Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

By https://collider.com/maestro-bradley...lligan-poster/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74604006

Maestro - (2023)

I was pretty solidly behind Cillian Murphy to win this year's Oscar for Best Actor, but then I saw Maestro and thought "damn". You might call it Oscar bait, but it's no doubt a virtuoso and masterful performance from Bradley Cooper that I think is well in the running. He's obviously pouring his heart and soul into it - and there's never a misstep. As to the movie as a whole - a Leonard Bernstein biopic isn't normally the thing I'd be rushing out to see, but it's Oscar season and as such this Netflix film is an easy one to cross off the many lists it's on. I didn't hate it - I thought it was pretty good, and Carey Mulligan good (okay, really good) as well. I mean, it managed to say something about the man I thought - and what I read from all of the most vociferous critics doesn't glean with me. I'd probably be giving it a better rating if I were more into the subject matter and less completely exhausted with biopics dealing with musicians - whether it be composers, conductors or rock stars. Well done to it for never boring me as I thought it might - it kept me right up until the end, and drew me into it's central figure.

7.5/10

By It is believed that the cover art can or could be obtained from the publisher or studio., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10547649

Taste of Cherry - (1997)

Flat out masterpiece. A humanist endeavor that stands as a proud testament to the power of cinema, and Abbas Kiarostami's mastery of the medium. My review is here on my watchlist thread.

10/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Never seen 'Taste of Cherry.' I looked it up on Wiki and saw it had great reviews. Might give this one a shot. Thanks for the recommendation.

By https://collider.com/maestro-bradley...lligan-poster/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74604006

Maestro - (2023)

I was pretty solidly behind Cillian Murphy to win this year's Oscar for Best Actor, but then I saw Maestro and thought "damn". You might call it Oscar bait, but it's no doubt a virtuoso and masterful performance from Bradley Cooper that I think is well in the running. He's obviously pouring his heart and soul into it - and there's never a misstep. As to the movie as a whole - a Leonard Bernstein biopic isn't normally the thing I'd be rushing out to see, but it's Oscar season and as such this Netflix film is an easy one to cross off the many lists it's on. I didn't hate it - I thought it was pretty good, and Carey Mulligan good (okay, really good) as well. I mean, it managed to say something about the man I thought - and what I read from all of the most vociferous critics doesn't glean with me. I'd probably be giving it a better rating if I were more into the subject matter and less completely exhausted with biopics dealing with musicians - whether it be composers, conductors or rock stars. Well done to it for never boring me as I thought it might - it kept me right up until the end, and drew me into it's central figure.

7.5/10

By It is believed that the cover art can or could be obtained from the publisher or studio., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10547649

Taste of Cherry - (1997)

Flat out masterpiece. A humanist endeavor that stands as a proud testament to the power of cinema, and Abbas Kiarostami's mastery of the medium. My review is here on my watchlist thread.

10/10

That's some bad hat, Harry.

4/5 from me. Terrific performances from Colman, Weisz, and Stone. A dark, comic wit and clever use of contemporary language with period dialogue.

2nd Rewatch...A rare opportunity for Sandler to play an actual adult and he's actually quite charming. He plays a workaholic husband and father who is gifted with a universal remote from the magical Morty (Christopher Walken), that not only controls his TV, but everything in his life as well. Unfortunately, the remote gains a mind of its own and methodically begins destroying the guy's life. Sandler works very hard to make the insanity that this character goes through be believable and Walken steals every scene he's in, as do David Hasselhoff as Sandler's boss and Henry Winkler and Julie Kavner as his parents.

Boldly going.
Shin Ultraman
6/10
The battle scenes, especially the ones in the second half of the movie, looked like something out of a video game. I'm sure children would enjoy it.

Thanks

Der Verlorene (1951)

From the noirs list, this is the only film Peter Lorre ever wrote and directed. He also stars as a Nazi doctor who has someone from his past come back into his life. From there, most of the story is told in flashback when he was a killer. A solid film in which the creepy Lorre excels.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Bandit (2022)

I've just caught this on the TV.
Pleasant, entertaining crime comedy. A lot of fun moments. They even pay a tribute to Woody Allen's sense of humour, inserting here almost a fully duplicated scene of his Take the Money and Run (1969).
Josh Duhamel and Mel Gibson are pretty good here. Alas, kind of usual banal final of the film.
+
74/100

I forgot the opening line.

By The cover art can be obtained here., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49663698

Hamlet Goes Business - (1987)

Aki Kaurismäki really lets himself go with Hamlet Goes Business - an anarchical absurd comedy loosely based on Shakespeare's play Hamlet. Set in a wood processing business, with the family running everything a basic template based on the royal family in the play - so Hamlet (Pirkka-Pekka Petelius) sees his boss father murdered, and replaced by the man who killed him, married his mother and wants to transition to the manufacture of rubber ducks. There are some big laughs here amongst the utter lunacy. It's a film to take moment by moment - silly enough to just be immune from any detailed analysis.

7/10

By "Copyrighted by Columbia Pictures Corp., New York, N.*Y. 1947" - Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped from the original image and retouched by uploader; see upload history for unretouched original., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=89313764

The Lady From Shanghai - (1947)

This Orson Welles-directed film noir classic features his then ex-wife Rita Hayworth, her hair shortened and dyed blonde. Although a nervous studio cut it from 155 minutes to a scant 88 minutes it still has the tell-tale stamp of Welles inventive brilliance to it in every scene. My review of it is here, on my watchlist thread.

7.5/10

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
All of Us Strangers (2023)

Quite simply the most emotionally devastating film experience.

Andrew Scott plays Adam, who lives a lonely, isolated existence in a high rise flat and is trying to write a screenplay about his parents. He meets a neighbour, Harry (Paul Mescal), by chance and rebuffs his advances. Adam travels to where he lived as a child, where he unexpectedly meets his parents (Claire Foy and Jamie Bell), still the same age as when he lost them, the house likewise unchanged. As he has a series of cathartic conversations with his parents, he begins to be able to let Harry into his life.

A ghost story about loss and longing, this undeniably personal film works so well because of the attention to detail. The 1980s period detail is spot on, so too are the observations about generational differences and how things come around (Harry, younger than Adam, sports a similar moustache to Adam's dad and prefers 'queer' to 'gay'). But the things that are the same are telling, too: while Adam listens to Frankie Goes to Hollywood, his dad puts on a record from his own childhood. Everyone has their ghosts.

It's very well filmed, lots of shots of people seen in reflections and behind glass reflecting the way we don't always see people clearly and wholly. It's also very well acted by all four of the main actors.

I was in tears through most of the scenes between Adam and his parents, and I definitely wasn't the only one. It made me think of Aftersun, in some ways, in its exploration of childhood memories and parent-child relationships.

A really incredible film.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The battle scenes, especially the ones in the second half of the movie, looked like something out of a video game.
. No. Different aesthetic.

I'm sure children would enjoy it.
This is not a film for children

Watch Shin Kamen Rider and you'll get it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Today, I watched Squid Games Season and i rate it 8/10. So thriller.

When the Wind Blows, 1986

Elderly couple Jim (John Mills) and Hilda (Peggy Ashcroft) follow government directions to prepare for an imminent nuclear attack. When the bomb drops, the couple survives, sheltering behind their detached doors. But in the days following the attack, the couple begins to experience the consequences of radiation exposure, unable to comprehend that this is nothing like their experiences during WW2.

Devastating, which is exactly its intention.

FULL REVIEW
Broke my heart, the innocence facing such trauma.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)

-

I didn't even realize this existed until I came across it on Netflix, and thought what the hell another one. I figured it would suck but I watch all of them so I put it on. I ended up enjoying it maybe more than any since the original, although I mix the rest of them up. It started out with the naive kids showing up in their electric car and I thought yea, perfect victims to root against. They were fine though, not unlikable as expected. Without the credits it only goes for about 70 minutes and it doesn't waste any of them. Good solid horror madness.

All of Us Strangers (2023)

Quite simply the most emotionally devastating film experience.

A really incredible film.

I really like all 4 main actors in this, and I've heard such good word of mouth on it. Really looking forward to seeing it at some point.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
A Haunting in Venice (2023)

Directed by Kenneth Branagh
Starring Kenneth Branagh and ensemble of actors.

Splendid production, superb cinematography and top level acting as it is typical for this series. No matter of the messy style of story-presentation, it is a pleasure just watching the scenes, lights and textures.
-
78/100