Overrated films

Tools    

Doc, Any film that gets 'mountains of praise' already has a strike against it. Why?

Because our minds are more creative than most movies and so we image it will be so much better than it is. At least that's what happens to me.

Sort of the same phenomenon where the book is often better than the movie.

I Wanna Be Loved By You
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
The Avengers (2012)
Man of Steel (2013)
Boyhood (2014)

I Wanna Be Loved By You
Why Man of Steel?
For me Man of Steel is nothing but some special effects. I.m.o. the storyline was just sad and Henry Cavill has zero charisma. Absolutely nothing classic about it, I think.

The IMDb rating is 7.3/10, I would rate it: 3/10.

This is exactly my point, who even considers it a classic? Hence not overrated.

Otherwise I agree completely with what you said.

I personally like to call these films "Movies I don't like others seem to do." If anyone wants me to explain why I don't like some of these films, I will be more than welcome to. I just don't have the time now because the list is large.

(Forward-This list isn't 100% for placement, but it is for my 1-10 rating though.)

49. Tootsie

48. Topper

47. Puss in Boots

46. Some Like It Hot

45. My Neighbor Totoro

44. The Adventures of Tintin

43. Young Frankenstein

42. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
(PS-The Sequel was funny though)
41. Monsters University

40. Lee Daniels' The Butler

39. Ted

38. The Outsiders (Novel was better)

37. Top Gun?

36. Thief (1981)

35. The Cotton Club

34. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

33. Little Caesar

32. His Girl Friday

31. For Me and My Gal

30. Caddyshack

29. Mission: Impossible

28. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

27. Midnight in Paris

26. CHARLIE and the Chocolate Factory

25. Daniel Craig James Bond Films

24. Fletch

23. Operation Petticoat

22. Meet Me in St. Louis

21. Godzilla, King of Monsters! (AKA The bad Raymond Burr Version of a Wonderful Movie, Gojira)

20. Sabotage (1936)

19. On Moonlight Bay

18. They Shall Have Music

17. Chinatown

16. Of Mice and Men (1992)
(I have nothing against Steinbeck's wonderful novella. I'm against this adaptation of it)
15. Minority Report

14. The Pirate

13. She Done Him Wrong

12. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

11. American Hustle

10. 42nd Street

9. The Last of the Mohicans

8. Dead Poets Society

7. The Bank Dick

6. Some Came Running

5. Leave her to Heaven

4. Monkey Business

3. The Last Picture Show

2. The Grand Budapest Hotel

1. A Christmas Story

To me there really isn't such a thing as 'overrated'. Overrated by who? The mass? Then you are probably the odd one out with a film that just doesn't fall in your taste.

But I do use the word anyways, but I usually hold back and only use it when absolutely certain in my case - and that's still just personal opinions...

Anyways, I'll drop a bomb here and say Citizen Kane is overrated in everything but it's technical aspect. More fascinating than enjoyable imo.

There are people who rate Puss In Boots? I haven't seen any.

16. Of Mice and Men (1992)
(I have nothing against Steinbeck's wonderful novella. I'm against this adaptation of it)
Why?

There are people who rate Puss In Boots? I haven't seen any.
The film has 84% on Rotten Tomatoes so I think it could count.

I'm sorry but I personally I don't think this is a good adaption of Mice and Men. In retrospect, I do think my
was a little harsh. I decided to change it to

The reason why I didn't really like this film was because, other than Candy, I didn't really like any of the actors and I don't think it gave the emotional impact the novella did. I can perfectly see why most people like this adaptation by personally I wasn't impressed by it. I have no problem with people liking movies I don't and vice versa. You are more than welcome to like.

The only ones I'd really go against (tha i've seen) are Leave her to Heaven, Chinatown and Top Gun. I quite like 42nd Street, but it's a musical, so I have no problem with anyone rating it/them lowly, as I usually don't like them. I don't need explanations.