A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Can anyone explain to me why I like (and keep re-watching) this objectively terrible film?
I mean, other than a woman turning into a giant spider?

The best I can come up with is that I put it on on a lark, couldn't believe how bad it was, but then became genuinely surprised at how weird it was, and then started kinda rooting for it.
Now, I enjoy it despite it being terrible and not necessarily in the good way we all generally enjoy. It's really strange. Anyone else have this experience or am I just insane?
I've just watched the trailer and it looks like a blast. I saw nothing that I would feel guilty about liking.
This might be my Shudder watch of the month.

Victim of The Night
It's only a bad movie if we expect it to be more than it is. It has way more imagination and ideas in it than most films that have a supposed point. It doesn't let the restraints of restraint restrain it. I imagine way too many people write it off because it's obviously stupid and dumb. But so what? Being not-stupid seems like a terrible thing for everything to be.
Thank you.
That is pretty much the exact validation I would have hoped for if I thought I was gonna get one.

Victim of The Night
I've just watched the trailer and it looks like a blast. I saw nothing that I would feel guilty about liking.
This might be my Shudder watch of the month.
Honsestly, I had this odd feeling while re-watching it today that you might like it.
But I may be wrong.

Victim of The Night
One other thing.
The consensus around here was that Ghost Ship (1980) was actually truly bad and not worth watching, correct?

I liked Spookies when it was piling on the monster effects but found it a chore when we hung out with the humans. Unfortunately the latter comprised a nonzero amount of screen time.

I liked Spookies when it was piling on the monster effects but found it a chore when we hung out with the humans. Unfortunately the latter comprised a nonzero amount of screen time.
I gave it a 5/10, which is how I'd rank the Blind Dead movies. Adjust your expected ratings accordingly.

Re: Spookies

The human parts are wonderfully dumb and make absolutely no sense. The monster parts are usually inspired and make absolutely no sense. Perfect symmetry. There is nothing to complain about here, and the comparison to the mostly dull as ditchwater Blind Dead movies is hereby refuted.

Case closed!

Re: Spookies

The human parts are wonderfully dumb and make absolutely no sense. The monster parts are usually inspired and make absolutely no sense. Perfect symmetry. There is nothing to complain about here, and the comparison to the mostly dull as ditchwater Blind Dead movies is hereby refuted.

Case closed!
Are you one of the humans from the movie? That's the only explanation I can think of for this opinion.

*googles insulting limericks that rhyme with Rock*
When you insult me, you also insult the memory of Rock Hudson. Remember that before you come out with obscene limericks.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
One other thing.
The consensus around here was that Ghost Ship (1980) was actually truly bad and not worth watching, correct?

I haven't seen it personally, but the consensus I've always seen is that the opening sequence is spectacular. The rest is something of a snoozefest.

I'd be willing to give it a go, it's just so far down on my list of stuff to watch I'll probably save it till October.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

The trick is not minding
One other thing.
I occurred to me we may be confusing Ghost Ship (2002) with Death Ship (1980). Both have similar premises, and even similar posters, but are different films entirely.
Both suck, so they have that going for them at least.

The trick is not minding
Ok, what are your guys opinions on the following films:
The Witch part 1 Subversion
(Note that this is a South Korean film not to be confused with The Witch)

Svaha The Sixth Finger

Hagazussa

Demon
(Polish film)

I plan on watching all 4 eventually, regardless.

The trick is not minding
The only one of these I've seen, but I love this.
I remember Jinn recommending Demon and Hagzussa since I liked The Witch. He even felt the former films were better than The Witch. Going to prioritize these four.

Going to watch Svaha first, which deals with a cult centered around some demon child.

Well worth a watch imo.

Hagazussa
I remember liking The Witch quite a bit (I don't remember it being horror, though, so kinda surprised to see it on this thread). I wonder if Part 2 is ever gonna come? Hagazussa was merely OK but still definitely worth a watch.

Here's what I wrote about The Witch back in the day:

The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion  

And Hagazussa:

Hagazussa