TylerDurden99's Top 50 Favourite '80's Tracks

Tools    

I missed yesterday's post, but it's great. Madonna at her sexiest (to me) and, maybe her best song,which I'm currently listening to, along with a cracking Motley Crue track, Aerosmith (I prefer the earlier stuff, but the best of the later years is up there with anything they did earlier), Maiden (not my favourite, but it's pre 90 Maiden) and the great I Can Dream About You which until reading this I didn't know was Dan Hartman.

That last post.... Erm... Well, I like the H&O track. But not enough to rep that post. Sorry, TD. Keep 'em coming, though.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Here's the final five for y'all...

5. I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner (1984)

This is the gold standard of '80's ballads. All recorded before and after now measured by the perfection of this song. Well, that's my thinking anyway. It's a beautiful song, with astonishing, emotional vocals from Lou Gramm. Another one that's amongst the greatest songs I've ever heard.

4. Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads (1980)

I had heard the studio version of Once In A Lifetime many times in my youth and loved it. But the live version from Stop Making Sense (the one above) took it a whole other level. There was so much energy and soul in the band's and particularly David Byrne's performances that it instantly became my favourite song for years. It's such a wonderful song, and one of the only songs that I've never been able to analyse the meaning of. That doesn't mean I've tried; I'm always too lost in the song to care.

3. Dreams - Van Halen (1986)

David Lee Roth was one of the era's most dynamic frontmen and when he fronted Van Halen, he fronted the '80's-era's most influential rock band. And I went with a Hagar track. I can't defend it - Hagar was inferior to Roth in most ways (excluding vocal power) - but I love this song so much. It's so cheesy, yet sort of inspiring to me. It's one of rock's great anthems.

2. We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off - Jermaine Stewart (1986)

This catchy piece of dance-pop was actually written about the rise of AIDS in the '80's, but that sort of gets lost in the infectious rhythm and the over-the-top production. It's a really fun song despite it's dark subject matter and stands as an overlooked gem in the popular '80's tracks.

1. Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard (1987)

Here it is. My #1. '80's rock in it's truest form: catchy, unabashedly silly and undeniably fun. I have so many great memories associated with this song and every time I listen to it, I can't help but feel happy. There might have been better songs on the list, but none I love more than this. Thanks for reading, everyone.