Who's the greatest Director of the 21st century?

Tools    

Inspired by comments in another thread, who is the greatest director of the 21st century?

The only caveat is:

The director must have released their FIRST feature film in the 21st century (on or after 1 January 2000)

Go.

Too early to say really. For now I'd say; Jeff Nichols.
Keeping my eyes on; Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre, Nadine Labaki, Lee Jeong-beom, Oriol Paulo, Aaron Sorkin, Safdie Bros., Joseph Kosinski, David Mackenzie, Tom McCarthy, Morten Tyldum, Chad Stahelski, Gareth Evans and Siân Heder.
I like alot of those, but some of them have only made like 2 films (Sian Heder, Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre)

Safdie brothers, Jeff Nichols and Nadine Labaki are good shouts though. I like everything I've seen from all of those.

I know it's not exactly high art, but Evan Goldberg has made a strong list of ambitious comedies that rival Zuckerberg's.

Standouts: Superbad, This is the End, Pineapple Express, and my favourite of his, the Disaster Artist.

My initial reaction was to think either the Coens or PTA, but if we're limiting ourselves to the 21st Century, then maybe Chazelle? I know Babylon was very polarizing (I haven't seen it), but La La Land? Whiplash?

Bong Joon-ho?

I also agree that a case could be made for Gonzalez Iñarritu.

Is Yorgos too "out there"?

My initial reaction was to think either the Coens or PTA, but if we're limiting ourselves to the 21st Century, then maybe Chazelle? I know Babylon was very polarizing (I haven't seen it), but La La Land? Whiplash?

Bong Joon-ho?

I also agree that a case could be made for Gonzalez Iñarritu.

Is Yorgos too "out there"?
I personally don't find Damien Chazelle's output very consistent. First Man was extremely dull.

Bong Joon Ho is a great suggestion. He's versatile as well as technically great.

Lanthimos a good shout too.

Alejandro González Iñárritu would be my pick. Céline Sciamma would likely be my second choice. She has done 5 films and I really liked them all.

Christian Petzold, Celine Sciamma and Makoto Shinkai (Weathering With You, Your Name) should be in the mix. It may be too early to pick Robert Eggers, but he has the potential to be up there.

I personally don't find Damien Chazelle's output very consistent. First Man was extremely dull.

Bong Joon Ho is a great suggestion. He's versatile as well as technically great.

Lanthimos a good shout too.
I haven't seen First Man, but I've also heard polarizing things. Not as polarizing as Babylon, but still.

I need to catch up more of Lanthimos' stuff.

Tough call. Gonna have to go with David Gordon Green.

I know we only have three movies from Jordan Peele too judge from, but the first two are both A+ movies. Get Out and Us.

Nope had issues, but was still good. I just wish he hadn't tried to turn it into an adventure movie for the 3rd act.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Uwe Boll

Next question.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

The truth is in here
I haven't seen First Man, but I've also heard polarizing things. Not as polarizing as Babylon, but still.
First Man is one of my favorite Chazelle movies. It's very quiet and on the surface not the most eventful, but it creates a really strong character portrait in showing what Neil Armstrong was going through as he decided to embark on this adventure. It's one of Ryan Gosling's finest performances as well, subtly drawing us into Armstrong's mind much like he did in Drive. I highly suggest you give it a look.