The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Never saw any of the LOTR movies and plan to address this when I have 20000 free hours.

Schindler's List. Great movie? Or great subject with great director? I lean the latter.

Make sure you get the extended versions. Not kidding.

Didn't vote for Schindler’s List but it most definitely belongs on an all time greats list, here's my old write-up;

# 100
Schindler’s List 1993 Directed by Steven Spielberg

3h 15min | Biography | Drama | History
Director: Steven Spielberg
Writers: Thomas Keneally, Steven Zaillian
Cast: Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Fiennes, Caroline Goodall, Jonathan Sagall, Embeth Davidtz, Malgorzata Gebel, Mark Ivanir, Béatrice Macola, Andrzej Seweryn

“There will be generations because of what you did.”
Saw Schindler’s List in the theater back in 1993, when I was a still a teenager.
It was one of the most overwhelming cinematic experiences I ever had.
Anyone with a genuine love for films or film-making agrees on its masterpiece status and it’s critical acclaim. I have yet to meet a person irl who had something negative to say about it except for it’s low re-watch value. Which I can agree on, I’ve only seen it twice in the last 26 years myself. But sometimes re-watches aren't needed when the heavy impact of a single watch stays in audiences hearts and minds for years after.

"Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

Seen: 49/60

Ballot:
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1992 (71)
4. The Terminator 1984 (56)
6. Enter the Dragon 1973 (97)
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (42)
23. Star Wars 1977 (78)

Composer stats:
Williams 4
Morricone 0

I've removed a few posts in this thread, because they're already derailing discussion of the list a bit and are pretty obviously going to continue to do so. Most were reasonable but need to be removed to avoid giving someone the last word or leaving some overt criticism hanging out there.

Anyone involved can feel free to contact me privately.

Genuinely surprised to see The Two Towers come up, but like I said on a previous post, I've always been surprised to see how many people hold it as their favorite. Not a diss on them, though, but to me, it's easily the weakest entry in the trilogy, hence not on my list. I still hold some hope for Fellowship to show up, but like Galadriel, it has diminished

As for Schindler's List, it didn't even make my Top 100, but I still think it's a great film. Every time I see it I find myself moved, disturbed, and angered.

I think I agree that The Two Towers is the "worst" film in the trilogy...but I feel weird saying that, because it's still excellent, and I'm not sure if it's actually worse so much as it simply has a thankless job, compared to the others. Chopping them up feels a little wrong to begin with, too.

It has some of the best sequences of the entire trilogy, regardless.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I've always felt that ROTK was by far the weakest.

I think Two Towers is almost as good as Fellowship.

I've always felt that ROTK was by far the weakest.

I think Two Towers is almost as good as Fellowship.
Yeah, yeah, that's because it shows you defeating the Balrog and coming back

@Yoda, is it me or does the Two Towers entry not show the "New" label/icon at the bottom?

Schindler's List is a tough one. My theater experience with it was aggravating, filled with loud teenagers,so while I could still appreciate the film, it was hard to give it the attention it probably needed.

A more offensive spectacle I cannot recall.

@Yoda, is it me or does the Two Towers entry not show the "New" label/icon at the bottom?
Well-spotted. It was omitted because, on the previous list, the three films were combined into one for balloting purposes. Not really any way to square that circle: is it an UP because the specific title wasn't on the list before, or a DOWN because the trilogy as a whole was higher than this? Decided no answer really made sense.

Schindler's List is a tough one. My theater experience with it was aggravating, filled with loud teenagers
"Hey we need a place to make out."
"How about the movies?"
"Great. Which movie?"
"Doesn't matter, pick one at random."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah, any movie should be fine."

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Let's keep adding to this...

My ratings so far:

HM: The Seventh Seal -

100. Brazil - Unseen
99. Suspiria -

98. Cabaret - Unseen
97. Enter the Dragon -

96. The Searchers - Unseen
95. Ikiru - Unseen
94. Her - Unseen
93. Braveheart -

92. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Rewatch due
91. Rosemary's Baby -

90. Harold and Maude -

89. E.T. the Extraterrestrial -

88. Akira -

87. Toy Story -

86. Dazed and Confused - Rewatch due
85. To Kill a Mockingbird -

84. The Apartment -

83. Saving Private Ryan -

82. 8 1/2 - Rewatch due
81. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -

80. West Side Story - Rewatch due
79. American Beauty -

78. Star Wars -

77. Young Frankenstein - Unseen
76. Stand By Me -

75. Paris, Texas - Unseen
74. Magnolia - Rewatch due
73. Metropolis -

72. A Woman Under the Influence - Unseen
71. Terminator 2: Judgment Day -

70. Heat -

69. American History X - Rewatch due
68. Pan's Labyrinth -

67. Andrei Rublev - Unseen
66. Mulholland Drive -

65. Forrest Gump - Rewatch due
64. Singin' in the Rain -

63. Die Hard -

62. The Tree of Life -

61. City of God - Rewatch due
60. There Will Be Blood[/i] -

59. Rocky - Rewatch due
58. The Night of the Hunter - Rewatch due
57. North by Northwest -

56. The Terminator -

55. Gone with the Wind - Rewatch due
54. Come and See -

53. Sunset Boulevard -

52. Fight Club -

51. No Country for Old Men -

50. Amadeus -

49. Raging Bull - Rewatch due
48. The Third Man -

47. The Exorcist -

46. The Silence of the Lambs -

45. Persona -

44. Halloween -

43. Unforgiven -

42. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -

41. Schindler's List -

Again, bunch of films that I haven't seen in a long, long time so I don't want to put the rating I might have given them 20+ years ago...

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yeah, yeah, that's because it shows you defeating the Balrog and coming back

Yea I made that old Rog my biatch!

Well-spotted. It was omitted because, on the previous list, the three films were combined into one for balloting purposes. Not really any way to square that circle: is it an UP because the specific title wasn't on the list before, or a DOWN because the trilogy as a whole was higher than this? Decided no answer really made sense.
Ah, yeah. Thanks for the clarification.

At the start, was thinking I'd have at least a fifteen films on this list. But having only six films chosen so far and whiffing on the last twenty, I have serious doubts about fulfilling my guess with only forty slots left.

Maybe, but reminder that, almost by definition, the films chosen by the most people show up later. If a reasonable number of people are replying to the thread, it'd be basically impossible for people NOT to spend awhile waiting for a lot of their choices to show up.