The MoFo Top 100 of the Nineties

→ in
Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
So,any recommendations what to watch?
Here is a link to some of the members top 10: http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=27860 That will probably give you some ideas.

I'd also use google. You can search some best of lists from the 90's and go genre specific so you can get off the beaten path a bit. For example: Best foreign movies of the 90's, best horror, best independent movies, and so on. Shop around. You have plenty of time to watch a lot of movies and come up with a personal list

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I feel like there are so many good films from the 90's that it's going to be difficult to finalise a 25.

Maybe we could make it a top 50 instead. I just know I'm going to have a page with about 40 films on it and a cold sweat running down my face trying to get 25.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of Micheal Mann love on the forums
The guy will get plenty of support from me. I'm probably his biggest fan on this forum. Miami Vice and Public Enemies barely missed out my Top 25 of the Millium cut.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The guy will get plenty of support from me. I'm probably his biggest fan on this forum. Miami Vice and Public Enemies barely missed out my Top 25 of the Millium cut.
I'm a rival for his biggest fan on mofo's then. He is my personal favourite Director. Basically love all his film work although "The Keep" was a bit meh, just saw that for the first time recently.

These I would rate as 10/10 perfection.

Thief
Manhunter (Probably the best)
Heat
The Insider
Collateral
Last of the Mohicans

9/10

Ali
Public Enemies

8/10 or worse

Miami Vice
The Keep

Really hope he makes a few more films now that "Luck" has been cancelled.

My top 25 list for the 90's:

25. Once Upon a Time in China/Wong Fei Hung (Hark Tsui) (1991)

24. Fireworks/Hana-bi (Takeshi Kitano) (1997)

23. The Big Lebowski (1998)

22. Central Station/Central do Brasil (Walter Salles) (1999)

21. Saving Private Ryan (1998)

20. Madadayo (Akira Kurosawa) (1993)

19. Forrest Gump (1994)

18. Ghost in the Shell/Kôkaku kidôtai (Mamoru Oshii) (1995)

17. The Truman Show (1998)

16. Leon: The Professional (1994)

15. In The Name of the Father (1993)

14. Unforgiven (1993)

13. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

12. Terminator 2 (1991)

11. Goodfellas (1990)

10. The Shawshamk Redemption (1994)

9. Dreams (Akira Kurosawa) (1990)

8. The Matrix (1999)

7. Gattaca (1997)

6. Pulp Fiction (1994)

5. Porco Rosso/Kurenai no buta (Hayao Miyazaki) (1992)

4. Schindler's List (1993)

3. Whisper of the Heart/Mimi wo sumaseba (Yoshifumi Kondo) (1995)

2. Only Yesterday/Omohide poro poro (Isao Takahata) (1991)

1st. Princess Mononoke/Mononoke Hime (Hayao Miyazaki) (1997)hi

Note that 1st place didn't show up in my top 100 because I consider it a remake of my 2nd place in my top 10 of all time, that means it is my favorite conventional movie of all time (i.e. conventional in the sense that's based on storytelling, has a linear plot, etc).

So the best "normal" movie of the 1990's, in my opinion, is my 4th place, Schindler's List. All the top 3 are Ghibli movies. I would advise people to watch Princess Mononoke with subtitles because the dubbed version is much weaker. Also, Only Yesterday might be a more accessible anime film since it is a slice of live drama without anything that might be considered silly (like talking animals).

I watched Lars von Trier, Breaking the Waves recently. It is excellent, I could put into my list in the last places, but it wouldn't make any difference anyway, as the last places gather very few points.

I was never able to watch any of his movies except Collateral, which I rate as excellent (
).

Just a reminder to people who are participating:

And it's not officially a rule, but it would be preferred if members kept their lists private until after the full list has been unveiled. Thanks.

Here's my watchlist for this one.
My ratings for some of these:

Unforgiven

Malcolm X

Titanic

Braveheart

The Usual Suspects

The Sixth Sense

Shakespeare in Love

The English Patient

Scream

Three Colours: Red
(the best part of the trilogy IMO, though that's like The Return of the King in the sense that it was the climax that build up to that point)
Breaking the Waves

Secrets and Lies

In the Name of the Father

Eyes Wide Shut

Edward Scissorhands

Princess Mononoke

12 Monkeys

Jerry Maguire

I wouldn't recommend P.M. as much to other people as I recommend to myself, however, as it is not easy to get unlike other audiovisual media (it just has too much "silly" stuff in it for ordinary film buffs to swallow). Only Yesterday is the anime film for people who are not anime fans to watch, IMO.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I watched Lars von Trier, Breaking the Waves recently. It is excellent, I could put into my list in the last places, but it wouldn't make any difference anyway, as the last places gather very few points.
Then why put anything in the last places at all? Submit a top 20 if you don't think it's worth submitting a top 25, but don't leave off good films based on assumptions about what other people will vote for. I think there are a lot of good films like Breaking the Waves which have a good chance of making the final 100, but no chance if people don't vote for them.

I have no intention of posting my list early especially since we have specifically been asked not to do so. But there's a good chance Breaking the Waves will be on it.

I am just trying to get people to watch Only Yesterday to get it into the top 100!
That sounds like a reason to talk about that film, then, rather than post the whole list, which Harry made it pretty clear he'd rather people not do.

NEW RULE

Okay then, since some people can't play proper without official rules, from this point on if you post your list here it will automatically be disqualified.

(original post edited to reflect this)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'm glad it's official now Harry. I think this will make it way more intresting.

I really don't understand the obsession with Pulp Fiction. I like the movie -- I have a framed picture of the poster, in fact -- I used to have a t-shirt of the poster (I don't think I still do, unfortunately -- it was a rad t-shirt.)

It's a good movie, but I don't understand why it's... like, gotta be #1 when it comes to the 90's. How many people REALLY love Pulp Fiction that much? How many times have you watched it?

It's not that I feel the praise is overrated, but... it's like a god among movies. I'm over it. It is not some kind of holy grail. It was just a movie that really put Quentin Tarantino on the map. And I don't think it's really that incredible of a movie. It is just a movie like so many other movies I have seen. Sure, it's made well and it's something I'd watch more than once - and I have - but I would never sell my soul to it. I wouldn't profess it to be better than other things I really love more.