Behind Enemy Lines

there's a lot more...but I'm in class right now
and these are not in any particular order

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
Saving Private Ryan
The Lord of the Rings (all)
Troy
The Last Samurai

Hamburger Hill, while not widely recognized, is probably my favorite war movie.

I have to return some videotapes.
Can't think of any movie that has not been mentioned in the last 6 pages but, Top Gun comes to mind. I realize what a stretch it is to consider it a 'war' movie but the squad does end up in a combat situation. Plus, you know the inevitably crappy sequel would have been a 'war' movie.

Can someone explain to me why The Thin Red Line keeps popping up on this list? I have seen it a few times and just can’t appreciate it.
I agree--"The Thin Red Line" isn't a very good film, especially since we have a good example of what it could have been. It was based on the second of author James Jones trilogy of books about soldiers during World War II. His original plan was to follow the same 3-4 soldiers from before the war, during the war, and then as wounded veterans after the war. But he kept killing some of them off in his books. Yet although the names change, the three main characters in each of books are basically the same personae.

The first and best seller of the three books was "From Here to Eternity," and we know it made a fine war movie. Jones was in the US Army 1939-1944, rising through the ranks to sergeant. He was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese atacked and was wounded on Guadacanal, where he got the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. He also boxed as a welterweight in the Golden Gloves, so he was writing each book from experience.

The script for "Eternity" was written by Daniel Taradash, also a veteran of the pre-Pearl Harbor regular Army. After he cleaned up the storyline--eliminating references to male and female prostitution; softening the stockade brutality, and having the Army punish Capt. Holmes (rather than promoting him as in the book)--the Army withdrew its objections and provided officers as technical advisors, the use of Schofield Barracks in Hawaii, and real soldiers as extras. So when you see soldiers marching and drilling and policing the grounds in "Eternity," you're watching the real McCoy doing it the way it's supposed to be done --and at the very site where it happened. Director Fred Zinnemann insisted on shooting in black and white, claiming "color would have made it look trivial." He also refused to use any of the new widescreen formats. (Zinnemann also filmed another great black-and-white war movie, "The Men," one of the few films that focused on wounded veterans.)

By comparision, the director of "The Thin Red Line" also wrote that screenplay. I didn't get the feeling that he or any of the cast knew the first thing about being a combat infantryman. (Let me give you an example of what I mean--in the patrol and battle scenes of "The Big Red 1," Lee Marvin who was a real Marine during WWII, carries his rifle like a weapon; the rest of the kids in his squad, none of whom were ever in the Army, carry theirs like movie props.)

So here you have two films based on the ideas and concepts of the same novelist; one ranks among the best 100 movies ever made because the movie crew took the time and effort to do it right, and the other is just a forgetable also-ran.

A system of cells interlinked
Clearly, you aren't a fan of Malick, in general. The Thin Red Line is one of the best war films, ever. Combat Infantryman? I don't think Malick was interested in such small trivial things as how someone carries a weapon. The film is about human nature, chaos vs order, and other, much deeper and more philospohical concepts. I mean, who cares if the soldiers march accurately? When considering the nature of good and evil, and why people do some of the terrible things they do, rank lines and proper weapon etiquette just don't qualify as important, to me.

Malick's brilliant, painterly style is concerned with much more important and far reaching concepts. The Thin Red Line is a difficult film, for many reasons, and I see why some folks can't get into Malick's languid pacing, but, to call it a bad film because cats aren't holding their weapons a certain way seems somewhat myopic to me.

Malick, clearly an auteur, used material from the novel of the same title as his film, but it is entirely Malick's interpretation of the material, and a damn fine one, at that. One of the best war films ever made, IMO. Well played, staggeringly beautiful to look at, and well played across the board.

Just tryng to understand your point. Should films concerning space exploration be helmed by actors that have actually gone into space? I mean, I get what you are saying about experience, and I enjoy reading stuff like Conrad, because he writes about events that are inspired by actual experience, but I don't think real world experience is a necessary referent for creating art.

You speak about what the film 'could' have been, but then you list an example from a diametrically opposed medium, comparing the objective to the subjective. Disparity between the two mediums in unavoidable, so why bother?

Take The Shining as another example. I liked the book, I loved the film. When compared, gaping holes quickly emerge in both works, that could be construed as "problems", but they both nail the material they are concerned with, in very different ways. So, when compared, they falter, but, considered individually, they both work on their own merits. Not having read The Thin Red Line, I can't accurately comment on the disparities, but, I Can accurately comment on weather or not the film works on it's own merits. I think it works. It did take a couple of viewings to warm up to, I will say that, but, all of Malick's films took time for me to get into... like a fine wine.

Anyway.... Great post, and welcome to the boards...

Best war movies (in no particular order)

The Red Badge of Courage – Probably the best film ever to depict the “fog of war,” the mass confusion and chaos of battle in which some run, some cower, some die, and some just so get so mad that they forget the danger and become heroes. (In one scene, two units razz each other for missing out on the “real fighting,” which each thinks occurred in their assigned area.) Real-life war hero Audie Murphy plays The Young Soldier (the film sticks with the book’s “any-man” approach by not giving the characters names) who first disgraces and then redeems himself. Oddly enough, this 1951 film based on a classic book, is more realistic than the 1955 movie based on Murphy’s own biographical best seller, “To Hell and Back.” The latter film looked so unrealistically spick-and-span to me, while Murphy’s book has the real grit and blood of a foot-soldier. Characters introduced on one page die horribly five pages later.

A Walk in the Sun – This 1945 film starring Dana Andrews, Richard Conte, Lloyd Bridges, rivals “The Red Badge of Courage” in its depiction of the confusion of combat. This is just a green US Army infantry platoon having made an amphibious landing in enemy territory (somewhere in Europe, Italy I think) that then sets out on a march to its assigned target. Along the way, there’s confusion over maps, breakdowns, unplanned encounters with friendly and enemy troops, and finally a deadly assault up and over a garden wall followed by a dead run in the open toward German machineguns in the ruins of a house. Lots of sweat and fear.

The Hill—A 1965 British film starring Sean Connery, Ossie Davis, and a cast of great British character actors portraying British prisoners and guards in a British disciplinary camp in the Libyan dessert during WWII. This is what it’s all about in every army—instilling discipline from the top down and the too-frequent abuse of power in the process.

The DI--A similar but less harsh film about military training and discipline made in B&W in the 1950s in which Jack Webb played a peacetime Marine drill instructor just as tough and with sharper creases in his uniform than Lee Ermey.

The Men—The script for this movie is what got Marlon Brando to leave the New York stage and finally go to Hollywood. The only combat is in the opening scene in which Brando is shot in the back by a sniper. The rest of the film is about him and Jack Webb and other guys trying to cope in a stateside Army hospital war for paraplegics. One of very few movies ever made about US casualties of war. Filmed in B&W and directed by Fred Zinnemann, who also directed the following great war film:

From Here to Eternity—This 1953 film is the closest you can get to the Regular Army without being in uniform. Special treat—Merle Travis, the soldier with the guitar; one of the most influential pickers in country music. He also wrote the hit song, “16 Tons.”
For more movie details, see post 105 above.

The Steel Helmet—A Korean War story filmed in 1951 that opens with Gene Evans regaining consciousness as the sole survivor among a bunch of GIs who were captured and shot their Korean or Chinese enemy. Evans ain’t pretty, but he sure looks like a rifleman who’s been in the field too long.

Halls of Montezuma (1950) – Great cast: Richard Widmark, Jack Palance, Jack Webb, Robert Wagner, Karl Malden, Neville Brand, Reginald Gardiner.

12 O’Clock High (1949) – The definitive WWII Army Air Force film. Gregory Peck and a great cast (how often do you get to see Dean Jagger in a war movie!) Lots of real combat shots of bombers and fighters. (I once got a chance to swing up through the nose opening of a B-17 like Peck and the others do so gracefully in this film. Had a heck of time getting my fat butt through there and lost everything I had in my pockets!)

Captain Newman, MD—1963 film starring Gregory Peck and Angie Dickinson, based on a really good book by the same name. Peck plays the title character in charge of the psychiatric ward at an Army Air Force hospital in New Mexico during WWII. Among his patients, a young Robert Duvall in a small but juicy role as a traumatized pilot who has lost his speech. Real WWII hero Eddie Albert combines what were two very different characters in the book and comes up with an unforgettable performance. Bobby Darin deservedly was nominated for best supporting actor Oscar for his role as a troubled gunner. Tony Curtis provides comic relief.

Attack! (1956)—Another great role for Eddie Albert, this time playing a National Guard company commander in Europe whose cowardice is getting his men killed. Lee Marvin is his commanding colonel keeping Albert in command to satisfy his politically influential father back in the states. Jack Palance plays a subordinate lieutenant who threatens to kill Albert if he fails again. Other cast members include Robert Strauss, Buddy Epsen, Richard Jaeckel, Strother Martin.

Pork Chop Hill (1959)—Another great cast: Gregory Peck, Harry Guardino, Rip Torn, George Peppard, Woody Strode, Norman Fell, Martin Landau, Bob Steele, Gavin MacLeod, Robert Blake, Harry Dean Stanton. And another great depiction of the confusion, horror, and unknowns of battle.

Between Heaven and Hell—An odd little 1956 film that opens with former Sgt. Robert Wagner in an Army stockade pen in the Pacific facing court martial charges for trying to kill his lieutenant and former best friend. Because Wagner is also a war hero, his commanding officer instead assigns him to a remote rifle company commanded by a very odd if not half-mad Broderick Crawford. (Personally, I’m a fan of Crawford’s chew-the-scenery approach to acting, which may be why I like this film so much. Other cast members, Brad Dexter, Skip Homeier, L.Q. Jones, Frank Gorshin, Buddy Epsen, and Carl 'Alfalfa' Switzer.

Beachhead (1954)—The behind-enemy-lines plot isn’t much, but I’ve always been a Frank Lovejoy fan, so sue me. Also stars Tony Curtis and Skip Homeier.

Retreat Hell—Another Frank Lovejoy war film. This time he’s with the retreating Marines (“Retreat, hell, we’re just advancing in the other direction”) in North Korea.

Battleground (1949)—This is the mama of all Battle of the Bulge movies, with what I think was a first-time-out Oscar-winning role by James Whitmore. Even Van Johnson looks like a tough guy in this one. Other players include Ricardo Montalban, a very young ex-GI James Arness, George Murphy, Marshall Thompson, Don Taylor, Richard Jaeckel, Dewey Martin, Tommy Noonan, Jerry Paris.

Battle Cry (1955)—Forget “Windtalkers;” here’s a real Marine combat communications outfit! James Whitmore apparently was born to play Army sergeants—he’s great in this film, too. Also stars another of my old-time favorites, Van Heflin. What an actor. Aldo Ray is great; Tab Hunter is passable. It’s got greats like Raymond Massey and “say who?” types like Perry Lopez and John Lupton giving fine performances as “Spanish Joe” and Cpl. Marion “Sister Mary” Hotchkiss, respectfully.

On the Beach (1959)—Not your normal “war movie” but everyone is dying from radiation from World War III, so it counts. Took some liberties from Nevil Shute’s original novel, but it has Ava Gardner to look at. Interesting characters.

Excellent list. I have seen some, but, not all of these films. On the Beach sounds interesting, so i am tracking that down to watch soon.

Great recommendations!

Curious, Ruf.

What contemporary war films do you like? Also, Do you tend to like war films that are the more patriotic...I don't want to say "pro" war, but let's say LESS anti-war (as opposed to something like Full Metal Jacket), sort of glorification pictures, or do you just like military subject matter, no matter what the slant...

What contemporary war films do you like? Also, Do you tend to like war films that are the more patriotic...I don't want to say "pro" war, but let's say LESS anti-war (as opposed to something like Full Metal Jacket), sort of glorification pictures, or do you just like military subject matter, no matter what the slant...
Actually, I think "Full Metal Jacket" is probably the best of contemporary war films. I thought it was well made and it even reminded me of some of the guys I encountered in the Army, particularly in basic training. On the other hand, I didn't like MASH, the movie but thought the TV series was great and more realistic than some would believe (I was in a medical unit). Main thing about the movie is that I never cared for Elliott Gould, and Donald Sutherland gets on my nerves after awhile when he's acting silly. Didn't like him in “Kelly's Heroes” but thought he was spot on in “The Eagle Has Landed.”

I was disappointed in “Platoon”—there were some good performances, but I just don’t share Oliver Stone’s view of things. Can’t explain it, but there’s something about his movies that put me off.

I was very, very disappointed in “Saving Pvt. Ryan.” After all the hoopla about realism and about the cast doing weeks of “basic training” get it down right, I was expecting it to knock my socks off. Instead, it seemed like 3 different films to me. One film comprised the first what? 15 minutes? of the Normandy landing. They got the noise level right—couldn’t hear a damn word over all the shot and shell. They cranked up the squirm factor with the visuals of the guys being hit underwater, but the shot of the extra running across the beach with a prop arm looked like an extra carrying a prop arm.

The second part comes when Tom Hanks’ supposedly veteran team of Army rangers are sent out to look for Ryan. I hate it when movies distract me with some out-of-place puzzle, and I haven’t to this day figured out the motivation for sending the inexperienced bilingual company clerk along with them. I mean, what’s this guy going to do—ask the French and Germans if they’ve seen Pvt. Ryan? This character has no reason for being there and nothing to do through most of the picture.

The third movie kicks in when they find Ryan and he refuses to leave his airborne buddies, so they all dig in for the coming German attack. This has the one great scene in the whole movie, the hand-to-hand combat scene where the German ends up slowly shoving his knife into the American, telling him “sleep, sleep” while the American begs, “no, no.” Now that’s a really uncomfortable, haunting scene, but it’s well played. It then is followed by the dumbest scene in the movie—where the German walks down stairs and past the coward. I can understand the guy being too scared to come to a comrade’s rescue in the fight at the top of the stairs. But for all he knows when the German starts downstairs, he’s about to be killed, too. No matter how scared you are, you’d start shooting then. Then the dumb German doesn’t kill him, turns his back and walks away. Then later the coward shoots the German after the Nazi surrenders, proving how stupid the German was not to kill him in the first place. And then he repeats the mistake by letting the 3 other Nazis go so they can kill more Americans. So what it comes down to, is that the clerk is carried like a sore thumb through most of the movie just to be a key player in the dumbest scenes of the movie.

There were other things I disliked—for all the supposedly realistic army training the actors supposedly underwent before they started shooting, they all looked like they had never put on a uniform or carried a rifle before. I know I’m in the minority but things like that bug me.

Clearly, you aren't a fan of Malick, in general.
I'm not much of a "fan" of anyone, but I've got nothing personal against Malick. In fact, I thought "Badlands" was very well done. I remember when Charlie Starkweather was making headlines across the nation. Malick really caught the feel of that period. Haven’t seen “Days of Heaven” or “The New World,” so it's 1-1 for me as far as Malick's films go.

that's really interesting.

who cares if the soldiers march accurately? . . . Should films concerning space exploration be helmed by actors that have actually gone into space?

Well, let's explore this premise. We’ve all seen the NASA space shots on TV, and I’ll grant you that Tom Hanks looks as much like a real spaceman in one of those suits as does Jim Lovell. We all know what the space suits for the Apollo missions looked like. But suppose in “Apollo 13” that when Tom Hanks as Jim Lovell starts to enter the space capsule for blastoff, instead of the proper NASA space suit, he’s wearing Darth Vader’s space outfit or one that Buster Crabbe wore in his Flash Gordon serials. We cry, “Wait! That’s not how he’s supposed to look!” And the director replies, “A space suit is a space suit. All that matters is how the actor portrays my concept of this film.”

Or suppose the actor is portraying the captain of a boat crew in the America’s Cup race, but he obviously has no ability to walk on a pitching deck and just staggers and falls. Or it’s a baseball movie, and the actor pitches like Jerry Lewis and can’t even hold a bat properly. Or we see Robert Duval in “Open Range” seated on an English saddle instead of a western rig designed for working cattle. Perhaps closer to the point, the film is about a champion golfer and in the key scene he calls for a certain club and the audience groans and chuckles because every golfer in the theater knows it’s the wrong club for that situation! Or in a film set in the 1930s, the camera pans down the street and there in the middle of the intersection we spot the distinctive lines of a 1957 Chevy.

If you saw something like that in a movie, you’d likely conclude that the producer, director, and cast weren’t taking their work very seriously. Well, I’m that way about movies that feature soldiers who can’t march, can’t salute properly, don’t wear their uniforms correctly, and look like they’ve never before carried a rifle, much less actually fired it. Many people—probably most people—don’t even notice such mistakes. But a lot of people who have served in the military see the mistakes and know that the director and cast are just being sloppy in their work.

I don’t say that only people who have experienced certain things can write about them or act them out. But the people with the experience approach the subject with that extra bit of knowledge that lets them provide the colorful details that makes a film more enjoyable.

A good example is the close-order drill performed by real soldiers in movies like “From Here to Eternity,” “Battleground,” and especially in “Gardens of Stone” about the special unit who participate in military funerals at Arlington. You can’t teach actors how to move like that—it takes hours and hours of drill, day after day, week after week. On the other hand, it wouldn’t have taken Lee Marvin 15 minutes to show the rest of cast how to carry a rifle at combat ready in “The Big Red One.” And in basic training we learned to salute properly in 5 minutes of instruction followed by one good butt-chewing per man the first time we fuzzed up.

Hamburger Hill
http://www.clearvisionstudios.com

Here's some other good war movies:

Writer-director Preston Sturges did two of the most offbeat and fall-down funniest homefront movies of WWII, “Hail the Conquering Hero” and “The Miracle of Morgan's Creek." Both released in 1944 and both starring Eddie Bracken as a 4-F reject. In “Hail the Conquering Hero,” Bracken plays Woodrow Lafayette Pershing Truesmith, the son of a Marine hero killed in the first world war. The hometown gives him a big send-off as he leaves to join the Marines in WWII, only to be washed out because of his hayfever. Ashamed to go home, Bracken gets a buddy in service to mail letters to his mom from overseas and he goes to work in a California ship factory. He’s having a beer one night after work when 4 broke Marines wander in. Bracken stands them to drinks and learns that the leader of the group, William Demarest as Sgt. Heppelfinger, served with his dad and was there when he died at the same moment Woodrow Lafayette Pershing Truesmith was being born back in the states. One of the Marines is an orphan with a mother complex, and when he learns Bracken hasn’t talked to Mom for over a year, calls her long-distance from a phone booth, then puts Eddie on the line. The Marines hatch a plot to take Eddie home as one of them. He's to get off the train in a borrowed uniform, goes home with mom to recover from a phony debilitating illness, and sit out the rest of the war. Of course, things don’t go that well, starting when the town comes to the station with four brass bands to welcome the returning hero.

“Miracle of Morgan's Creek” may be Betty Hutton’s only film in which she did not sing. Instead, she plays Trudy Kockenlocker, a small-town girl with a soft spot for war-bound GIs. One night she and her girlfriends are out with a bunch of soldiers due to ship out, and she accidentally bumps her head. The next morning she wakes up with a headache and a vague suspicion she may have married someone, but she doesn’t know who. A few weeks later she gets a worse surprise—she’s pregnant with no husband to show for it. Bracken plays the 4-F local boy who has always loved Trudy and tries to go through another marriage ceremony so she’ll at least have a marriage certificate. Too bad he forgot at the last moment to sign the certificate with the phony name. He winds up under arrest by Trudy’s pop, the local police chief played by Demarest. The ending of this mess is a hoot!

I mentioned before “The Men” a film about wounded GIs after the war. Another great film about men wounded in battle is “Bright Victory” (1951), in which Arthur Kennedy plays a soldier blinded by a German sniper in North Africa. During treatment and rehabilitation, he becomes buddies with another blind soldier, James Edwards. But it’s not until he makes a racist remark that Kennedy learns his friend is black. So the film addresses two subjects seldom covered back then—wounded veterans and racism.

Edwards also had a small part in another unusual war film in 1962, “The Manchurian Candidate.”

“Pride of the Marines” (1945)—John Garfield plays real-life Marine hero Al Schmid who was blinded by a Japanese grenade on Guadalcanal.

Air Force (1941)—another great WWII movie that starred Garfield and others.

The Purple Heart—This unusual story was based on the two Army Air Corps bomber crews who were captured by the Japanese during Doolittle’s raid on Tokyo in 1942. Dana Andrews and Richard Conte are in the cast. They play members of the crew of one bomber who are subjected to a show trial in Tokyo then executed. In real life I think only 3 of the men from two crews were executed, although others died of bad treatment in Japanese prisons.

The Caine Mutiny—One of the best movies of all time and any genre, with top performances by Bogart, Fred MacMurray, Van Johnson, and José Ferrer. Base on a great play script, the movie shows very little actual combat. Lee Marvin and Claude Adkins, two WWII veterans, have small but meaty roles.

There have been several war movies that focused on prisoners of war:.

“King Rat” (1965)--George Segal, Tom Courtenay Japanese camp for Allied POWs in Singapore. This was the best and most accurate POW film, IMO.

“Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence” (1983)--David Bowie, Tom Conti

“The Grand Illusion” (1938)—an international classic

The surreal “Slaughterhouse Five” (1972)

Billy Wilder’s classic “Stalag 17” (1953)--William Holden, Don Taylor, Otto Preminger, Robert Strauss, Harvey Lembeck

“The Great Escape” (1963)—this always seemed to me more like a comedy than a drama. The prisoners seemed awfully well-dressed.

The unrealistic “Victory” (1981) Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, Pelé,

“A Town Like Alice” (1956)

“The Deer Hunter”(1979)

“Hanoi Hilton”

“The Bridge on the River Kwai” (1957) -- I once interviewed a group of Americans who, as prisoners of the Japanese, once worked on the real railway. They suffered far worse than anything depicted in that movie, which they mostly disliked.

There also was a film about German POWs--submariners--trying to escape from a POW camp in Scotland, whose title I can’t recall; Also I seem to recall a B&W film made in the 1940s about American Army nurses and others women captured by the Japanese.

Plus various fantasy films by Chuck Norris and others about returning to Vietnam to rescue POWs and MIAs.

Ive seen Tora!Tora!Tora! listed a few times but I think you have to follow that movie up with Midway , it gives a sense of completion in my book.

Also loved Battle of the Bulge and The Fighting See-Bees(John Wayne classic)

Would you include epic movies, like the 300?
I watched it last night. Loooved it!

Cheers

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Kelly's Heroes is a great war film. I got it recently and had the kids watch it with me.

I used to watch a lot of these with my Dad. He liked war movies and westerns.

I have to say Troy, and all of the Lord of the Ring movies. Saving Private Ryan was a good movie too.