Flame Warriors

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
ADMIN NOTE: the first few posts in this thread were moved from The Shoutbox, hence their rather sudden and arbitrary nature.

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy
Originally Posted by Loner
Doesn't everybody fall under one of those personalities?
Who am I, since I don't know anything about these yet? Remember, I'm an as sweet as sugar bitch.
Here is the link Des, Flame Warriors.

Hit the down arrow next to Flame Warrior Roster to see the different personalities.

Here is the link Des, http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm.

Hit the down arrow next to Flame Warrior Roster to see the different personalities.
OK, I'll look through a little closer, later, but I appear to be this person . . .

Nanny:

Nanny tirelessly monitors forum discussions to make sure that everyone behaves. Though she is quick to admonish for off-topic messages, and petty squabbling, she is generally slow to anger. Rather than wading into pitched battles, Nanny simply pulls the plug on combatants, and bans repeat offenders. Weaker Warriors such as Innocence Abused, Weenie, and Crybaby will run to Nanny for protection in the midst of battle.

I see a few other MoFos on there, as well.

This is funny . . .

Admin:

Admin is the janitor, the cop, the mayor, the judge and sometimes even the forum doctor who tends to Warriors injured in battle - in other words, Nanny on steroids. Because he runs the forum and sets the rules Admin has the power to pull the plug on any Warrior who gets a little too frisky. Sometimes his efforts are appreciated, but like any authority figure he is also resented - especially by Jerk, Evil Clown, Enfant Provocateur, Ego, Rebel Without a Clue, Yuk Yuk, Troller, and other Warriors who would like to turn the forum into their personal playground.

The question is, which of the bottom options is Film Freak?!? I say he can be either Jerk, or Troller.

...she is generally slow to anger.
Well that eliminates you.

...she is generally slow to anger.
Well that eliminates you.
Damn! I was hoping no one would notice.

Flame Warriors is pretty fantastic. It's been around for, gosh, probably a solid decade, though when it was linked to recently, it was the first time in a year or two I'd seen it.

Obviously the conceit of forum members as warriors is clever, and the cartoons are amusing, but revisiting them now I'm particularly struck by how well the profiles hold up. Internet forums really do (roughly) break down along these lines at a certain size, and most of us have one or two of them in us. It's funny, but it's really perceptive, too.

Anyway, yeah, put FilmExpert down for Jerk, but with a splash of Ferrous Cranus mixed in, at least in the sense that, when confronted, he pretty much ditches the point of contention and just starts repeating himself.

We've had ourselves a few Centurions somewhat recently, too:

Centurion tries to gain tactical advantage in battle by asserting that he is, or was at one time, in the military. He affects the brusque demeanor and clipped style of a drill sergeant, and intimidates opponents by sprinkling his messages with military verbiage and obscure acronyms. He reinforces weak arguments by constantly reminding other Warriors that he has “done his duty”, or “served his country”. Sometimes Centurion may even post pictures of military hardware or images of himself in fatigues brandishing a weapon. Centurion may actually have a military background, or he may just be a nut case - no one really knows. Centurion loathes and is loathed by Weenie, Artiste and Fragile Femme. His natural ally is Troglodyte.

Yep. Why wouldn't I be?

Just don't want you injuring anyone.

We've had ourselves a few Centurions somewhat recently, too:
That's another part that makes mine being The Nanny not so true. I only drop the ban hammer on Spammers and Pedophiles. I wanted to on both Michael and TheNexttinyThing, but I always wait on your decision. Well, except Michael, but he started telling you and others off, so that was a given. Maybe I'll start doing it as often as I want, and see how long it takes to piss you off.

Every time I say The Nanny, I picture . . .

I do not sound like that.

I don't know, but I'm looking.

Obviously the conceit of forum members as warriors is clever, and the cartoons are amusing, but revisiting them now I'm particularly struck by how well the profiles hold up. Internet forums really do (roughly) break down along these lines at a certain size, and most of us have one or two of them in us. It's funny, but it's really perceptive, too.
The only thing I would equate to war is war, unless it's something like the North Hollywood shootout.

Also, unless someone gets banned, does anybody really win an internet argument?

Semper Fooey
Film Expert was basically Troller. He was a little more careful in his latest incarnation, but he is basically trying to stir up the pot by taking positions that are going to be disputed. To claim on one forum the best James Bond was Roger Moore is an opinion that is reasonable, To also argue Moore at his age should still be playing Bond and insisting on it is absurd. To say Steven Seagal is underrated as an actor is one thing. But to claim he was a great actor and to cite his worst movies, direct to videos as examples of him at his finest is just being silly. Even when he says something reasonable he pushes it to absurdity, like classic horror movies are better than contemporary ones. I agree, but he also says modern horror movies should be made only with old camera equipment around back then. Come on.

I recognize a lot of posters in the flame warriors. Not here, because I don't really know anyone yet, but on other boards I have posted at.

FilmExpert is one guy I'd love to have a couple of drinks with.

I won't be surprised if he is actually a member here. I know the mods keep a track of the IP. But he could have an access to another PC..
I personally have access to multiple PCs here, the only way Sgt. Chillum got caught was because I logged in as myself on another browser.

& I noticed his stay is usually brief.. He tries to get attention ASAP.

Semper Fooey
He can't be a long time member. He can't control himself. Being good bores him to tears. He changed his MO by trying to be nice to the moderators at first and even apologizing to a few people saying he had a temper and we saw how long it took for him to revert. That is why I didn't think it was Film Expert. I recognized him early on first time because he was doing the exact same shtick he did (briefly) on another forum.