Music-wise, What's Your Latest Discovery?

Tools    

I'm pretty high on a song called All This Time by Heartless Bastards right now. Sounds 25 years old, but it's from 2006. The lead singer's kinda got a Joan Jett with a hint of Karen Carpenter thing going on. At least, to my ear.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'm pretty high on a song called All This Time by Heartless Bastards right now. Sounds 25 years old, but it's from 2006. The lead singer's kinda got a Joan Jett with a hint of Karen Carpenter thing going on. At least, to my ear.
I'm noticing this trend lately where you can't quite tell if songs are new or from the 80's. Which, given my love of the 80's, is making me very happy. It's the thing I like about Ok Go - they're classic, melodic rock and roll.

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
Recently just started to listen to Miles Davis, more of his improv and fusion work, and I must say Miles Davis has to be one of the best jazz player of all-time.Bitches Brew is in my eyes, a great improv cd that has influenced many artist nowadays like the Mars Volta, etc.So anyone who is into jazz and has never listen to Miles Davis I recommend you do so.

I'm noticing this trend lately where you can't quite tell if songs are new or from the 80's. Which, given my love of the 80's, is making me very happy. It's the thing I like about Ok Go - they're classic, melodic rock and roll.
And they make the coolest videos on the planet....

You ready? You look ready.
Witch's Hat (Thanks to OG-)
Gallows
Tiger Army
Parkway Drive
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I am having a nervous breakdance
I just got home from a Guitar Hero II session and there was this great Sabbath smelling song called "Freya" with a band called The Sword. Good one... I'd never heard about them before.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Not really a new discovery, but got new appreciation for KoRn, quite random. Rap Sessions is a rather massif album.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've got to admit... this made today rapturous. It's a very wrong thing tho. (in all the right ways ).

Generally too much genuinely bastard-good stuff has been flooding my ears recently. All i can say is...

To be on topic-ish.. this Cook & Moore dalliance was an equally-silly filmic tongue-in-cheek treat from today.

These two definitely hit the right ripple-spot in the electro pond for me on a working-saturday

I just love these songs at the moment:
Total Stereo - I Love You, Ono
Eloise Trio - Cocoanut Woman
Miho Hatori - Barracuda

And so much more. And i have to go to work far too soon on a creaky bus and listen to more. And I'm listening to a song by my mate called Late Again that kicks ****ing ass. But you can't hear that

(and i just watched training day. the music was nothing to write home about )

there's a frog in my snake oil
Shhhhh, it had Denzel in it.

If only it'd had more reptiles it coulda been alright

Common fault of modern cinema that - the omission of war-like reptiles

Should I call you Logan, Weapon X?
Blonde Redhead
Hot Young Priest
Ultra Baby Fat
Jurassic 5
Autour de Lucie
Silverchair
Tigers and Monkeys

All found through websites such as pandora and music map

I've been completely obsessed with Of Montreal for the past 10 days. Saw them live even last week. So frakin' addictive.
I've been a fan for about two years now and, while I like them quite a bit, I'm still scratching my head over how inconsistent they are. It often feels like a coin flip as to whether or not I'll like a given song of theirs. Some of it is just noise.

Also, I was pretty shocked when I heard a re-written version of "Wraith Pinned To The Mist And Other Games" in an Outbeak Steakhouse commercial. I'm not the type to give bands grief for "selling out" -- I think endorsements and the like are a perfectly reasonable thing -- but Of Montreal is about the last band in the world I would have expected to do something like that.

Anyway, the album art is pretty, if nothing else, but they're not the type of band whose albums I'd listen to straight through. Prime pick-and-choose material.

I've been a fan for about two years now and, while I like them quite a bit, I'm still scratching my head over how inconsistent they are. It often feels like a coin flip as to whether or not I'll like a given song of theirs. Some of it is just noise.

Also, I was pretty shocked when I heard a re-written version of "Wraith Pinned To The Mist And Other Games" in an Outbeak Steakhouse commercial. I'm not the type to give bands grief for "selling out" -- I think endorsements and the like are a perfectly reasonable thing -- but Of Montreal is about the last band in the world I would have expected to do something like that.

Anyway, the album art is pretty, if nothing else, but they're not the type of band whose albums I'd listen to straight through. Prime pick-and-choose material.
Aye. I wouldn't exactly say they're inconsistent, that's just the type of music they make. The structure of the songs is almost progressive (as far as pop can be anyway), it's completely non-linear, a lot of the times it feels like they mixed up 5-6 songs into one. On some cases they make perfect pop songs, on others they experiment. I've learned to like it all, I think it just takes a while to get used to it. For me, it's enough that a particular song has even a 10 second part that's good for me to love it. And they've managed to achieve that in every single song.

I think they're getting better with each album, quite a feat seeing as how they've been around quite a while. They struck a particular cord with me with the infusion of electro on the last two albums.

As far as selling out, I don't mind that at all. It's just another way of making their music more accessible to the masses (that aren't exactly into indie). You should've seen the crowd they were performing for in Croatia, there couldn't have been more than 150 people there. I was right next to the (improvised) dressing room the size of a medium bathroom where they prepared for the gig (and this band is considered one of the best indie-pop bands in the world). So yeah, I don't think they sold out...I just think they don't care much, as well they shouldn't.

Awesome, awesome band. The party's crashing us now is the best pop song I've heard...possibly ever....