188 .......................... 199

May 29th

—— 2015 ——
Shaun the Sheep
MOVIE
—— animation ——

"Life's a treat
with Shaun the Sheep!"

I wouldn’t exactly call myself a major fan of the television show, which this movie is based on, but on occasion I did have a fun time watching the fuzzy animals fluffing around on the farm, while finding fun things that would eventually drive the farmer insane. But sheep in steep trouble for seven-minutes is one thing; but turning these small simple shorts into one entire full length feature, with what can only be called a serious surplus of sheep, I was afraid that I would become tired and bored by the end of it, while constantly watching these little animals for eighty-five minutes straight, until I was finally hit with the “sheep-counting-curse” and eventually fell asleep. How would the minds behind ever translate these seven-minute shorts of speechless sheep and mute men, into something that would be worthy of the big screen, while still keeping the spirit of the source material intact and without having any dull parts throughout? What a mission indeed, but thankfully it is the minds of Aardman Animations who are shepherding these sheep, so it should hopefully live up to my high expectations…

First off, I have always loved, admired and supported the works of old fashioned stop-motion animation, which often made me watch films I wouldn't even have seen, if it weren't for the handcrafted charisma of carefully constructed moviemaking. Great art takes its time, but moving a single frame of film manually, by hand, maybe sounds a little bit like over-interpreting the saying. But the final results of stop-motion are always breathtaking and admirable, especially if the subject of the animation is something you are interested in.

So when being familiar with the lovable characters from the television show, I couldn’t wait to see how they would expand on the otherwise tiny little farmland universe. And how did they expand! The stop-motion animation is beautiful and especially the enormous set pieces of an entire city is extremely well-done, considering being used to small fences and open fields. The amount of detail throughout goes hand in hand with the simplicity of the characters, which makes it a complete joy to watch! The humor is even surprisingly edgy from time to time, which makes it fun for both kids and their parents to watch.

Comparing the film to the shorts, the creators have found a respectful way “shave the sheep” and give it a newer and fresher new look, but you are never in doubt of who and what you are watching. But this technique makes it easy for newcomers to adapt to the universe, without ever risking the film going circles or fencing itself in a tight spot. The spirit of the show is definitely intact and the humor is exactly the way we know it from Aardman. Sometimes the movie does play it a little too safe for its own good, but then in the next scene you are suddenly surprised at how they can turn it around and take an unexpected route. The many possibilities are like an open field, but thankfully the writer-director team finds a way to stay within familiar grounds, but still do something completely new. 'Shaun the Sheep Movie' may not be as great as previous short-to-film production, like the ‘Wallace and Gromit’ movie for example, but comparing the movie to its respective source material, it works as a great development of the world, which used to be a whole lot smaller.

Zodiac (2007) - David Fincher

- Perfect movie. the entire plot is just marvelous and the characters are all extremely well-performed. Atmosphere is calm but truly creepy. Score and soundtracks are great and the fact that it's a true story is incredible. Probably in my Top 15 ever.
+

Insurgent (2015)

I actually liked the first film of the series. Yeah, it was another uninspired YA movie, but for what it was, it was done fairly well. It had its own climate, the action scenes were damn good and the soundtrack was amazing.

I expected the same from the sequel but I'm sorry to report that the well-polished style which made the first movie likable is quite a bit less polished here. The action scenes still impressed but the soundtrack failed to amaze this time and the story was just completely average. Now it's just about fighting the system, we don't find out much more about it, we don't get to "experience it" like we did in Divergent.

On the overall, I wouldn't say that this isn't worth watching at all but if Divergent was done like this, I wouldn't care enough to watch the sequel.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A Thousand Clowns - 6/10

The theme is amazing... I identify with it so much. However, there's a lot of filler, waste. Too much corny observations and jokes. Silliness.. Sarcasm.

I love non-conformity, I think the group is the biggest enemy to civilization, but I'm not a big fan of manufactured non-conformity made in the lab.

Pitch Perfect (2012)

Didn't like it. Couldn't understand what all the hype was with this one. Wasn't funny (may have chuckled one time thoughtout) and most of the songs they acappella'ed was generic pop music that's already been forgotten.

Care for some gopher?
The Gold Rush (USA, 1925, Charlie Chaplin) -
+

Loved the soundtrack!

Unregistered User
Alive (1993) -

Mrs Miniver (1942) -
+
Keeping Rosy (2014) -

Nine to five (1980) -

Lets be Cops (2014) -

Minions (2015) -

As Above, So Below (2014) -
+

It Follows (2014)

I don't get scared anymore by movies, but this would do it if I did. Ok, maybe I felt a little something. The plot is fine, if nothing special, but it's all about atmosphere here. It's filmed in that 80's style that I love, rather than that over glossy look of most films today, and the music score/effects are superb. It's not a long time enduring classic or anything, but for today, it's a must see for horror fans.

Master of My Domain
Mud (Jeff Nichols, 2012)

A basic one-man-wanderer plot, elevated to a certain level of greatness by some Southern spice, a few boys much like duplicate, more modern versions of Huckleberry Finn and Jeff's Nichols' direction and the overal acting that knows when to be serious or not, giving a few sweet moments as well as grit-hard reality. I used to hate Matthew McConaughey, but over the course of a couple memorable performances he's shaping into a well-rounded, solid actor. Looking forward to Take Shelter by the same director.

+

Step Brothers (2008)

Just rewatched this yesterday when it was on TV(first time in a while i've watched a movie on TV). Ferrell and Reilly are fantastic in this film.

The ****ing catalina wine mixer

Oh man, False Writer, you watched Pitched Perfect? That must have been torture.
Yeah... Decided to give it a chance, I thought it would have at least been funny but was completely wrong.

The plot is a ramshackle, confusing mess which begins to fall apart from the start, until the film basically becomes Taken with Neeson trying to save his son instead of his daughter.

A western that concerns more the personal experiences of the characters and the toll the stark reality of life in those dark times took upon them. You see the true nature of people when placed in a situation of survival of the fittest, expressed in a beautifully subtle and surreal way. As far as westerns go, Slow West is something unique. It has a Terrence Malick feel to it.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
I, Frankenstein: 4/10 - Very similar to Underworld, but instead of vampires and lycans, there are gargoyles, demons, and Frankenstein's monster. Decent action romp, but nothing more.

Battle: Los Angeles: 4/10 - Generic alien invasion movie. What more can I say, really?