Total film's 100 Greatest movies

Tools    

District B13
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Obi: To me, all you do is go against what is popular to be one of those "I'm cool because I hate mainstream" type of people.....or could I be wrong?

Well, I've already stated justification for my actions numerous times. I find it quite silly that you manage to bring this up when the topic has been nailed in the head several times. It is an easy way out for you, and it makes you look unintelligent.

But again, here I go.

Movies that I consider overrated are movies that A. People like and B. I do not like.

I will admit that when I see a movie that is highly praised or commercially successful and I find it absolutely boring I will grow to hate it more because of that, but I simply do not hate a popular movie because I'm going against the grain. (I liked Dick Tracy)

I USE overrated movies because I believe it conveys MY personal opinion on movies. If I were to quote bad movies as being bad, it wouldn't mean anything because a bad movie is universally bad. However, an overrated movie, is what I believe, the great conveyor of one's opinions. I don't like Tarantino, now that I've seen every single one of his films, I believe he just modernizes popular genres and puts snappy dialogue in them. That is my opinion, so when I hear "Kill Bill is a work of art" I laugh at it and state my opinion why it's overrated. If someone makes a bad movie, then it's not useful for me arguing points that critics and fans would already say. My opinion never really translates.

If I seem annoying to you it is because I am voicing an alternate opinion to yours. And could the fault actually be with you not accepting that someone doesn't like Quentin Taratino's corpse count.

After all, your argument is that I merely go against the sand to get attention. That is not my purpose, and If I sound that way it is a fault of my own, but not of my goal, and not of what I stand for. So, maybe you should ask yourself if it is you with the problem. And maybe you need to grow as a human being.

Why I do not like Heat and Why I think it's overrated: "Two mafioso actors in a bad dialogue cliche plot with some decent action scenes."

I do not care what the ensemble is if isn't good.

The Usual Suspects had a great ensemble cast, but it had plot and originality and good film conventions.

Heat had a good ensemble, but just focused on the ensemble part, I can't appreciate a movie for that. If YOU can, or if anyone else likes it, then I can't sit on a soap box and preach that you are wrong, your opinion is just as important as mine.

Thusly, I repeat, I do NOT go against the grain for the sake of getting attention. Further statements directed at me like that will no longer be answered as they are childish excuses without any merit.

Oh, and here are some *non* mainstream movie choices that I liked:
The Godfather Trilogy
Back to the Future Trilogy
Star Wars Trilogy
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
On the WaterFront
Akira
Batman
The Usual Suspects
Memento
LA confidential
Requiem for a Dream
Go
Mr. Smith goes to Washington
Gone with the Wind
Rear Window
X-men 1&2
Million Dollar Baby
Chicago
City of God
Nightmare Before Christmas
Toy Story

After posting a list like that I suppose you'll want to call me a sheep following mainstream movies. How should I prepare my argument against that?

District B13
Originally Posted by adidasss
^^damn you like to write a lot don't you.....
And you like to make a whole lot of worthless posts don't you.....

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Heat had a good ensemble, but just focused on the ensemble part, I can't appreciate a movie for that.
How is it focusing just on the ensemble part? The only one here that is focusing on the ensemble part only seems to be you.

And you like to make a whole lot of worthless posts don't you.....
You won't be here in 2 days, my friend...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

If this movie is a depiction of manhood then I'm having sex with Charlize Theron. The whole movie had some poor dialogue. The whole point of the movie was to meet up two mafia stars in an action movie. It had it's moments but it was meant to sell the movie.

When anyone talks about this movie it's alway Al Pacino and De Niro. Nothing more. If you can appreciate it for more, then more power to you, but I just didn't find anything with it.
For me, Heat is the great Michael Mann's own version of a classic cops and robbers picture. Its more of an intense character driven piece than a blow 'em up blockbuster, although the action is top-notch anyway. True, much of the marketing for the flick was aimed towards the much anticipated DeNiro-Pacino matchup, but the actual film was about a lot more than that.

By the way - shut up.

Seriously, you need to chill brutha.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Thank you, it IS your fault, you should make your comments more clear and less...hmmm, what's the word.....forceful?

Suspect's Reviews

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I bought last months by way of experiment. It contained an amazing review for a new movie called, I think, Gillette Mach III (ain't seen the first two Gillette Mach films though) about a buzzy razor.

Nice glossy 6 page spread though but tediously interrupted by facile George Lucas adverts. I hate it when they fill magazines up with junk but was heartened by the peview section which contained reports on Halifax Mortgage (starring some bald bloke with thick specs, I think it's Delroy Lindo) and Bose Phallic Speakers (possibly a Sci-Fi).
Wait a minute. I'm starting to think that you never bought last months Empire magazine at all!

Hmmm.

District B13
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
How is it focusing just on the ensemble part? The only one here that is focusing on the ensemble part only seems to be you
As I've said before, this is what was sold to me, this is what people told me. This is what reviewers said, I don't know what else to say, when I expect something I expect something. I DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE. Whenever someone disagrees with me, it's their own opinion, whenever I disagree with someone else it is a fault of my own.

You won't be here in 2 days, my friend...
What a double standard, I get insulted, say something back, then I get blamed. Worthless accusation on your part. You don't scare me, your simple diegisis of the situation at hand lends itself to my factual knowledge that you aren't the administrator and therefore have no clout other than whiney tone. Please.

If I seem annoying to you it is because I am voicing an alternate opinion to yours.
Let's make one thing clear. You're not annoying because you voice an alternate opinion. I, and I suspect many others here, welcome alternate opinions. That's what makes interesting discussions.

But you have a tendency of attacking the person who holds an opinion different from your own. As if they're morons for not sharing your obviously correct opinion. Opinions about movies are subjective things. There is no one correct opinion.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Twain
Let's make one thing clear. You're not annoying because you voice an alternate opinion. I, and I suspect many others here, welcome alternate opinions. That's what makes interesting discussions.

But you have a tendency of attacking the person who holds an opinion different from your own. As if they're morons for not sharing your obviously correct opinion. Opinions about movies are subjective things. There is no one correct opinion.
Good point.

I agree with a lot of obiwatsit's opinions on film. The method of getting these opinions across is starting to bore me though.

But hey! Some folks might hate babble and lame puns, in which case I could very well be run out of town...

Originally Posted by Sinny McG
Wait a minute. I'm starting to think that you never bought last months Empire magazine at all!

Hmmm.
Honestly I did! Not the one in shops now, but the October edition. I'd love to be able to tell you what was in it by way of proof but Empire ended up in my blue bin 3 days later so it's half way to becoming egg boxes...

EDIT - The Sinnster was calling my honesty into question!

District B13
Originally Posted by Twain
If you welcome open opinions then don't shoot mine down by saying that I pick movies because I want to be cool. The Usual Suspect never gives me credit, his opinion is only right, so thusly, you should be talking to him.

I've been wrongly attacked thrice now by PiddZilla and TheUsualSuspect and Addidasss. I only responded to their accusations and was rude in doing so and I believe justified in my action.

I can accept that people like Heat, I've said that already. I can accept that people think this is a good movie, I've said that already. I only voiced my opinion on the matter and nothing more, their was nothing wrong with my output of the topic.

But, like I said, Piddzilla and theUsualSuspect and Addiddass goaded me, therefore I responded. If I was a better human being I wouldn't stoop down to filth, but I'm not, and that's my fault.

Now, Let me make this clear, heat is crap, in my opinion. Yet I totally accept all forms of praise for this movie, etc.

Trying to have a civil debate, starting again, what don't you like about Heat, Obi?

I thought it was a well directed and polished cat and mouse thriller with great peformances from two of today's greatest actors and strong supporting cast. I found the action scenes to be choreographed extremely well and the ending didn't play to Hollywood conventions, as in it opted out of the big bang affair, which overall helped make Heat an intelligent and refreshing change.

If you welcome open opinions then don't shoot mine down by saying that I pick movies because I want to be cool. The Usual Suspect never gives me credit, his opinion is only right, so thusly, you should be talking to him.

I've been wrongly attacked thrice now by PiddZilla and TheUsualSuspect and Addidasss. I only responded to their accusations and was rude in doing so and I believe justified in my action.

I can accept that people like Heat, I've said that already. I can accept that people think this is a good movie, I've said that already. I only voiced my opinion on the matter and nothing more, their was nothing wrong with my output of the topic.

But, like I said, Piddzilla and theUsualSuspect and Addiddass goaded me, therefore I responded. If I was a better human being I wouldn't stoop down to filth, but I'm not, and that's my fault.

Now, Let me make this clear, heat is crap, in my opinion. Yet I totally accept all forms of praise for this movie, etc.
take a chill pill mate, i have no idea why you mentioned me, i never attacked you

District B13
take a chill pill mate, i have no idea why you mentioned me, i never attacked you
Really?
^^damn you like to write a lot don't you.....
why do i get this "i'm pissed off at the world" vibe from you?

you consider that an attack? clearly you are not very forum experienced, the fact is that you do like to write a lot and i can't be arsed to read it all, and the second comment was simply a vibe i got from you, you ooze hostility....

I am having a nervous breakdance
What a double standard, I get insulted, say something back, then I get blamed. Worthless accusation on your part. You don't scare me, your simple diegisis of the situation at hand lends itself to my factual knowledge that you aren't the administrator and therefore have no clout other than whiney tone. Please.
Scare you?? I'm just making an observation. With that attitude I don't think you'll last very long on this forum....

District B13
Scare you?? I'm just making an observation. With that attitude I don't think you'll last very long on this forum....
It was a rude threat, and off topic.

Please, start being human beings and pmming me with your flames, but lets leave this topic be.

I'm as much to blame, but this toppic doesn't deserve these wars.

Movies that I consider overrated are movies that A. People like and B. I do not like.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
flames of hostility, wont somebody think of the children!
lol
anyway im still reeling from the shock that people dont think fight club should even be on that list!

I thought star wars would and should be much higher up than it is, the godfather too now i think about it
Blade Runner, 47, what happened there, honestly people

Im glad Donnie Darko made on there, even if it was quite low
I however cannot stand Back to the future and i dont think it should have been included

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by undercoverlover
I however cannot stand Back to the future and i dont think it should have been included
Lists? Where we're going we don't need lists...