite De Niro - which is probably one of De Niro's final great performances.

I have 'challenged' folk in my family and I have to say that DiCaprio's portrayal (What's Eating Gilbert Grape) was very honest and compelling. There are several scenes where Arnie seems to be daydreaming and working things out in his mind. These struck me as very accurate, having been exposed to these behaviors for most of my life.

Also, having read The Beach (beautiful book), I can't lay the fault at DiCaprio's feet. He did well with what he had to work with IMO.

As for favorite performance, it's difficult to say. I really like him as an actor. Among the top ones I've seen, (and have been compelled to re-watch) I'd pick his portrayal of Tobias Wolff in This Boy's Life, King Louis in The Man in the Iron Mask and Billy in The Departed.

I'm going with What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Ill go with Gilbert Grape. He was acting more purely then, and wasnt a star. He's done great in many films, and Catch Me If You Can comes to mind. He owned that movie.

1. The Departed
2. Blood Diamond

Welcome to the human race...
I don't think Di Caprio is especially great in general, but I watched Blood Diamond for the first time a few weeks ago and that movie made me understand the hype more than any other performance I've seen from him in recent years. I'd also name [i}What's Eating Gilbert Grape[/i] but that's almost too easy, it's probably the only instance I can think of where Di Caprio really disappeared into a role.