Kindle???

Tools    

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
Ever since I have been little, I have loved to read. Books to me were a way to distract myself from everyday problems and go somewhere else I would probably never visit. I love the smell of old books just longing to read and be rediscovered anew. I also love the fact you have to turn the page to see what happens next....
This being said, I am thinking of getting a Kindle after Christmas. Does anyone on here own one? If you would take the time to tell me the pros and cons, I would greatly appreciate it. Any hints or tips. Like are you able to surf the net on one? I am looking at getting the Cheapest one. Thank you ahead of time if anyone responds!

Now I am off to do more research on them.

I too am thinking about getting "the cheapest one" sometime soon. However, I do like offsetting my library's budget by paying late fees every week. As for old books, I have always found their smell nauseating to a high degree. However, I am not sure if we are referring to the same kind of smell.

I've been thinking about getting one... sometimes I read 3 or 4 books at the same time... so I think it would make it easier to take them all with me so I could read whichever one floated my boat at that particular time...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

My mom got me one earlier this year. Had a problem with the screen after awhile but they sent me a new one, so I can certainly vouch for the service, not that that'll come as news to anyone who's used Amazon before.

Re: the device itself. I like it. I have more mixed experiences than most because I've, in the early-going, been reading some David Foster Wallace, which has tons of footnotes, and clicking on all of them and then jumping back to your place in the text is crazy annoying. But that's obviously an extreme example. For normal reading, I like it fine. The only issues I ever have are with the contrast, and I hear that's gotten better in the newer versions. Battery life is good, purchases show up quickly, and the thing is just about the right weight. All in all, I dig it, and I'm sure I'll dig it a lot more when I'm reading more normal texts with it.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I bought my wife the newest version, for our anniversary. Of course, they didn't have the $139 one, so I had to settle for the $189 version.

Truth be told, I've actually been using it more than her. They do have an experimental section, where you are able to browse the internet and listen to MP3s, but since the browser is not the primary focus of the Kindle, don't expect something amazing. Plus, with the Kindle's e-Ink, some pages show up funny.

I have found it much easier for me to read using the Kindle, than reading an actual book. I will second Yoda's argument on the footnotes, or getting back to your place in the text. There really is no "easy" way to do it. Then again, there is no "hard" way to do it. It's just a little annoying.

I highly recommend them, if you're a book reader. I even have the Kindle app on my iPhone, so if I want to read a few pages on my phone, then switch back, it'll sync right up to where I left off.

"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I agree with this:

10 Reasons to Hate the Kindles

I don't want a Kindle. How long will the electronic book files survive? That's what I always worry about with downloadable things that you can purchase somewhere else. At least CDs and movies come on discs already when you buy them -- books don't. Can you transfer the book files to CD-R's and copy them?

I'm just worried that I'll spend a lot of money on these electronic books and then lose track of them someday. Even if books can be clunky and dust gathering, they can be easily found - most of the time. I have some kind of natural aversion to things being bought electronically/downloaded.

The downside to a book is that the paper can be ripped to shreds or bent or made to look ugly, but I still prefer it to something downloadable. Besides, I like finding and gathering books at libraries and bookstores.

I feel that computerized entertainment takes a lot of fun out of stuff. I find experiencing a whole book to be very sensual and rewarding. I'm worried that we're slowly turning into lifeless robots that's not gonna have "things" anymore. Have you noticed how much hatred there seems to be today towards actually owning physical items? In my opinion, there's a connection between the Kindle and all of those pack rat, Hoarders type shows. The message is clear: Be a minimalist. Don't hold onto anything!

I think it's kinda sad and unromantic. Hey, maybe there's even a connection between Kindle and the divorce rates? How long are we from the time everyone will have downloadable dates? (starting at $9.95!)

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
out of all those reasons in that article, the one i agree with the most is the bookmark one. because i'm obsessed with anything papery and pretty, and i have built up quite a big bookmark collection. i still use them, though! not everything i read is on the kindle, and i still have my school books.

plus, luckily for me, someday i'll be a teacher! yes. bookmarks will always come in handy.

as for the rest of the reasons: eh, not a big deal. can't leave the kindle unattended for fear of it being stolen? same goes for lap tops, cell phones, and iPods. also, i hate the heft of a big book in my purse (it hurts my back), and i love how lightweight the kindle is.

i have more to say, but i have to go. more later!

I like the thought of them more than I expect I'd like them in real life. If you travel a lot or have long commutes to work or something they must be great, much better than carrying heavy books around. But what if you like to lend your books around like I do with some of my friends, and borrow them too. If everyone had them what would eventually happen to the wonderful secondhand bookshop - I lurve those