Name the film,settle my argument

Tools    

reservoir dogs circa 1881
Ive just been arguing with a friend he says he saw a van damme film when he was younger and the plot he gave me sounds like no film ive ever seen nevermind one starring van damme so help me name this film so i can quash his argument once and for all!
It starts with the hero being some kind of public servant possibly a cop trying to save a child in a hospital.The hero is then killed in an explosion but wakes up on an island which he finds is populated by convicts he has arrested who also died.The whole place is some kind of scientific experiment which the hero escapes by slicing off his thumbprint and sticking onto some kind of scanner to deactivate lasers in the surrounding sea.

I am very proud to say that I am no Jean-Claude Van Damme expert. But a quick look through his filmography yields no such flick. In Death Warrant (1990) his character is a cop in prison, but he's undercover and there's no Sci-Fi element. Something called In Hell (2003) has him in a Russian Prison, but he's not a Cop and it's neither an island nor Sci-Fi. The Van Damme pics that do have Sci-Fi in 'em (Universal Soldier, Cyborg, Time Cop) don't involve any island.

So I feel safe in saying it ain't a Van Damme movie.

What it is, I don't know. It's vaguely like the set-up for No Escape (1994) starring Ray Liotta, but the rest of the details don't jibe. Or in his memory he's mashing up a few different movies.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Oi, Cyborg... I saw that in the frippin theater.

Boatloads of asstastic stuff in that flick. No island, though...

I'm also pretty certain that there's no such movie. Your description does sound like a mish mash of films, and Mr. Pike's suggestion above sounds the most likely. Whatever it is, your friend is definitely wrong about it being a Van Damme flick. Could it be from a TV series?

Another possibility is Stuart Gordon's 1993 film Fortress, though it's not set on an island.

yeah no escape was brought up by me he had heard of that and it definately wasnt it.I have no clue the fingerprint part has me the most it sounds familiar but i cant tie it down unless he has an amalgamate of films in his head i guess we wont know for sure thanks though

It starts with the hero being some kind of public servant possibly a cop trying to save a child in a hospital.The hero is then killed in an explosion but wakes up on an island which he finds is populated by convicts he has arrested who also died.The whole place is some kind of scientific experiment which the hero escapes by slicing off his thumbprint and sticking onto some kind of scanner to deactivate lasers in the surrounding sea.
Unless it's one of his newer movies that's come out since 2000, which it doesn't sound like it, then he is wrong. I was able to check those movies that were questioned up above, and I have seen his 80's movies. As well as a lot from the 90's.

Don't blame me. Before I heard about his . . . troubles . . . this was all I saw . . . .

No Retreat, No Surrender (1986)

Minus that dumb look on his face.

No Retreat, No Surrender was my favorite. Where no one could beat him, until Bruce Lee started talking, and training Jason . . . etc, etc.

Bruce Lee could have so kicked Claude's ass.

Anyway, if he swears it is a Jean Claude-Hopper movie, then he seems to be mixing them up. There is one with an island, two where he is dead, but not really, and in one of those, he does save a girl, and they let him disappear in the *cough* explosion. (Replicant) I have never seen any with this thumb print scene.

I also have No Escape, and it isn't that one, either.

See, and people act like these **** movies don't come in handy.

yeah bruce definately would have kicked his butt lets not mention his butt though its graced the silver screen in its naked glory more times than i care to remember,infact jean claudes butt should play freddy krueger in nightmare on elm street remake now that will give you nightmares!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The finger print part reminds me of Double Team....yes I have seen Double Team.

I think you have two movies mixed in one or something.

Suspect's Reviews

You guys should definitely check out this page if you hate jean-claude and all his comrads so much

http://www.cracked.com/article_15819...h-dignity.html

really funny!!!

Read Nosher Powell's biography. I think he was about 70 and he was teaching Van Damme how to box for a film since all he did was kick. Van Damme wanted to fight him for real afterwards so they did. Powell ducked Van Damme's kick and staggered him with a hard blow and that was enough for him. He called the fight off.