Song Tournament #18

Tools    

ROUND 1 DAY 2

10-Billy Talent - Surprise, Surprise VS. 12-Pixies - Hey

10-Uriah Heep - Stealin VS. 11-The Killers - Somebody Told Me

6-The Raincoats - Only Loved at NightVS. 14-The Darkness - I believe in a thing called love

10-The Black Crowes - Nebakanezer VS. 6-JJ Cale - My Baby and Me

15-No Time - The Guess Who VS. 16-Pat Benatar ~ Promises in the Dark

6-Tricky - Overcome VS. 7-Ke$ha - Backstabber

9-Lepers - Flipout VS. 12-Morphine - Thursday

16-Night Ranger ~ Goodbye VS. 6-Michael Kiwanuka - Love and Hate
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

9-Arch Criminals - Falling VS. 10-Pretty Reckless - Follow Me Down

10-Bob Seger - Lucifer VS. 6-Roots Manuva - Juggle Tings Proper

11-Billy Talent - Afraid Of Heights VS. 12-Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights

10-The Sonics - Have Love Will Travel VS. 5-The Stooges - I Wanna be your Dog

8-Eric Burdon and War - Spill the Wine VS. 1-Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt

7-Ke$ha - Blah Blah Blah VS. 13-Billy Joel - Piano Man

5-Talking Heads - Heaven VS. 6-Nick Drake - Place to Be

2-The Rolling Stones-Under My Thumb VS. 13-Coldplay - Paradise

11-Billy Talent - Afraid Of Heights VS. 12-Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights ()

8-Eric Burdon and War - Spill the Wine VS. 1-Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt

2-The Rolling Stones-Under My Thumb VS. 13-Coldplay - Paradise (A Legendary band vs a trash band choice is obvious and the song of The Stones is pretty good)

ROUND 1 DAY 3

9-Arch Criminals - Falling VS. 10-Pretty Reckless - Follow Me Down-This was a pretty good match. I have a soft spot for chicks who rock, and that's what got my vote.

10-Bob Seger - Lucifer VS. 6-Roots Manuva - Juggle Tings Proper-I don't think that's one of Seger's best, but it's good and he's the artist I most identify with. The other isn't my style but it was decent.

11-Billy Talent - Afraid Of Heights VS. 12-Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights-Great matchup featuring two totally different styles. I never heard the second before; why is that?

10-The Sonics - Have Love Will Travel VS. 5-The Stooges - I Wanna be your Dog-Holy crap these were both great. A coin toss for me and it's a shame either has to go.

8-Eric Burdon and War - Spill the Wine VS. 1-Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt-I nominated the first song a long time ago and I remember being stunned by how soon it was voted out. Nothing wrong with the other but it didn't really do anything for me.

7-Ke$ha - Blah Blah Blah VS. 13-Billy Joel - Piano Man-Piano Man is pretty played out but it was always one of my favorite drinking songs. I somehow didn't mind the other.

5-Talking Heads - Heaven VS. 6-Nick Drake - Place to Be-Both are similarly ok for me but I'm much more likely to listen to the Heads.

2-The Rolling Stones-Under My Thumb VS. 13-Coldplay - Paradise-The Stones have so many brilliant songs, yet it seems that it's the same 3 or 4 that get nominated over and over again. I don't remember this one being nominated before and it's one of my favorites.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
ROUND 1 DAY 3

11-Billy Talent - Afraid Of Heights VS. 12-Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights

R1D3

10-Bob Seger - Lucifer VS. 6-Roots Manuva -
Juggle Tings Proper

11-Billy Talent - Afraid Of Heights VS. 12-Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights --- it's so clear right now who's one ok rock role model

10-The Sonics - Have Love Will Travel VS. 5-The
Stooges - I Wanna be your Dog

5-Talking Heads - Heaven VS. 6-Nick Drake -
Place to Be

2-The Rolling Stones-Under My Thumb VS. 13-
Coldplay - Paradise

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Damn, I was hoping you were messing with me.
ahah,

I usually copy the first one that appears, but as I was listening to the songs I just changed the Bold on the ones I dig more. Meanwhile I must have forgotten to delete your comments.

ROUND 1 DAY 3

Thank you so much for all your noms. They were all great!!!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken

10-Bob Seger - Lucifer
VS. 6-Roots Manuva - Juggle Tings Proper

11-Billy Talent - Afraid Of Heights
VS. 12-Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights

10-The Sonics - Have Love Will Travel
VS. 5-The Stooges - I Wanna be your Dog

ROUND 1 DAY 3

11-Billy Talent - Afraid Of Heights VS. 12-Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights - that;s a great song!

8-Eric Burdon and War - Spill the Wine VS. 1-Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt Eric Burdon and War - so cool

7-Ke$ha - Blah Blah Blah
VS. 13-Billy Joel - Piano Man

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
ROUND 1 DAY 3

Arch Criminals WAS pretty solid but Reckless has a great sound from the get go

was all set to go with Billy Talent then I heard that bluesy song

I actually had to do the same as Cricket and do a coin toss for this one

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
9-Arch Criminals - Falling
While Pretty Reckless has a great female voice and the music is good, decent rock, I'm leaning more towards Arch Criminals just because their sound seems more authentic to who they are. I admit the overexposure of ...exposures(?) throughout the Reckless video tempted me, but the shredded wheat side of me held true to my senses and I went with the better band. Damn you, vile temptress! You. Shall. Not. PASS!!!

10-Bob Seger - Lucifer
Argh. I want to go with the Roots here but Lucifer is calling me to serve his bidding.... I'm sorry, future Fallon groove props. I do feel guilty for my blasphemies. For whatever that's worth.

12-Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights
neaT. I really enjoyed Afraid of Heights much more than the previous Billy Talent submission. Visually, it kind of reminded of the B scifi movie, Kill Command. ...kind of. Good song all in all, but the Dap-Kings ...well. They just got that cut-time groove thing going on about half way in that's just too smooth not to move. Thanks for the new Talent track though. That has me curious....

5-The Stooges - I Wanna be your Dog
Great songs, both; but the Stooges' track is pretty much the end of that same road. ...you know the road. We all know that road. The one you traveled down because you had love, but then when you get to the end of it all, and everything is just an empty, damp, and chilly gutter space with that three-day old scent of cat piss burning your eyes to water, you realize everything was just a setup for yet another disappointment. Yeah. That road. Well c'mon.
MUTHERFRIGGINIGGY.

8-Eric Burdon and War - Spill the Wine
I love Digging In the Dirt. It's got a spooky lil groove, and I dig it. Dig? But damnit I love Spill the Wine so much more. Two really powerful songs against each other. I want to feel bad for turning my back on Peter Gabriel here. I mean he did help John Cusack. And through that uplifted boombox he actually helped us all in a way, and I will forever be grateful for that moment in my life; however, there's no guilt here. Not after hitting 3:20 of Spill the Wine.

7-Ke$ha - Blah Blah Blah
Toss of a coin here. To be blunt, Piano Man is about the most obnoxious song that I've heard. It's always been. It will always be. That's saying a lot since I adore Elektronic Supersonic. Hell, I just loaded that up just to get the ick of Piano Man out of my ears. Then there's Ke$ha. *Cries*

6-Nick Drake - Place to Be
Weird. Heaven is one of the few Talking Heads' tracks that I get nothing out of. Nick Drake probably would have won though, no matter who he might have been put up against. I just love the open tones of his guitar strum and the subtle dissonance between that and his voice. He can do no wrong. I was giddy to see his name pop up in another nomination.

2-The Rolling Stones-Under My Thumb
Huh... The last time I heard Coldplay play Paradise (gah, that's really hard to say out loud, wtf!), they were at the '89 Moscow Music Peace Festival with mTV's Adam Curry. They had longer hair then and sounded way different than this version. I'm not sure I like the direction they took with this remake. Wait. Wrong band. Doesn't really matter (anyone can see?). The Rolling Stones get my vote. Flawless victory. FINISH HIM!!!

I don't mean to be mean against Coldplay. I really like their first couple of albums. There. I had to get that out meow.