Bigger hit? (Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo or 40-Year-Old Virgin)

Tools    

Which film will make more $$$ at the box-office?

My money's on Deuce Bigalow. It already has a built-in fan base. I don't think Steve C. can carry a movie on his own. Yet.

Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo looks like the same film as Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo except lamer.

There's the possibility of The 40 Year-Old Virgin surprising me, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Judd Apatow did write for The Larry Sanders Show, and Steve Carell wrote some really funny 'news segments' for The Daily Show, so the promise is there.

I hope it's good for Steve's sake. Who doesn't like him?

Anyway...Deuce Bigalow will smoke The 40 Year-Old for the first week or so, but word of mouth may help Carell and Co. pull off a late surge.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by ipickdaflick
Which film will make more $$$ at the box-office?

My money's on Deuce Bigalow. It already has a built-in fan base. I don't think Steve C. can carry a movie on his own. Yet.
There's only one of the two I'd even consider seeing...and it ain't the Rob Schneider flick. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to go the rest of my life without seeing Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo.

I do like Steve Carell a whole lot and definitely feel like he can "carry" a movie. Plus it was written and directed by Judd Apatow, one of the geniuses behind "Freaks & Geeks" as well as writing for "The Larry Sanders Show" and "The Ben Stiller Show". And I'm madly in love with Catherine Keener. So there are three reasons enough for me to check it out.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin may wind up being pretty laughless and routine, but at least it has a chance of being funny. Cannot say the same thing for Deuce Bigelow 2. At all.

I couldn't give a ***** which makes more money, especially as we live in a world where the two combined won't begin to touch The Dukes of Hazzard's box office totals. It'd be nice for Apatow and company if 40-Year-Old could do some Anchorman-like business this summer, but I don't really expect it to.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
There's only one of the two I'd even consider seeing...and it ain't the Rob Schneider flick. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to go the rest of my life without seeing Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo.

I couldn't give a ***** which makes more money, especially as we live in a world where the two combined won't begin to touch The Dukes of Hazzard's box office totals. It'd be nice for Apatow and company if 40-Year-Old could do some Anchorman-like business this summer, but I don't really expect it to.
That's really funny what you said about the two movies not being able to match DUKES total domestic run! Ha ha ha ha ha ha. I love when people haven't a clue about box-office #'s then make ridiculous statements like that. Dukes ain't nuthin', it's gonna fall apart this weekend. Most likely a STEEP 58% decline. Plus, DEUCE is gonna open at 38 million. Anyway, you'll see after this weekend.

That's really funny what you said about the two movies not being able to match DUKES total domestic run! Ha ha ha ha ha ha. I love when people haven't a clue about box-office #'s then make ridiculous statements like that. Dukes ain't nuthin', it's gonna fall apart this weekend. Most likely a STEEP 58% decline. Plus, DEUCE is gonna open at 38 million. Anyway, you'll see after this weekend.
Yes, would that we were all as smart as you.

The main point is that I don't give a fart how much money a movie makes. The boxoffice results are totally boring to me. My goodness, I know it's fun to talk about percentage drops and per screen averages and pre-marketing budgets and the like, but for some silly reason I focus more on the content and the talent involved.

Again, would that we were all like you...and "Entertainment Tonight".

A system of cells interlinked
Oh ya, Holden, who I believe is in the movie biz, and has dedicated his life to studying film, doesn't know anything about box office numbers.... You're funny. The man has more film knowledge in his sock drawer than most people ever accrue. Oh, wait, is this thread dedicated to yet another lame film starring yet another washed up comedian from SNL-The terrible years? This can go in the same trash bin as It's Pat and Water Boy. But wait!! Before I get flamed, I am just expressing my opinion about this steaming stankpile of garbage that some will call a film. So just hold yer horses there, Deuce fans.

i think it would be 40 year old virgin merely because its unique and fresh.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo looks like the same film as Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo except lamer.
I haven't seen any previews for it (hardly watch TV) but I'm wondering if the giant woman, the enormously fat woman, and the Tourette's syndrome woman are back. Of course, since it's set in Europe, it probably has some French woman with long hairy arm pits that Deuce won't wanna have sex with, am I right?

A system of cells interlinked
Well, the initial reactions are in for both Deuce and the Dukes... On RT the Dukes get a miserable 17% fresh rating from the critics so far. Duece should be able to beat it easily...Oh wait...It didn't. Clocking in at a paltry 10% fresh, the film has one of the lowest ratings I have ever seen on RT. Maybe America is waking up, and the long line of crap from has-been SNL cast members is over....

Yeah, right.

I'm no psychic, but I can tell you Steve Carrell deserves a hit, whereas Schneider deserves to be hit. Preferably hard. And with something blunt.

Still want me to hazzard a guess? Deuce is going to kinda sink at the box office-- nothing terrible (damnit!), but it won't be a cash cow, I can tell you that. It's got a plethora of bad reviews, which takes care of the audience that thinks. And it has an R rating, which takes care of most of the audience that doesn't think.

The 40 Year Old Virgin is getting very good reviews-- a friend from another board told me it was very, very funny. I'm sure it'll go over better than Bigalow will. Then again, 90 minutes of a dog licking itself deserves to perform better than anything Schneider related. He's the evil genius that gave us the animal.

Plus, if 40YOV doesn't fair well at the ruthless world of BO numbers, there's always DVD sales. And if word of mouth is good, the results will probably show there.

How much money a movie makes does not translate to how good or quality of a movie. I typically boycott summer films, as 90% of the movies are crap. I usually wait till Fall and Winter, which is typically when Oscar candidate films are. Or sometimes I search for the indy films ... those that are not in the big multiplex theatres.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Originally Posted by cutter
How much money a movie makes does not translate to how good or quality of a movie.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

But to answer the question, I think Duece will make more money at the box office but I think The 40 Year Old Virgin will be the better flick. Steve Carell was hilarious in Anchorman. "I love lamp". Classic

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. I love when people haven't a clue about box-office #'s then make ridiculous statements like that. Dukes ain't nuthin', it's gonna fall apart this weekend. Most likely a STEEP 58% decline. Plus, DEUCE is gonna open at 38 million. Anyway, you'll see after this weekend.
Yeah, we'll see you on Monday.

By the by, the Friday numbers have Dukes at $4.3-million and Deuce at $3.25-million for the day. Compare that to the $12.6-million Dukes opened with last Friday, on its way to a $30-million opening weekend. Deuce may not even hit $10-million, much less the pie-in-the-sky fantasy of $38-million you called. What expertise. I am in awe. Four Brothers is going to be number one, Skeleton Key number two and Deuce may finish as low as fifth behind not only them Duke boys but also Wedding Crashers entering its second month of release.

So, we'll see you on Monday, Kreskin.

I think 40 year old Virgin will make more, It still has a week to be hyped up for one thing, Duece got rediculously bad reviews, probably the worst i've ever seen, even worse then Alone in the Dark. I also honestly believe the whole toilet humor thing is dying out, It's just not funny anymore. I have never seen Duece Bigalow nor do I ever want to see it, Movies like that require zero talent in any aspect, its just a cheap disgusting way to try to get laughs and money, and it won't work this time Mr. Schnider.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The first Deuce had its silly moments, but every ad I've seen for European Gigolo looks like the exact same movie, only with croissants this time. Pleh.

Originally Posted by Sedai
The man has more film knowledge in his sock drawer than most people ever accrue.
Wow, that's not *exactly* what I would have guessed Holden had in his sock drawer, but ... ummm ... okay....

I think Ebert has lost his taste in many regards and I find the TV show infuriatingly dull, but the man can still write a great bad review. Here are his thoughts on Deuce 2...

"Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" makes a living cleaning fish tanks and occasionally prostituting himself. How much he charges I'm not sure, but the price is worth it if it keeps him off the streets and out of another movie. "Deuce Bigalow" is aggressively bad, as if it wants to cause suffering to the audience. The best thing about it is that it runs for only 75 minutes.

Rob Schneider is back, playing a male prostitute (or, as the movie reminds us dozens of times, a "man whore"). He is not a gay hustler, but specializes in pleasuring women, although the movie's closest thing to a sex scene is when he wears diapers on orders from a giantess. Oh, and he goes to dinner with a woman with a laryngectomy, who sprays wine on him through her neck vent.

The plot: Deuce visits his friend T.J. Hicks (Eddie Griffin) in Amsterdam, where T.J. is a pimp specializing in man-whores. Business is bad, because a serial killer is murdering male prostitutes, and so Deuce acts as a decoy to entrap the killer. In his investigation he encounters a woman with a penis for a nose. You don't want to know what happens when she sneezes.

Does this sound like a movie you want to see? It sounds to me like a movie that Columbia Pictures and the film's producers (Glenn S. Gainor, Jack Giarraputo, Tom McNulty, Nathan Talbert Reimann, Adam Sandler and John Schneider) should be discussing in long, sad conversations with their inner child.

The movie created a spot of controversy last February. According to a story by Larry Carroll of MTV News, Rob Schneider took offense when Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times listed this year's Best Picture Nominees and wrote that they were "ignored, unloved and turned down flat by most of the same studios that ... bankroll hundreds of sequels, including a follow-up to 'Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo,' a film that was sadly overlooked at Oscar time because apparently nobody had the foresight to invent a category for Best Running Penis Joke Delivered by a Third-Rate Comic."

Schneider retaliated by attacking Goldstein in full-page ads in Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. In an open letter to Goldstein, Schneider wrote: "Well, Mr. Goldstein, I decided to do some research to find out what awards you have won. I went online and found that you have won nothing. Absolutely nothing. No journalistic awards of any kind ... Maybe you didn't win a Pulitzer Prize because they haven't invented a category for Best Third-Rate, Unfunny Pompous Reporter Who's Never Been Acknowledged by His Peers."

Reading this, I was about to observe that Schneider can dish it out but he can't take it. Then I found he's not so good at dishing it out, either. I went online and found that Patrick Goldstein has won a National Headliner Award, a Los Angeles Press Club Award, a RockCritics.com award, and the Publicists' Guild award for lifetime achievement.

Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks.

But Schneider is correct, and Patrick Goldstein has not yet won a Pulitzer Prize. Therefore, Goldstein is not qualified to complain that Columbia financed "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" while passing on the opportunity to participate in "Million Dollar Baby," "Ray," "The Aviator," "Sideways" and "Finding Neverland." As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks.

- by ROGER EBERT / August 12, 2005
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../50725001/1001

And for the record, I have both socks and underwear in my sock drawer.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
That last line actually made me laugh out loud. Say what you want about Roger Ebert but I like him. IMO he has good taste, but is not too elitist to appreciate movies that are just entertaining. As far as I've seen, his opinion is easiest for the common people to relate to. he doesn't like bad movies, but you don't have to be a film snob to agree with him.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I agree. I've always enjoyed Ebert and his way of making mincemeat of bad movies. This review is probably a hundred times funnier than the movie.

Then again, so is nail fungus.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I'm madly in love with Catherine Keener.
Yum. So am I. I love her playing "Uber-Bitch" Maxine in Being John Malkovich. I just want her to slap me.

The other debut in wide release, the gross-out sequel "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo," finished a distant fifth with $9.4 million.

"Deuce Bigalow," starring Rob Schneider, did worse than the first film, which opened with $12.2 million in 1999.
I wonder if ipickdaflick will show up in this thread again?