Vote on the next countdown (Oct. 2023)

Tools    

What should our next countdown be (Oct 23)?
30.36%
17 votes
Films not on previous lists
23.21%
13 votes
Underseen films
30.36%
17 votes
Musicals
46.43%
26 votes
Noir
28.57%
16 votes
Some decade refresh
10.71%
6 votes
Other (specify below)
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Maybe to help people vote, here is a helpful video explaining what is "noir"...

Neo-Noir was also very popular in international movements....Italian Giallo's

You have the works of Pedro Almodovar who often makes noir films

And you've got The French New Wave in particular the works of Jean-Pierre Melville

Neo-Noir was also very popular in international movements....Italian Giallo's

Yeah, I'm a little unsure about the definition of neo-noir, but if Giallo's count then my ballot will be like 20 Giallo's and 5 others.

Might be worth starting to talk about who's interested in hosting this. But we have seen comebacks, still a couple of weeks in the voting. But willing to close early if the results don't move for awhile.

Yeah, I'm a little unsure about the definition of neo-noir, but if Giallo's count then my ballot will be like 20 Giallo's and 5 others.
Technically, neo-noir refers to any "noir" made after the standard classical noir period of 1940-1959 that carries more modern sensibilities. Chinatown, which Matt mentioned, is usually the prime example, but also L.A. Confidential, Red Rock West, Bound, Blood Simple, etc.

Technically, neo-noir refers to any "noir" made after the standard classical noir period of 1940-1959 that carries more modern sensibilities. Chinatown, which Matt mentioned, is usually the prime example, but also L.A. Confidential, Red Rock West, Bound, Blood Simple, etc.
Yes to all those movies you mentioned being neo noir. I did post this yesterday not sure if anyone really seen it:
...Some of the biggest films and best loved films are tagged neo noir. Anyone ever hear of a little movie called Taxi Driver? or Chinatown ? or Dark City? or Reservoir Dogs? Oldboy? Memento? Mulholland Drive?. Literally the most popular films are Neo Noirs. A few more:

Nightcrawler, No Country for Old Men, Shutter Island, The Long Goodbye, The Man from Nowhere, The Man Who Wasn't There,The Usual Suspects, To Live and Die in L.A., True Confessions,
Zodiac.
That list could go on and one and on. I bet more MoFos have seen Neo Noir movies than they've seen of war movies and the war countdown kicked ass! So yeah a noir countdown will be fun
Giallo isn’t neo-noir.
I'm not familiar with Giallo but I'd say you're right.

Yes to all those movies you mentioned being neo noir. I did post this yesterday not sure if anyone really seen it:

Yeah, I agree with your general idea, even if I don't necessarily agree with some of your choices of films to label as neo-noir.

Re: Giallo, it is more closely associated with horror and slashers than it is to crime films.

Re: Giallo, it is more closely associated with horror and slashers than it is to crime films.

And yet....the actual history of Giallo's are "yellow" pulp novels adapted in the 60's

Now are they violent and horror...sure, stylized horror but it;s important to note that neo-noir crosses into other genres. Science Fiction has some of the more famous neo-noirs like Blade Runner, Dark City, and Alphaville. Those films are sciene fiction but they are also noir films. You are taking a crime story and telling it in a new way. For the Italians that was sex/horror/mystery.

The trick is not minding

And yet....the actual history of Giallo's are "yellow" pulp novels adapted in the 60's

Now are they violent and horror...sure, stylized horror but it;s important to note that neo-noir crosses into other genres. Science Fiction has some of the more famous neo-noirs like Blade Runner, Dark City, and Alphaville. Those films are sciene fiction but they are also noir films. You are taking a crime story and telling it in a new way. For the Italians that was sex/horror/mystery.
A lot of this is true yes, but Giallo has always been termed as thrillers, and don’t share much in common with neo-noir in terms themes, motifs, and characterizations.
Now, some neo-noir can be psychological thrillers as well as crime dramas, but they differ from giallo in style and themes.
I’ve never read Giallo as neo-noir, and anything I’ve ever come across and read about it has treated it as its own sun genre.

Now tech noir (Bladerunner, Dark City) is indeed a sub genre, and is recognized as such

The trick is not minding
I saw a list of neo-noirs that had three David Lynch movies. They were: Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive. Do these sound like neo-noir to you?
Yes, very much so.

I saw a list of neo-noirs that had three David Lynch movies. They were: Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive. Do these sound like neo-noir to you?
Checking on Wikipedia all are listed neo-noir.

Did I miss the part where someone volunteered to host?
I volunteered to host on the 3rd post. I said this:

What the hell...I'll volunteer to host a Noir Countdown I want it down right if we do one and the only way I can see is this:

First
We have two voting ballots, one ballot is for noirs from the 1940s-1950s. The second ballot is for neo noirs from 1960 to current. IMDB movie page is used to qualify the movies, if the tag 'noir' or 'neo-noir' occurs anywhere on the movie page then that movie qualifies. People can send both ballots or just one of them.

Second
The two ballots are combined into one Noir countdown consisting of 50 classic era noirs and 50 neo noirs. However there's only one countdown presentation and each day a movie is revealed from each of the two ballot tabulations (one classic noir movie per day and one neo noir movie per day).

Third
When the time comes for Yoda to add the countdown list to MoFo there would be a Top 50 Classic Noir list and a Top 50 Neo Noir list.

*This allows classic noir fans to have a focused list and allows fans of newer neo noir to have a list as well, we all get to have our cake! It doesn't take any more time to do this and there's still only one countdown being done.

***If we do this I'd be happy to share hosting duties and let someone else do the neo noir, I'm interested in the classic noir part.