The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Another one I voted for :

#61 Act of Violence - I saw this one in a film noir Hall of Fame and I liked it well enough to include it on my list. Starts with a real sense of mystery - what did Frank R. Enley (Van Heflin) do during World War II that would have Joe Parkson (Robert Ryan) hunt him down the way he does, resolutely and without mercy? The unalterably damaged veterans of the Second World War get some acknowledgement here for what they went through - there probably wasn't enough attention paid to the psychological scars war gives the men who participate in it when it came to that conflict. 1946 documentary Let There Be Light dealt with it directly, but it was still an issue that was swept under the carpet a little because mental health was a bit of a taboo subject - men were men, and in the culture of those days men just had to deal with it by trying to bury it or push it aside. Act of Violence gives audiences a glimpse of how a person is never the same after going through the torment, and in doing so Fred Zinnemann also turned the issue into a compelling and exciting film. I had it at #21 on my film noir list.

I know nothing of any of the other films revealed since my last post here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen : 6/40
I'd never even heard of : 31/40
Movies that had been on my radar, but I haven't seen yet : 3/40
Films from my list : 2

#61 - My #21 - Act of Violence (1949)
#67 - My #18 - The Hitch-Hiker (1953)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I have to confess that I got On Dangerous Ground briefly confused with another noir I watched. It also took place in a snowy locale. At least part of it did. I was going to ask you guys or maybe try the Movie Questions forum but I managed to suss it out. Anyway, I hope it shows up in the countdown because it was actually pretty good. It had just enough idiosyncratic elements to make it fairly distinctive. If I had thought of it then I would have made room on my ballot.

I have to confess that I got On Dangerous Ground briefly confused with another noir I watched. It also took place in a snowy locale. At least part of it did. I was going to ask you guys or maybe try the Movie Questions forum but I managed to suss it out. Anyway, I hope it shows up in the countdown because it was actually pretty good. It had just enough idiosyncratic elements to make it fairly distinctive. If I had thought of it then I would have made room on my ballot.
What was the other noir with a snowy locale?

On Dangerous Ground

"Sometimes people who are never alone are the loneliest".

I placed this right up there at #3. As one of the earliest examples of noir I recall seeing it had a defining impression on my perception of the genre. As I've said in the past I went through a phase of video taping tons of old late night movies. Being young and very naive I didn't even bother to check a tv guide - just started a 4 hour tape going around midnight. The very first haul from this method yielded this exact film followed by Armored Car Robbery (1950). I was hooked!

It wasn't at the time though that I thought this film was particularly well made or anything. I was tapping into a new genre of film that I'd had little exposure to and for all I knew was otherwise unobtainable. Even beyond the film noir genre or being a classic movie, it was a connection with another side of American culture from that period. I'd seen Hitchcock stuff and similar from that era but this was different. This was rain-soaked night-time alley ways, city hardened cops working the streets in a '49 Ford, listening for a radio call and looking out for a cop killer, cheap bars with women of questionable age or profession, hoodlums around every corner, and a cop whose hatred for it all was boiling over into an all out private war on the city. Really great atmosphere in that first 30 minutes.

When the main character is re-assigned out into the countryside it's almost like a sequel rather than the same movie. It's a stark contrast between the heavy night-time darkness of the city and the predominantly daylight exterior scenes in the snow covered wilderness. Through his own self-reflection the relationship that begins with Ida Lupino's character makes for a surprisingly innocent romance, despite the tension of impending drama in a chase for yet another killer. My own sentimentality towards the film can forgive any shortcomings the ending may have had.

#60 The Naked City (1948)

Director: Jules Dassin
Production: Mark Hellinger Productions
Cast: Barry Fitzgerald, Howard Duff, Dorothy Hart
62 Points, 7 Lists

'A step-by-step look at a murder investigation on the streets of New York.'

#59 Kiss of Death (1947)

Director: Henry Hathaway
Production: Twentieth Century Fox
Cast: Victor Mature, Brian Donlevy, Coleen Gray
62 Points, 8 Lists

'A crook arrested for a jewelry heist initially refuses to give up his accomplices, but he changes his mind once his wife dies under worrying circumstances.'

A system of cells interlinked
4/42

Hoping to see another from my ballot soon!

I've seen both but it was a long time ago but I thought The Naked City was a good film and liked the realist approach but was kind of meh on Kiss of Death. I guess a couple of classics though that this list would be incomplete without.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Fritz Lang as well. He had Ministry of Fear at #75 and Woman in the Window at #65.
Yeah, I knew I was missing something. I was literally dozing off at that moment and I knew I would screw it up somehow Thanks!

Yeah, I knew I was missing something. I was literally dozing off at that moment and I knew I would screw it up somehow Thanks!
Repeating Directors
  • Otto Preminger = 3
  • William Wyler = 2
  • John Cromwell = 2
  • Robert Rossen = 2
  • Robert Wise = 2

Otto Preminger is the only director so far with three consecutive ajmperis.
Told you Kids, don't post anything when you're falling asleep. I'm glad that my keyboard doesn't translate drool

Haven't seen the last two, but both have been on my radar.

SEEN: 6/42
MY BALLOT: 2/25

My ballot  

Both Jules Dassin and Henry Hathaway join the group of directors with at least two entries. Dassin had Brute Force at #73 and Hathaway had The Dark Corner at #87.

Both placed on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1940s. The Naked City was #84 and Kiss of Death was #81.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Every time I look at the title and think "oh I've seen that one" then look at the pictures and don't recognize them and it turns it out I've seen a completely different film with 'city', 'kiss', 'man' or 'angel' in the title

0/2 for me today

So Bogey has had four films show up in the countdown (Dead Reckoning, Dark Passage, The Desperate Hours, To Have and Have Not), and that's without touching his 4 or 5 big big film noirs, which will probably come up in the second half. Will he be the actor with most appearances on the countdown?