Serenity

Tools    

There's treachery afoot!!!
Well I'm glad you decided to tell all of us here that liked the movie how wrong we are and what a waste of time us going to see it was

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Godsend
This movie is so overrated, it's getting absurd. Do you guys really miss Star Wars that much?

I saw nothing out of the ordinary. The ending was so lame and pathetic, I had to wonder how this movie even got made.
I'm not going to say it's a perfect movie. There are some pacing problems, to be sure. But it stems from Joss Whedon making the film accessible to those who haven't seen Firefly. Kudos to him for doing as good a job as he could have, but still - it is a MUCH better film IF you've seen Firefly.

Soooooooo...go see Firefly. The film complements the show well, and the ending will make much more sense in relation to the story.

A system of cells interlinked
This movie is so overrated, it's getting absurd. Do you guys really miss Star Wars that much?

I saw nothing out of the ordinary. The ending was so lame and pathetic, I had to wonder how this movie even got made.

The beginning was terrific, but during the middle of the movie everything just fell apart. I wonder how something with such a great foundation can end up making something so...so...un-original.

SPOILERS!

Honestly. The ending was horrible. I thought it would involve River a lot more and some big old, mouth gaping ending...but no. The same old usual bull****. Values, morals, and stopping it from happening again. *yawn* The fact that the whole entire planet got wiped out and the reapers were made didn't fancy me much.

What a waste. It should have been left for the Sci-Fi channel.
Awwwww, too bad. The ending was perfect, IMO. This film is just great storytelling. Sorry you didn't like it. Your loss, completely.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Originally Posted by Sedai
Awwwww, too bad. The ending was perfect, IMO. This film is just great storytelling. Sorry you didn't like it. Your loss, completely.
Awwww. Here comes Sedai trying to put sense into me.

Nice try cupcake. It's just a movie.

Well I'm glad you decided to tell all of us here that liked the movie how wrong we are and what a waste of time us going to see it was
It's called an opinion, sweetie...or should I provide you with a dic-tion-ary
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I thought it was good, but not great. I see Godsend's point, it wasn't hugely original, and was definitely missing some of the humour and romance of the show. But still much better than Episode 3...

Awwww. Here comes Sedai trying to put sense into me.

Nice try cupcake. It's just a movie.
When was I doing that, again? Certainly not in that comment you quoted.

I was mearly stating I liked it, and that it was your loss. Just my opinion.

Can we still be friends?

You ready? You look ready.

Can we still be friends?
No, he's going to hate you forever.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

In the Beginning...
My only problem with the film, really, was...

WARNING: "Serenity" spoilers below
...how Joss Whedon handled the deaths of Shepherd Book and Wash. It seemed like they each died in a somewhat rushed and unoriginal manner - Book being the "last" person left alive on a ravaged haven for Serenity (to get our blood boiling), and Wash killed in a split second, just as he begins to utter a profound and relieving line. I don't know about you guys, but it seemed like Whedon needed a justification for the viewer's taking the bad guy seriously, but it seemed kinda cheap to kill off cast members so easily.

And I really didn't care for the crew's reaction to each death. Anger was shown, but not much else. Little or no words were exchanged about the deaths between characters, and even the small vigil held at the end didn't hold much water. Some scenes work better if they're unspoken, yes, but the crew of Serenity is a chattery bunch. Whenever a crew member was hurt or dying in the show, they talked about it. They showed what they were feeling, and they said it. I didn't see much of that in Serenity, and that's a shame - the emotional dialogue was really one of Firefly's major strengths.

I wipe my ass with your feelings

Can we still be friends?
When were you doing it? Ummm...in that comment I quoted. Yessir.

Your opinion=poopy

No, we can't be friends....but bitter enemies for a better show, EH?!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Sleezy
My only problem with the film, really, was...

...how Joss Whedon handled the deaths of Shepherd Book and Wash. It seemed like they each died in a somewhat rushed and unoriginal manner....it seemed kinda cheap to kill off cast members so easily.

And I really didn't care for the crew's reaction to each death.
I kind of agree with you...

...I don't think it was 'cheap' to kill them off, I think it would have been lame and undermined the supposeddanger of the situation if the whole crew had survived, but I do think the deaths were rushed. Book's was predictable, Wash's shocking, but like you I thought the other characters showed little or no reaction, especially odd when you consider that Wash was Zoe's husband. I didn't think the final 'vigil'was al that convincing either.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Thursday Next
I kind of agree with you...

...I don't think it was 'cheap' to kill them off, I think it would have been lame and undermined the supposeddanger of the situation if the whole crew had survived, but I do think the deaths were rushed. Book's was predictable, Wash's shocking, but like you I thought the other characters showed little or no reaction, especially odd when you consider that Wash was Zoe's husband. I didn't think the final 'vigil'was al that convincing either.
Yeah, I see what you mean...

...I was going in expecting someone to die, but to be honest, I was hoping that someone would get horribly wounded, and the crew would have to fight the villain plus take care of the wounded person through the whole film (if Simon had been wounded, that would have been ideal). Talk about tense. The near-deaths in Firefly (including Kaylee, Shepherd, and Mal) got to me when I first saw them, because they were handled in such a way that you, the viewer, couldn't see very many ways for them to survive (example: Shepherd is dying, and the doctor is MIA).

Really, I think the deaths were unsettling to me partially because I loved the cast, and we only got one season of the show. Now that Shepherd and Wash are gone, I kinda wish I could have "gotten to know them better." Not that their sudden deaths are a bad thing: in real life, people die when they die, not when it's convenient. But I knew Joss Whedon wasn't going to stop at Serenity if he didn't have to, and it would be kinda nice to have the entire cast along for the sequels. We never got to see enough of them.

For some reason I think the "?" posts mean that this movie tickled some hearts....Just me i guess.......

SPOILERS: Honestly I thought the deaths were well done. Book was sorta expected, though Washs' was shocking. I know it seems as if they were handled poorly by the crew, but I feel thats how they would handle them. I think that if we get another film we will see Zoe struggling to deal with it through that film. I would enjoy seeing this. END SPOILERS

When were you doing it? Ummm...in that comment I quoted. Yessir.

Your opinion=poopy

No, we can't be friends....but bitter enemies for a better show, EH?!
Cool, unfortunately, you have been written out, due to financial contraints, and a rights issue with The Teletubbies.

Randomly visiting for now
I really liked Serenity and I'm not a sci-fi fan really. The humour was fun with silly jokes from Jane and the whole crew. The action was decent and the visuals were stunning. OK I'll admit the ending was a little off putting but it didn't wreck the story at all for me. It's really similar to the TV show (I've seen 4 episodes ) but I'd give it a solid

Female assassin extraordinaire.
ok it's been a while since i've seen the movie, but, i went in without knowing anything about Firefly. i saw the trailer and tasted something i hadn't seen in a long time that i missed - a sense of the underdog and a sense of family in an uncertain future. something i used to feel with xfiles and star trek: TNG.

i enjoyed it a lot, but do remember feeling some things were predictable, but forgiveable, because by the standard, reliable storytelling formulas, these things must be done.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
When Sheperd comes into the story, if you are new to the crew you will not know he is a crew member or have a strong attachment to him - and you will expect it when he dies. that's how i felt. he was an old friend who helped out one last time and was getting old for this kind of living, and couldn't always dodge life's bullets - so he took one for the team, so the team could trek on. they weren't in a position to spend time sitting there mourning him so, Mal reacted how he reacted - shock, hurt, and anger, then, move on. but, if you DID watch the show, i do think it's a pretty big loss considering he was a pretty core character, and Wash is also lost by the end (i thought the second death was totally unnecessary and they should have just had him badly wounded).

to have TWO losses like that is extreme in one film. It's a balancing act, and I think Whedon had to really work out how to 1) keep newcomers engaged and attached to the characters that it's most important for them to be attached to 2) keep existing fans engaged and justified by being faithful to the Firefly world and key characters and 3) get the greenlight on future films. if fox, for example, said there were just too many core characters and it's a hard sell, mightn't he have had to "trim off the fat"?

it's only now i've gotten around to watching the Firefly series and man, it's enjoyable. very fun, very engaging, sharp, witty, unique, original. i don't think it's terribly "adult" and there was one very edited nude scene where you saw as much as you'd have seen in Rodin's "The Thinker."

i'm hoping the movie did well enough and they get to make their sequels. even more, i'm hoping by some miracle the show gets to come back to tv, but i think it's a no-go since major changes have happened to the characters.

also, re: zoe and wash - i always felt really skeptical of those two. comments were dropped in the show that they married because the ship needed a pilot. when wash came on board, zoe didn't like him, but I don't think the series shows how they ended up together. i also noticed a distinct lack of "warmth" between the two of them in the show (they rarely kissed or flirted) but as the series progresses you do see more, it just sometimes seemed forced. i think that's something they may not have properly handled/developed believably in the series, so by the time we see stuff go down in the movie, we get some weird stuff with Wash and Zoe.

sidenote: joss has to get box office delivery on Serenity to get the green light on the rest of the trilogy being made. if serenity doesn't do well enough, there will be no further films. and he has already stated it's highly unlikely there will ever be a return to the small screen. the cast has signed on to do that trilogy, IF and WHEN it's a go.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I disagree with you about the second major death being unnecessary because it functioned flawlessly. I could possibly see the logic in the 'trim the fat' scenario, but I don't think that was the case; however, even if it was, the second death completely demolishes the thought barrier that existed in every, single viewers mind (at least who watched the TV show) that the core characters were all safe. That death was the single reason that everything past it was so succesful. No longer was the audience secretly convinced that their heroes were safe and in the end, it'll all be okay. It upped the ante exponentially, created a dire since of immediacy and danger and I think it was a masterful move on the part of Joss Whedon.

Serenity was one of the best films of 05. I liked it better than Revenge of the Sith. And it had what... one millionth of the budget?

When any movie gives me goosebumps, and Serenity did, involving a certain fight scene with River and a comment to her brother, that's a good movie in my book.

At some point, one has to quit technically dissecting a movie and give in to the emotional experience. On that level, Serenity was right on target.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Originally Posted by OG-
I disagree with you about the second major death being unnecessary because it functioned flawlessly. I could possibly see the logic in the 'trim the fat' scenario, but I don't think that was the case; however, even if it was, the second death completely demolishes the thought barrier that existed in every, single viewers mind (at least who watched the TV show) that the core characters were all safe. That death was the single reason that everything past it was so succesful. No longer was the audience secretly convinced that their heroes were safe and in the end, it'll all be okay. It upped the ante exponentially, created a dire since of immediacy and danger and I think it was a masterful move on the part of Joss Whedon.
i think you're right in that recognizing death can come get any of those you believed were untouchable was necessary. that, too, is a standard story telling formula. the thing is, it was already accomplished with Sheperd. Doing it twice was extraneous. If you figure Sheperd as "less meaningful" to the core group, then they should have, in order to balance things, killed Wash, and Wash alone. Or killed Sheperd, and wounded Wash. Or wounded Sheperd, and killed Wash. Plus, plenty of other characters could have been wounded instead or come near death.

Either way, two deaths, in one movie, the majority of it's fans having known both of these characters very well and for a long time?
That's a major statement above and beyond "death can take family, any time, and shake your foundations". It's to say that in the show, we could afford to have all of those characters take equal space. In the movie, and the franchise, we cannot. So, trimming of fat.

I will just say, as a fan of the show beforehand...

When wash got killed, I was totally stunned. As OG pointed out, this set me up for the rest of Whedon's combo punch, and I got knocked out. When the darts hit Kaylee (my wittle QT), I almost got up and left the theater... I was that shaken, and thought the man was going to kill the entire crew off.

But, I stayed, because I felt any film that would do that to me, must be great, and I clearly cared about the characters...