Who Will be Our Next President?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
His salary is a drop in the bucket, but it's still a positive and it goes against what some people (not here) say about him doing this just for money. Not sure what you mean about the truth because I think they all tell lies. It does make me especially sick when Biden or Harris looks into the camera and says he called Mexicans rapists because they know damn well it's a lie and that it hurts the country. You want to question Trump's character, be my guest, but when they do that you better question their character as well.
What I mean is that this is a salesman's job being President.. As for Biden, I've never read a single word defending his record - they just say "He's not Trump" or mention something Trump did or said..

Truth doesn't matter, even when the media purposely tells a lie and then posting a small retraction or correction on the bottom of the page (online or newspaper). People believe first impressions, regardless of truth.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
What's really shocking to me is the quality of the candidates that the Democrats have fielded, or who have won the nomination. Deeply unpopular Hilary(pedophiles wife) and now dementia Joe, who can't introduce his relatives properly. I cannot believe Sanders didn't win the nomination, TWICE. Time for new younger faces to lead (AOC).

America just seems like a total disaster atm, so polarised, more so than ever before. Trump losing a tight race or Biden winning a tight victory both seem likely to be disastrous.

Another horrible, horrible, year for politics IMHO... I (very regrettably) voted Biden, but it's like a stench on me now that no matter how many times I take a shower or how hard I wash myself... I continue to feel so very ugly about it. Especially since, (as a registered Libertarian), I really loved Jo Jorgensen this year and thought as a candidate for the party she was much better than Gary Johnson of the last election, who I thought was rather unstable... but... knowing she stood zero chance of winning, and so desperately wanting Trump out, like many Americans I sacrificed all my moral and political values at the polls this year... but truly... if Trump wins or if Biden wins. I really don't care. American politics continue to become more divided and instead of "agree to disagree" debates, the "conversations" become screaming matches and the victor goes to "who slung the most mud at the other opponent." I recently watched the first televised presidential debate, (Kennedy vs. Nixon), say what you will about either of these candidates, but they behave, debate, and argue intelligibly, treat one another with respect, and act their age/like adults. None of which I really see in todays political realm, from any party. I'm just really done with it. Call my sentiments and opinions about all this jaded, but this is all the more reason for me to stay apolitical. I just don't give a damn anymore.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

To me what Trump is doing can't be defended, "to me we've already won the election" and talking about fraud. Not even anything specific, he seems to just be unhappy that in some states legitimate ballots are counted last in a different order? Then he's scrambling for every vote to be counted in Arizona. It just seems absolutely outrageous to me that he says these things and that people support the statements and spread his message.

At least he should have decency to wait and see who is said to have won before declaring it was a fraud if it's not him. lol

“I was cured, all right!”
Hope it is Trump. Not a fan of Biden - After what he said about Amazon in one of the debates, I just don't like him at all. Who the guy think he is to try to control Amazon? Brazil is not your baby.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Trump called it fraud last election...then he won. He's just adding fuel to the fire that he knows will erupt.

I expect more violence in the states.

Suspect's Reviews

Trump called it fraud last election...then he won. He's just adding fuel to the fire that he knows will erupt.

I expect more violence in the states.
Yeah it's clearly him playing on people's lack of understanding of how the counting process works.

Early on in the night Biden took leads in a lot of states like Ohio, North Carolina, even Texas because of early mail-in voting which was counted first then Trump was happy to overtake them once his in-person voting arrived.

Now it's the other way round, with states like MI, WI, PA counting mail-in last he's used it as an opportunity to deliberately falsely conflate counting legitimate votes with accepting after-deadline votes which is not what's happening.

I'm glad to see that a lot of Republicans have distanced themself from this and not gone along with it. As you say the bigger concern is how it goes down with supporters.

You ready? You look ready.
Welcome to the post-truth era. Sugar is good.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yeah it's clearly him playing on people's lack of understanding of how the counting process works.

Early on in the night Biden took leads in a lot of states like Ohio, North Carolina, even Texas because of early mail-in voting which was counted first then Trump was happy to overtake them once his in-person voting arrived.

Now it's the other way round, with states like MI, WI, PA counting mail-in last he's used it as an opportunity to deliberately falsely conflate counting legitimate votes with accepting after-deadline votes which is not what's happening.

I'm glad to see that a lot of Republicans have distanced themself from this and not gone along with it. As you say the bigger concern is how it goes down with supporters.
Giving Trump a lot of credit for knowing how voting works aren't you?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Giving Trump a lot of credit for knowing how voting works aren't you?
I wouldn't say he knows how it works. I believe it's more a distraction and just pushing through his preference because he seems the personality type to demand what he expects and usually gets it with little pushback from those around him. I also feel that's why he has held so many rallies as his base enables that attitude and cheers it on. I feel like that's a factor in how some other people perceive him. The dude is a bulldozer without much consideration on what he affects.

Have any of you worked for/with someone like that? It's a rollercoaster ride.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Have any of you worked for/with someone like that? It's a rollercoaster ride.
I once worked with a bloke that owned a bulldozer. Does that count?

I'd be surprised if there was violence from the Trump voters. It certainly wouldn't be that way the other way around, one of the reasons I voted the way I did.

Sorry, long night/distracted. I'm on 4.5 hours sleep.

I'm not sure how I'd define filthy rich to be honest with you. Maybe worth over 100mil? Idk, but that's also not the only qualification I'm talking about. There's also past retirement age, taking a difficult job, and doing it for personal glory, and that last part comes with the assumption that we know who's doing it for personal glory which is not an assumption I'm willing to make.
That number sounds reasonable to me.

Anyway, a lot of people seem to think if they had money they'd be happy to just enjoy it, and in some cases I'm sure that's true. But when we observe very very rich people they don't seem to be content with that. They generally seem to think about what's next. Which makes sense, that's a very human thing. I also think the type of person who becomes super wealthy is also not the kind of person to simply enjoy it. They think about legacy, power, respect, stuff like that. Trump certainly did a lot of things after being very wealthy that seem to have no purpose other than fame/notoriety.

At a time when we have to be skeptical of what we hear or read, do we really know that he's not doing the tough parts?
Well, if he was, what would you expect to see? You'd expect to see consistent responses across time. You'd expect to see competence, speed, and transparency in regards to logistical and public health questions. But we're not seeing that. We're seeing the opposite: we're seeing public arguments with health officials, we're seeing lag between reported data and political action to combat virus spread, and we're seeing wildly inconsistent statements about how serious it is, long past the point where there should be any doubt.

So I admit I cannot prove that he's disinterested in boring managerial stuff. I can only note how much time he verifiably spends on Twitter, holding rallies, and talking about media coverage, and how little evidence of that kind of boring diligence we see manifested. Heck, treat it like a math problem if you want: look at how often he does the big splashy public things and count how many hours are left in the day to do the boring stuff. It ain't much. Without even getting into the many, many White House testimonials.

I think saying the job is more difficult than he thought is an honest and normal thing to say. If he didn't know then, he certainly knows now and he's still trying for a second term.
Well, not if he insulates himself by just not doing most of it. Regardless, even if he had no idea what he was getting into, I'm still not sure it would be selfless to know and run again, given that anyone (let alone someone constantly talking about being a winner) would also care very much about the indignity of losing reelection.

Honestly, it's very foreign to me to think of any President as if they're doing us some kind of favor by becoming the most powerful person in the world. There are massive financial benefits post-Presidency, too, that are far more significant than the salary itself. I'm kinda disgusted with the idea (not with you, just the concept) that we owe our leaders some kind of additional gratitude beyond all the power and fame and wealth they receive. They're there to serve us, and I find it totally backwards when any public servant acts like they're sacrificing for us by assuming power.

Do you think he's accomplished much as President compared to Presidents of the past?
I'd need to ask a lot of follow-ups to answer this properly. For example, a President can "accomplish" something I don't think was good, but was still something they set out to do, and did. But in terms of sheer managerial efficiency this has been an historically bad Presidency. Just run down the list of campaign promises and note how few have come to pass.

Sure, but we still don't know that he doesn't put in a lot of work.
Technically, we cannot know it, we can only look at the surrounding facts. More to the point, though, is that just sort of seeming to move around a lot is not really evidence that he does, either.

I don't feel I'm speculating that he wants to help the country; I'm going by the fact that he's said that. From there, I'm not saying I believe him, I'm saying it's reasonable to think there could be some truth to it.
Oh, sure. But I think there's some truth to that for anyone. I'm not one of those people who think he's trying to destroy anything or hates America. I'm willing to assume mostly good intentions. But he's a grown man, and grown people are responsible for whether they behave in a way that makes their goals possible. If somebody just wants to help but indulges all their worst habits and petty grievances, and it gets in the way, then that's on them. You don't really "want" something if you're not willing to change and sacrifice to get it.

Trump is on the record many, many times responding to questions by simply talking about whether someone was "nice" or "mean" to him. It's demonstrably how he orients around pretty much everything, unfortunately. That makes him less comically evil than a lot of critics suggest, but it also isn't at all consistent with selflessness.

Fair enough when it comes to our conversation.

I'd be surprised if there was violence from the Trump voters. It certainly wouldn't be that way the other way around, one of the reasons I voted the way I did.
To be fair, I think that may be more in line with what Yoda mentioned about what we see around us. I mean, where I live in rural Alabama people have been stock-piling munitions and buying rifles and pistols that there's hardly any stock left. Kids I went to high school with are sharing militia group information and literally hoping for conflict, at least in their posts. A few of them have posted that if Biden wins there will be a civil war in retaliation, arguing tactical details I don't care to repeat.

Not that I take Facebook chatter very seriously, but that side wants violence too and are fanning flames as well. Different regions of the country, different ideals, different media coverage. The general mindset of most of the people here is one of the reasons I voted the way I did.

Just sayin' it's never one size fits all or that generalizations really ever apply across the board.

You ready? You look ready.
I think it is safe to say that a lot of the "chatter" about violence is just that: chatter. It is the politicization of frustration, and I would go so far to say that one side, whilst extremely vocal in their calls for violence, would only resort to it as a response to sparks from the opposing side. That's just how I see things where I am. I'm in a state that went Biden but is overwhelming Trump land outside of the major cities, and we haven't had any unrest to speak of. Even tho people are rightly pissed that the urban cities up north have leaned our state blue.

I think it is safe to say that a lot of the "chatter" about violence is just that: chatter. It is the politicization of frustration, and I would go so far to say that one side, whilst extremely vocal in their calls for violence, would only resort to it as a response to sparks from the opposing side. That's just how I see things where I am. I'm in a state that went Biden but is overwhelming Trump land outside of the major cities, and we haven't had any unrest to speak of. Even tho people are rightly pissed that the urban cities up north have leaned our state blue.
I can agree with all of that.

that side wants violence too and are fanning flames as well.
I find far right might start with harmless and apparently reasonable arguments, but their ultimate goals are draconian. It's a slippery slope with them. Once one of their goals is realised, they have ready new and more extreme goal to seek. If they talk long enough and you listen long enough, they reveal their true ultimate goals which aren't pretty. It puts their starting position into perspective.

I'm not saying Trump is far right.