The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Thanks for the comment, JayDee. I hope you're feeling well. For some reason I hadn't remembered that you only tried Lilo & Stitch because of me. Glad you liked it, though.

Now where the hell is that other Glaswegian?!

I like all of your top five to varying degrees. I almost prefer them in reverse order though:

01.Her (Don't really have a top fifty or anything anymore if i was forced to make one this would most likely be there)
02.Up
03.Mary and Max
04.Gladiator
05.Quills (Gladiator and Quills are interchangeable i like them about the same, having seen Gladiator alot more i'd have it slightly higher though)

Congrats on finishing your list, it was alot of fun

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I'll need to work my way through your list and watch those that I've not seen as for the most part those that I have seen I either like or love; very, very few that I'm not a fan of.

Also I'm trying to think from your last list what has dropped out completely, what were the highest placed casualties from the previous list? What about Boondock Saints, did that not used to be quite high, somewhere in the 30s maybe? Oh and Beetlejuice, that was another real favourite was it not? Die Hard 2 is away, as is A League of Their Own.

Oh and what happened with Shawshank Redemption? I was expecting that to show up after you watched and reviewed it a while back, seem to remember you saying something along the lines of how you'd forgotten just how much you loved it.

A lot of movies that made my last list didn't make this one. In large part that's because I didn't base this list on the old one at all. I literally went through my collection and pulled every movie off the shelf that I thought could potentially make the cut. Then I lined them up in rows of ten and kept pulling movies out until I was down to 100. Then I rearranged the remaining hundred until I felt satisfied.

I later ended up cutting two movies from what I came up with for that. I originally had The Long Goodbye, but replaced it with U Turn and I had With Honors but replaced it with The Incredibles. I still enjoy all of the movies from my previous lists, but my movie watching focus has shifted some and I had to make room for a bunch of newer or rediscovered favorites. A lot of the cuts were probably also just casualties of the fact that I haven't watched them in awhile.

As to Shawshank, I really enjoyed my last viewing of it, but still just wasn't feeling it when I went to compile this list.

Anyway, here are the previous lists, I bolded the movies from the 2013 list that didn't make it this time:

Miss Vicky’s Top 100 Favorite Movies (2013)

1. Quills
2. Gladiator
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Up
5. Ratatouille
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
7. Bubba Ho-Tep
8. Being John Malkovich
9. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
10. Black Snake Moan
11. 3:10 to Yuma
12. Fight Club
13. The Departed
14. Clay Pigeons
15. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
16. Brotherhood of the Wolf
17. Edward Scissorhands
18. The Quick and the Dead
19. A Perfect World
20. Milk
21. Dances With Wolves
22. The Cell
23. Point Break
24. The Breakfast Club
25. Ghost World
26. Army of Darkness
27. The Libertine
28. Wreck-It Ralph
29. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
30. Encino Man
31. True Romance
32. Zodiac
33. Se7en
34. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
35. Walk the Line
36. Wall-E
37. Tombstone
38. Catch Me If You Can
39. The Boondock Saints
40. Con Air
41. Beetlejuice
42. Surf’s Up
43. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
44. Untamed Heart
45. A Mighty Wind
46. The Nightmare Before Christmas
47. Saved!
48. School Ties
49. Casualties of War
50. Over the Hedge
51. Chicken Run
52. Blood Diamond
53. Inventing the Abbotts
54. Despicable Me
55. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
56. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
57. Flushed Away
58. Inglourious Basterds
59. The Sandlot
60. Heathers
61. Cold Mountain
62. Far and Away
63. The Fifth Element
64. With Honors
65. The Bodyguard
66. The Last Samurai
67. Philadelphia
68. Identity
69. A League of Their Own
70. Death to Smoochy
71. Love, Actually

72. Brother Bear
73. Burn After Reading
74. Return to Paradise
75. While You Were Sleeping
76. Bolt
77. Interview With the Vampire
78. The Emperor’s New Groove
79. Frailty
80. Julie & Julia

81. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
82. Fido
83. Meet the Robinsons
84. The Land Before Time
85. Demolition Man
86. The Ref
87. Lilo & Stitch
88. Die Hard 2: Die Harder
89. Kinsey
90. Sommersby
91. Of Mice and Men
92. Tuck Everlasting

93. Schindler’s List
94. Charlotte’s Web
95. Gods and Monsters
96. The Robe

97. Django Unchained
98. Once Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
99. Showgirls
100. The Love Bug

Miss Vicky’s Original Fave 50 (2010)

1. Quills
2. Gladiator
3. Ratatouille
4. The Big Lebowski
5. Fight Club
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
7. Brotherhood of the Wolf
8. Bubba Ho-Tep
9. The Departed
10. 3:10 to Yuma
11. Being John Malkovich
12. Milk
13. The Cell
14. The Boondock Saints
15. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
16. Clay Pigeons
17. The Breakfast Club
18. Up
19. Casualties Of War
20. Dances With Wolves
21. Catch Me If You Can
22. A Mighty Wind
23. Saved!
24. The Robe/Demetrius and the Gladiators
25. Untamed Heart
26. Zodiac
27. Army of Darkness
28. Tropic Thunder
29. Death to Smoochy
30. Surf’s Up
31. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
32. Philadelphia
33. A Perfect World
34. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
35. A League of Their Own
36. Wall-E
37. The Shawshank Redemption
38. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
39. The Nightmare Before Christmas
40. Pulp Fiction
41. Se7en
42. Blood Diamond
43. Shrek 2
44. The 24th Day
45. Black Snake Moan
46. The Quick and the Dead
47. Beetlejuice
48. Serial Mom
49. The Sandlot
50. The Libertine

A belated congratulations on the list, Miss Vicky! It was a very enjoyable read. Love the format. Sharing previous placements was a nice touch. It's interesting to see which films have fallen and risen. I also love how the list is so uniquely you. If everyone posted their favorites anonymously, I think it'd be difficult to gauge the author of most of them since so many lists tend to feature the same films. Not the case here. This is a Miss Vicky list through and through.

I've seen 74 of the 100. Most of the animated ones I haven't seen. I'm planning on getting around to Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Bubba Ho-Tep, Romper Stomper, Casualties of War and U-Turn sooner than later. I've also added a few to my watchlist that weren't previously on my radar, like Clay Pigeons and Return to Paradise.

I knew about your obsession with Joaquin Phoenix (I mean, duh!), but I never realized that Christian Slater gets you so hot and bothered. I feel like several entries on this list are based more on your ability to rub one out to the leading men -- especially the bean-flicking trio of Phoenix, Slater and Cusack -- than the films themselves. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I also find it fascinating that you've included several animated films that received lukewarm receptions. I never bothered with films like Surf's Up or Meet the Robinsons because I didn't think they were supposed to be worthwhile. I almost skipped Bolt, too, just based on Miley Cyrus's involvement, but that turned out be a delightful little film. I have a lot of respect for your knowledge of animation, so I'll definitely be checking out all the animated films on here.

We share a few favorites in common. (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; Edward Scissorhands; Bambi; Ghost World; Se7en, Con Air, Mad Max: Fury Road, along with a few others.) I'm very happy to see Encino Man on here. I watched that movie a ton growing up and I still quote it from time to time. 3:10 to Yuma is the movie that kick-started my fandom for westerns, so thumbs up for its high ranking. It's also nice to see Black Snake Moan get some much deserved recognition. I saw it in the cinema (that marketing campaign you criticized may not have worked for others but it put my butt in the seat on opening night ). The movie is sexy, trashy and borderline exploitative, yet it's also very heartwarming and down-to-earth. The movie even inspired me to explore the blues. Such an underrated flick.

I think The Raven, State of Play and Batteries Not Included are the only films on here that I dislike. Even if a lot of your other choices may not be personal favorites, I still rate most of them fairly high. You'll also be happy to know that I watched and liked Quills a few days ago. I tend to struggle with period dramas, but with the exception of a couple lulls mid-way through where I got a bit restless, I found myself rather invested in the story and characters. The perversity and themes also helped. (It's fitting that The Libertine also made your list since I was reminded of the film while watching Quills). I thought Geoffrey Rush was excellent (although my eyes saw way more of him than they needed to!). It's not the type of film I'd have much interest in revisiting, but it's certainly a quality film and I can see why you love it so much. I might even read some of Marquis de Sade's writing. Judging by the excerpts in the film, his writing is a little too flowery for me, but I appreciate any artist who seeks to shatter taboos.

A belated congratulations on the list, Miss Vicky! It was a very enjoyable read.
Thank you very much. Your reply to it was also enjoyable. Your posts are always well thought out and engaging. It's a shame you don't post more than you do.

I also love how the list is so uniquely you. If everyone posted their favorites anonymously, I think it'd be difficult to gauge the author of most of them since so many lists tend to feature the same films. Not the case here. This is a Miss Vicky list through and through.
I'm sure some people would chalk that up to me having bad taste, but yeah the abundance of animation, all those Joaquin Phoenix movies, and Quills at #1 do make it really obvious.

I'm planning on getting around to Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Bubba Ho-Tep, Romper Stomper, Casualties of War and U-Turn sooner than later. I've also added a few to my watchlist that weren't previously on my radar, like Clay Pigeons and Return to Paradise.
I'd be very much interested to read your thoughts on those when you get to them.

I knew about your obsession with Joaquin Phoenix (I mean, duh!), but I never realized that Christian Slater gets you so hot and bothered.
Well, young Christian Slater anyway (and he has since I was a kid). Today's Slater not so much. What's funny about that though is that I've never actually watched a movie because he was in it. All of his movies on this list I initially saw because my mom wanted to see them or because they happened to be on TV.

I feel like several entries on this list are based more on your ability to rub one out to the leading men -- especially the bean-flicking trio of Phoenix, Slater and Cusack -- than the films themselves. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
What can I say? A girl's gotta have her priorities.

I also find it fascinating that you've included several animated films that received lukewarm receptions. I never bothered with films like Surf's Up or Meet the Robinsons because I didn't think they were supposed to be worthwhile. I almost skipped Bolt, too, just based on Miley Cyrus's involvement, but that turned out be a delightful little film. I have a lot of respect for your knowledge of animation, so I'll definitely be checking out all the animated films on here.
I think sometimes people take movies too seriously and are resistant to just having fun with them. And that's what Surf's Up and Meet the Robinsons are, just fun. There's not a whole lot of substance to them but I don't think that's a bad thing.

We share a few favorites in common. (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; Edward Scissorhands; Bambi; Ghost World; Se7en, Con Air, Mad Max: Fury Road, along with a few others.) I'm very happy to see Encino Man on here. I watched that movie a ton growing up and I still quote it from time to time. 3:10 to Yuma is the movie that kick-started my fandom for westerns, so thumbs up for its high ranking. It's also nice to see Black Snake Moan get some much deserved recognition. I saw it in the cinema (that marketing campaign you criticized may not have worked for others but it put my butt in the seat on opening night ). The movie is sexy, trashy and borderline exploitative, yet it's also very heartwarming and down-to-earth. The movie even inspired me to explore the blues. Such an underrated flick.
Nice choices. I'm always happy to see some love for Black Snake Moan and Encino Man. The former rarely gets talked about and the latter is usually met with derision. I'll admit that the marketing campaign for Black Snake Moan got me interested as well. However, I still think it was detrimental to the film's reception - either people dismissed it out of hand thinking that it was trash or went in wanting trash and were disappointed to find it was actually a genuinely good movie. I went in expecting trash and was pleased to find a sexy movie with substance.

I think The Raven, State of Play and Batteries Not Included are the only films on here that I dislike. Even if a lot of your other choices may not be personal favorites, I still rate most of them fairly high.
71 out of 74 is damn good. You've got great taste.

You'll also be happy to know that I watched and liked Quills a few days ago. I tend to struggle with period dramas, but with the exception of a couple lulls mid-way through where I got a bit restless, I found myself rather invested in the story and characters. The perversity and themes also helped. (It's fitting that The Libertine also made your list since I was reminded of the film while watching Quills). I thought Geoffrey Rush was excellent (although my eyes saw way more of him than they needed to!). It's not the type of film I'd have much interest in revisiting, but it's certainly a quality film and I can see why you love it so much. I might even read some of Marquis de Sade's writing. Judging by the excerpts in the film, his writing is a little too flowery for me, but I appreciate any artist who seeks to shatter taboos.
I am happy to know that. It seems to be a very underseen movie. I'll agree that I didn't really want to see that much of Rush, but I actually found those scenes to be really impressive. It was like he viewed his own skin as just another piece of wardrobe.

Yeah, I think the similarities between Quills and The Libertine really worked in the latter's favor - though my first viewing of it was quite an uncomfortable one since I saw it at the theater with my mother.

I've actually read a little bit of de Sade's work and I didn't care for it at all. I do respect what he was doing but the actual writing just didn't work for me. I do wonder how much of that though is the result of something being lost in translation.

Anyway, thanks again for the thoughtful reply. It's always a treat to read your posts.

Love this list.. Lilo & Stitch, Untamed Heart, Showgirls, great original choices..

(Some advice, maybe make 2 separate lists, animated and non-animated, that way you can add way more titles, and need to cut way less favorites)

Re-watching: Brotherhood of the Wolf , The Raven, and watchlisted some titles I've never seen..