The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm really surprised Murder, My Sweet made the countdown this high. I wasn't sure if it had enough fans to even make the countdown...BUT I'm glad it did! Murder, My Sweet was my #13.

From the Film Noir IV that I ran to support this countdown.
My review:

Murder, My Sweet (1944)

If I was Phillip Marlowe, I'd be like Dick Powell's Marlowe in Murder, My Sweet. I could see myself in those muddy shoes and wrinkled suit, needing a shave as I haphazardly tried to solve a case. I'd get one step forward thinking I was on top of things...and then I'd get knocked on my ass, but I'd get back up and come up with another hair-brained idea to ferret out the truth...And if I kept plugging away maybe I'd end up with the rich guys' daughter. Don't think I'd be like Bogart or Mitchum's Philip Marlowe, but I do see myself when I watch this movie, well sort of

Gilda was #72 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1940s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

#28 Murder, My Sweet (1944)

Director: Edward Dmytryk
Production: RKO
Cast: Dick Powell, Claire Trevor, Anne Shirley
182 Points, 14 Lists

'After being hired to find an ex-con's former girlfriend, Philip Marlowe is drawn into a deeply complex web of mystery and deceit.'

Yay! We have my #6 and one of my personal favorite movies ever! I couldn't justify ranking it higher, as it's not exactly high art, but I love Dick Powell's more comedic take on the hard boiled detective. The story and cinematography are classic noir. Love it!

Gilda was good, but didn't quite make my list. Rita Hayworth is worth the price of admission, alone.

I'm really surprised Murder, My Sweet made the countdown this high. I wasn't sure if it had enough fans to even make the countdown...BUT I'm glad it did! Murder, My Sweet was my #13.

From the Film Noir IV that I ran to support this countdown.
My review:

Murder, My Sweet (1944)

If I was Phillip Marlowe, I'd be like Dick Powell's Marlowe in Murder, My Sweet. I could see myself in those muddy shoes and wrinkled suit, needing a shave as I haphazardly tried to solve a case. I'd get one step forward thinking I was on top of things...and then I'd get knocked on my ass, but I'd get back up and come up with another hair-brained idea to ferret out the truth...And if I kept plugging away maybe I'd end up with the rich guys' daughter. Don't think I'd be like Bogart or Mitchum's Philip Marlowe, but I do see myself when I watch this movie, well sort of

Dick Powell is my favorite Marlowe, and my second favorite noir detective. My favorite is in my number one movie choice.

Who is that? You'll have to wait and see. (Distracts self by playing with fidget toy)

Well well well, my very first twofer on the countdown. Gilda has that wonderful undefinable classic Hollywood noir magic that really worked on me. Murder My Sweet is one of the most complete film noirs I've seen in terms of what I believe makes the genre. Stray Dog is great and was in heavy consideration for my ballot but ended up @ #35. And White Heat is high on my essential Crime classics list. At this rate I believe all but one from my ballot will make it.

SEEN 42/74
BALLOT 11/25

John-Connor's Film-Noir Top 50:  

A system of cells interlinked
Two votes from me today!

Murder, My Sweet was my #22 and Gilda was my #19.

Murder, My Sweet is a classic flick, and we are clearly getting into the best of the best at this point. How do you know which are the best? Why, they are on my ballot of course!

Gilda is super well-known, and is also fantastic noir of the highest caliber. I do have just a minor quibble with the tone of the ending, which sort of flies in the face of true noir themes, but I love it all the same. Many people who tend to watch more contemporary fare were made aware of this film when they watched The Shawshank Redemption, which famously features this poster in the first act of the film.

2 for 2 but neither Murder, My Sweet or Gilda were on my ballot. I liked Powell's interpretation of Phillip Marlowe and Ford and Hayworth made for a memorable pairing.

44 of 74 seen so far.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#27. Gilda (1946) is my #11.

Another view of mine, specially for the countdown. Interesting story and very well placed Rita Hayworth for one of the most memorable female roles of the 40's. Honestly, Glenn Ford was not my cup of tea here.

80/100

-----

My Ballot

2. Rebecca (1940) [#35]
4. The Wrong Man (1956) [#39]
5. Suspicion (1941) [#49]
11. Gilda (1946) [#27]
12. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) [#40]
15. The Lost Weekend (1945) [#34]
21. Spellbound (1945) [#68]
23. Woman on the Run (1950) [#91]
24. High Sierra (1940) [#50]
25. Niagara (1953) [#56]

-----

Nightmare Alley was nominated in the 13th Hall of Fame, and while I liked the look of the film, and thought it had a strong start, it kind of lost me somewhere along the way. This was what I wrote at the time - though kindly ignore the part where I say it doesn't seem to be that well known, since the recent remake has certainly changed that haha.

Nightmare Alley (1947)
Dir. Edmund Goulding
Starring: Tyrone Power, Coleen Gray, Joan Blondell

I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of this film. It drew me in quickly, and was very captivating to watch. Tyrone Power was very charming, which definitely aided the believability of his mentalism performances. His intuitive mind reading tricks were a lot of fun to watch. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but towards the end I just suddenly lost touch with the film. The first two thirds were very enchanting, but the final act, where things tend to get rather intriguing in film noirs, did not enthral me in the least.

As such, I was not on board with the film when it started to bring up religious superstitions, and its heavy handed warnings about the dangers of ambition. I typically enjoy stories that have a cyclical nature to them, but I found the ending of Nightmare Alley to be far too predictable and uninteresting. It's really strange because I loved a lot of the film, and being completely disconnected during the last half hour or so made me feel very bitter. I wish I could point to something in particular, but my enjoyment of the film simply ceased, and I don't know why.

Even when I was uninterested during the finale, the film was still very beautifully shot. The cinematography, sets, and costumes were all very well done and helped sell the atmosphere. Given the stellar performances and visual appeal of the film, I'm surprised that Nightmare Alley doesn't seem to be that well known. Despite not caring for the film's ending, I thought it was a great film and am glad I had the opportunity to watch it.
I didn't participate in the 4th Noir HoF where Murder, My Sweet was nomianted, but I had nominated it myself in the 3rd Noir HoF. My reasons for picking it then are the same reasons why it was on my list at #4. It's such a quintessential noir; I can't help but love it.

Murder, My Sweet (1944)
Directed by: Edward Dmytryk
Starring: Dick Powell, Anne Shirley, Claire Trevor

With a camera that lingers on smoke filling a dimly lit room, or mist slowly spreading through darkened woods, Murder, My Sweet is a film that certainly embraces the “noir” aspect of the genre. The daytime scenes take place almost exclusively indoors, limiting the amount of time anyone is exposed to the sunlight. Its characters are the type who flourish in the darkness, so the shadows and ample use of contrast set the perfect tone for the events that follow.

That's not to say that the film is all grit and cynicism though, since it does have a lighter streak that often shines through. Despite his weary exterior, Marlowe has plenty of witty, snappy dialogue and amusing quips at the ready. Dick Powell is great in this role, especially considering that his background was in musicals and romantic comedies. I'm sure many people will prefer Humphrey Bogart's take on the character from the Big Sleep, but I've personally always had a fondness for Powell's performance here.

As our lead character is pulled ever deeper into the central mystery, the plot does begin to feel a little chaotic. However, before things can spiral out of control, the loose threads start to weave back together, and the narrative ultimately concludes in a satisfying manner. Over the years, many of the elements found in this film have become stereotypes of the genre, but Murder, My Sweet is still an excellent example of why those tropes became popular in the first place.
Funnily enough, before going with that film as my nomination, I had rewatched both Gilda and Stray Dog - the other 2 films from the recent reveals that I've seen. Both were very late cuts to my list though.

Seen: 26/74

My List: 9
03. Stranger on the Third Floor (1940) - #92
04. Murder My Sweet (1944) - #28
07. Rebecca (1940) - #35
08. Ministry of Fear (1944) - #75
09. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) - #40
11. This Gun for Hire (1942) - #78
13. Odd Man Out (1947) - #47
19. Phantom Lady (1944) - #69
25. The Stranger (1946) - #38

Gilda made my list on the strength of a rewatch. I really loved it second time around. Had it at 22.

Murder My Sweet was close to making my list. Awesome Noir.

I liked both of todays entries with 1 making my ballot

2. Scarlet Street (#29)
3. Rififi (#42)
6. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (#40)
7. Body and Soul (#94)
13. Detective Story (#57)
15. Force of Evil (#85)
16 Ride the Pink Horse (#45)
19. Nightmare Alley (#33)
20. The Blue Dahlia (#74)
21. The Lady from Shanghai (#31)
22. Gilda (#27)
23. The Stranger (#38)
24. Drunken Angel (#70)
25. The Letter (#72)

What an intro, Rita-I mean Gilda. Classic noir with great characters and development and I placed it at #20. I liked Murder, My Sweet but didn't love it like others apparently - I had no idea!

10. Stray Dog (1949)
15. Bob le flambeur (1956)
17. Rififi (1955)
20. Gilda (1946)
23. White Heat (1949)
25. Nightmare Alley (1947)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Okay. now we're cooking with gas!!
Murder, My Sweet and Gilda are both on my list. I love Dick Powell and the "hardboiled" dialogue. When the big lug says, "she was cute as lace pants," I crack up.

In Gilda, Glenn Ford and Rita Hayworth have great chemistry. This is George Macready's, the actor who plays Gilda's sugar daddy, most memorable role. And Rita Hayworth is on fire.

This is George Macready's, the actor who plays Gilda's sugar daddy, most memorable role. And Rita Hayworth is on fire.
He's very good here, but I also like him in Paths of Glory a lot. He's also in a mostly underseen Bette Davis film I like called Dead Ringer.

Murder, My Sweet

This is not only one of the first Hollywood films noir (preceded by
Double Indemnity and The Maltese Falcon), but it is one of the all time very best, virtually defining the cinematic style.

Most viewers
are aware that the film’s title was changed from Raymond Chandler’s original Farewell, My Lovely because preview audiences thought that the title suggested a musical comedy, and also because the star Dick Powell was solidly known as a musical comedy lead. But what I newly learned was that RKO had purchased the rights from Chandler in 1942, and had used a similar story with most of the same characters in the film The Falcon Takes Over (1942), starring George Sanders as “The Falcon”, but with no Philip Marlowe character in the adaption.

Dick Powell etched a superb performance playing Marlowe as a hard-boiled, but human shamus with a sense of humor. The performance highly impressed RKO’s studio head, and forever changed the types of roles that Powell would play. The cast itself has no weak portrayals, and the ensemble worked together and separately like a fine Swiss watch.

The plot is convoluted and tricky, as are most of Chandler’s stories. As in his other novels various taboo subjects such as homosexuality and drug addiction had to be soft pedaled and de-emphasized due to the Hays Code. But Marlowe is in on solving the mystery, and there is a very gratifying ending with Powell and Anne Shirley.

Mention must be made of Edward Dmytryk’s superb direction of a faithful screenplay by John Paxton. Dmytryk had done a number of good WWII films, but it was “My Sweet” that really cemented his stock. He went on to direct
Crossfire, The Caine Mutiny, The Carpetbaggers, and many other wonderful films. We can thank his deft spinning of a dark and mysterious mood into Chandler’s work, which literally defined film noir.

There have been a number of Philip Marlowes portrayed in American feature film adaptions of Chandler novels. My personal ranking of the actors in order are: Humphrey Bogart, Dick Powell, Robert Mitchum, Robert Montgomery, James Garner, Elliot Gould, James Caan, and George Montgomery. But, having read all of Chandler's Marlowe novels I'd say that Dick Powell plays it as close to the shamus of the novels.

Gilda is a great noir, and also one of Glenn Ford's sourest starring roles. Was Rita Hayworth drop dead gorgeous, or what?! Their off-screen romance carried on for years.

It didn't break into my top 25, although it could have..

I had Murder, My Sweet up at #9.