The Last Airbender - Disappointingly Short

→ in
Tools    

Just came back from the midnight show. The movie was really good but I wish I hadn't spent $15.50 to see it in realD. Also to note that the teaser trailer of last year wasn't even in the movie.

The only thing I found to be truly disappointing was that the movie was too short. When it comes to movies like these you expect a 2 hour or more movie and instead you get a movie that is 1 hour and 43 minutes. This movie could have been greatly expanded without it feeling like filler scenes. As a fan of the cartoon there was a lot of things that could have been added without threatening the sequal(s).

I don't know maybe its just me. I would love to read other's thoughts on the movie .

Hey all, I just saw The Last Airbender 3D, I must say, it was horrendous. I am a die hard fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is a masterpiece, but what this movie did is unnameable. There are way to many things for me to say because I would be here for days writing this so to start off M. Night got pretty much ALL the names wrong and so many other words. Aang is not pronounced Eng, Iroh is not pronounced Eroh and Sokka is pronounced like Socka not whatever they said in the movie. Also they mention the word Agni Kai in the film yet they pronounce it like Agni Kii with emphasis on the "ii" which sounded messed up! And then when they visit the Earth Kingdom, he somehow manages to smush like 4 different villages into one and we don't even know the names of the people that they meet. They don't even mention Appa or Momo's name, total mess up. I will give him credit for the CGI which does look amazing but for the 3D, there was nothing, in the very first scenes he gives homage to the show by showing the 4 elements but the elements didn't jump out of the screen as if they were attacking you and it never happened in the movie either. Another point is the firebenders...like WTF?! why cant they produce their own fire unless they are a "master" like "Eroh" and can only control fire that is already made. And how does he expect to make a the other 2 books when he didn't even finish the first, there are so many things that have been left out its unbearable, like where was Roku? and was the "Dragon Spirit" Roku's dragon Fang? and was that boy in the Earth Kingdom Haru? One last thing, WHATS WITH ALL THE FACE SHOTS? like I know M. Night makes horror movies, but The Last Airbender is NO WHERE CLOSE to a horror movie, I don't want to see a 12 year olds face when hes about to airbend, and another thing since I reminded myself of bending, how come the movements took 400 hours to do to get the smallest result and non of the movements flowed with the bending taking place. The Waterbenders are supposed to have long graceful movement that flow like water, they had short quick and erratic movements that didn't resemble the movement of water at all. That's all I'm going to say now since I don't want to get carpal tunnel from rage writing all this and the movie gets a 2/10 from me...the only reason is because of the CGI.

I can't see how you liked the film. I was truly disappointed being in love with the cartoon and it could have been WAY longer with WAY more fill-ins, he pretty much took some episodes smashed them together and hoped it would be good, don't see how he's gonna make book 2 and 3

Wow... You were really a die hard fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender.. do you really disappointed when you watch The Last Airbender Movie? Looks for sure to me.

That is definitely a review for the wall...
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Do I pronounce your "name" Cur-bee, Curb-ee, Cur-bI or Curb-I? Happy Bending.
Ok my name is pronounced Cur-bee and since I see where you got stuck I will aid you, Aang is pronounced Ain-g, Iroh is pronounced I-row, Sokka is pronounced Sock-aw and Agni Kai is pronounced Ag-ni K-ai. In the film M. Night for some reason no one knows decided to change the pronunciation which doesn't make any sense to me. Hoped that helped you

Wow... You were really a die hard fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender.. do you really disappointed when you watch The Last Airbender Movie? Looks for sure to me.
Yes I was actually my friends and I all went to see it because we love the show and on the way back home I think for 40 mins out of a 1 hour car ride we just talked about how bad the movie was. We were all just so livid after the movie that the only thing we could talk about was how bad it was.

Ahh I see, sorry about that and can't say the same thing happened to me

Knowing who wrote & directed the movie I went into to film with very low expectations especially after paying money to see his last disaster The Happening. And thats the key to watching this movie and any movie I seen so far this summer. I went in expecting a complete butchering of Avatar, but was surprised that while Night did butcher the original it was still an engaging film to watch. You need to completely blank your mind and forget the original exists for 1 hour and 43 minutes.

And it will be interesting to see how he will put the books together after leaving so much out in the first movie.

I know absolutely nothing about the source TV show. I just wanted to highlight my favorite moments of your review.

I am a die hard fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is a masterpiece
he somehow manages to smush like 4 different villages into one
They don't even mention Appa or Momo's name
Another point is the firebenders...like WTF?!
was the "Dragon Spirit" Roku's dragon Fang?
WHATS WITH ALL THE FACE SHOTS?
I don't want to see a 12 year olds face when hes about to airbend

It is barely hanging on at 5% and it is a shame, too; I rather wanted to see it.

Critical opinion seems nearly unanimous on this one, which is a shame. It looked fantastic. It really did.

The complaints I'm hearing really ring, true, too: that it feels too childlike, and that it keeps throwing weird rules and conventions at us so that we never feel situated in their world. That second one, in particular, is a problem with a lot of films like this, so I don't have any trouble believing it's spot-on.

Such a bummer. This seemed like such a good fit for Night, both in terms of getting back to more populist fare (which he does incredibly well; certainly better than the esoteric stuff), and to kickstart a promising franchise. Meh.

A system of cells interlinked
Damn man, I was hoping this would be decent.

A system of cells interlinked
Meanwhile, I really believe Anime is Anime because that's where it belongs. The concepts and style fit best in that medium. Live Action attempts never seem to work well.

Meanwhile, I really believe Anime is Anime because that's where it belongs. The concepts and style fit best in that medium. Live Action attempts never seem to work well.
Sigh. Poor Akira, Bebop, and GiTS.

Yoda, this must be a bummer since I know you are a fan of his.

Are you going to go see it?
It'd be more of a bummer if I didn't have Lady in the Water and The Happening (and, to a lesser extent, The Village) to prepare me for the possibility that it could be bad. That said, it just seemed like such a terrific marriage, and the trailers looked awfully good, and the source material...

Gah. Can't even talk about this. For a solid 6-8 months I was convinced that this was exactly the sort of project Night needed to get his head right and start making the kinds of films he's so clearly capable of making again.

Funnily enough, that might happen anyway, but out of desperation rather than a resurgence. Having to scale back to more modest, minimalist projects could go him a lot of good. I was looking forward to The Last Airbender in its own right, but I was mostly looking forward to what it might do for Night's projects going forward. In that sense, a terrific failure might be just as valuable as a terrific success.

I realize I haven't answered your question: will I see it? I honestly don't know. I'm leaning against it, at the moment, but the ways in which it goes wrong could be interesting in their own right, and sometimes the best reviews come out of the worst movies.